Echo cs-490 vs cs-501p

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vonb

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I've been looking at both of these saws hard for the last several months. The difference b/t the two look very minor (captive nuts, aluminum handle, etc). However, everything else looks pretty much the same. I've seen where the 501 mentions that is makes somewhere around 17-20% more power. Is this true? Aren't the using the same engine on both minus carb differences? The best price I'm seeing on the 501 is $449 while the 490 can be had from individuals for as low as $250 new.

For those of you that have ran both, what is your impression? Is the 501 worth an extra $250 and .2 lbs less?

No idea if the 501P is worth the extra coin. I do have experience with the 490 and its a very nice saw. I did a muff mod and removed the carb limiter so I could tune it. Mine ran fine out of the box, but many Echo's come from the factory set dangerously lean. I have other Echo power equipment and bought mainly for the warranty. I have since realized the Echo warranty isnt worth the paper its written on. The muff mod and retune should reduce the chances of my saw leaning out and burning up the engine.

I just wish we could get the nice bars the echos come with in Europe. I dont think the 501 will be $250 better then the 490.

It all depends on the price.Here in Greece the 501SX is like 580$,really expensive.I bought a NIB cs 490 from ebay for 350$(230$ for the saw,50$ shipping and 70$ for customs) which i think it was like i stole it.IMO the cs 490 is the best option,mod the muffler and retune it,it will be a very stronge and reliable saw.It is not like the 590 vs the 620.

Back