Echo CS-490 or CS-4910 or ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was the 490 different in a good way? I’m on the fence whether a new 490 is better than a new 4910. I have read that a new 490 takes awhile to break-in/ can be moody re starting. I haven’t heard much about any 4910 issues, or if it is even a popular model.
490 has less power, different carb, different coil. 4910 is considerably better

My Echo cs490 is my least favorite saw. Love my other Echo's but the anti vibe and lack of power turn me off. I could deal with the power but the av just doesn't cut it when compared to my Stihl and Husqvarna. I expect that the cs4910 and 501p are similar because of their rubber bushings. IMO Echo should update all their saws to be more like the cs3510.

The CS-490 is "weak" for a 50cc saw. Even with a minor muffler mod and limiter caps removed it's not impressive anyplace. It does have excellent "pro" saw features and very well built.

I have quite a few other 50cc saws here to compare it to so it's not like I don't know how one should run. If I did own one (I sent the ones that came in here on down the road) I'd outfit it with a 16" bar and at that point it would make an excellent limbing saw as it's pretty light weight, ergonomic and good anti-vibe.

Haven't had a CS-4910 in here to compare but they are supposed to have more power.

The "sleeper" in the Echo line-up for 50cc is the CS-510. Just eliminate the long restrictive "tube" inside the muffler, modify the limiter caps to add some fuel and it's a HOME-RUN in every area. It's my "go-to" saw here for smaller work.......
IMG_4510.JPGIMG_4512.JPG

Was the 490 different in a good way? I’m on the fence whether a new 490 is better than a new 4910. I have read that a new 490 takes awhile to break-in/ can be moody re starting. I haven’t heard much about any 4910 issues, or if it is even a popular model.
No dont get the 490. Get the 4910 or 501. 490 no longer made for a reason.

Wish mine were a 4910 501 p+c and coil etc.

Christmas sales you could get the 4910 under 300 shipped.

e490limbing.jpg

It dont matter now does it, that is gone gone. Regular price went from 359 to 379 I am told too in latest thread.

Checking one out at a local while grabbing some paks of files.

View attachment 1044599
I'll watch closer next year, that's why I wondered. Orscheln had $50 off $200 for a weekend and I missed it. They were $380 before the 50. Zoro a Grainger division, has it on "sale" for $388 normally $423 so their coupons don't work.

Plastic top handle vs aluminum on the 501
Captive bar nuts on the 501.

501 has the same cylinder and porting arrangement as the 4910, where the 490 was different
The 501p is MSRP priced ~ $100 more than the 4910. As near as I can figure, the upgraded rubber-covered front aluminum handle is listed as ~ $50 retail, and the upgraded rubber covered aluminum rear handle - well, I can’t find a price because the schematics of the 501 and 4910 both have the same part number. I am curious if there are any mechanical differences between the Echo and Shindaiwa equivalent models. (Echo 4910/Shin 492).

I'll watch closer next year, that's why I wondered. Orscheln had $50 off $200 for a weekend and I missed it. They were $380 before the 50. Zoro a Grainger division, has it on "sale" for $388 normally $423 so their coupons don't work.
Echo/ Shindaiwa dealers usually have a 15% off Dealer Days sale once a year. Technically it only applies to X series saws like the 501P. That drops price on 501p to $425. Check with your local dealer when/if they will offer this sale.( usually in late spring).

The 501p is MSRP priced ~ $100 more than the 4910. As near as I can figure, the upgraded rubber-covered front aluminum handle is listed as ~ $50 retail, and the upgraded rubber covered aluminum rear handle - well, I can’t find a price because the schematics of the 501 and 4910 both have the same part number. I am curious if there are any mechanical differences between the Echo and Shindaiwa equivalent models. (Echo 4910/Shin 492).
I’m not certain but I’d think each brand would have an identical brother to the other

If ya really need saw, just get the 501P. There id likely some differences. I got lucky on my 501. It had a few tanks through it and a guy returned it and took his Husky 565XP back. I got it last year for $428 with tax. I think it is my favorite saw between my Stihl 034 and 026. However, my 25 yr. old 026 has an air leak in the heads? and my 31 yr. old 034 needs a carb. The 034 was always my favorite , but the Echo 501P is a real nice saw.

I've NEVER even touched a 4810 or a 501, BUT,,, I'll tell you this.. I've got 3 echo saws including the 490 and I love it. I replaced a Sthil 024 with the cs352 for limbing. I replaced the Sthil 026 with the cs490. I've not picked up my Sthil saws in a few years. I don't like the bar on a Sthil saw. With my Echo saws, I can buy many different bars and chains. My ONLY gripe with the 490 is the drive links are .325 not 3/8. When I wear out the two bars on hand I plan to change the saw to a 3/8 drive saw. For flush cutting stumps I use a Cheap bar and chain from Tractor supply. IF it bolts up, I can move the oil holes to match my saw. On the CS590 I have a long bar used for plunge cuts in big leaners. The bar as sold for Echo but did not oil to please me. I simply enlarged the oil hole. On some bars, I've elongated the oil hole to fit a saw. I'm very happy with Echo saws. In My Opinion the 490 does not need a decompression valve. If I can't pull the rope, how can I actually use the saw. About half the time I forget the 590 hsd a decompression button and I just pull the rope. At my age and semi-retired, I might never see any of the newer saws.. My big ole grandsons are all in the Military now and it's hard to find good help. Mostly I work alone these days. When we are young we are "Wanna be", then as we age we are ", being, doing and becoming", later we age even more and are, "Could of been" or, "Has been".. I'm quickly getting into that last group. LOL..But,, I still love the Echo saws and have finally become an ambidextrous saw filer.. NOW,, IF , I could trade this ole tore up, broken up shot up, cut up, almost used up, old body for a 30 year old one with the strength of my Grandsons I would be ready for a new saw.. I helped raise my grandsons and they became the awesome young men I wish I had been at their ages. I had no parents or grandparents to guide me and had to learn the hard way. I made darn shure to be the best Papaw I could be and pass knowledge to them. Kind men but strong. (i'm sure glad they love me), lol. I remind them often how proud they make me. When the Army Ranger was in Irak, I saved one ole Big old maple for him to drop when he made it home. He loves that cs590..Am I the only one who gets a thrill out of the sound of that hinge breaking as the monster gives way to the music of the Chainsaw. Everytime I see a tree fall from the magic of my Saw, I see a man made Miracle. But, maybe i'm just simple. I still look up when an airplane flies over head, Smile.. Isn't life exciting..Be blessed,

With my Echo saws, I can buy many different bars and chains. My ONLY gripe with the 490 is the drive links are .325 not 3/8. When I wear out the two bars on hand I plan to change the saw to a 3/8 drive saw. For flush cutting stumps I use a Cheap bar and chain from Tractor supply. IF it bolts up,
I tried my ported 490 with full 3/8 and just a 16" Stock or even muffler modded it will really suk.

I only use 325 or 3/8LP picco on that saw for a reason. Even ported not strong enough IMHO for a 3/8 saw. Ya it pulls it but dont pull it like I am used to with a goood 50cc ported.

e490cccccc.jpge49016.jpge490ccccc.jpge490cccc.jpg

Latest posts

Back