Echo CS-490

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wireedm

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've been cutting with a beloved Husqvarna 394xp as my only saw for the last 25 years. It's only used a few times throughout the year to keep the firewood shed stocked and since we have a Blaze King we only use 2-1/2 to 3 cords a year. I'm a little slow, so it has taken this long to figure out that I could use a lighter saw for the smaller stuff.

After doing a lot of due-diligence research to figure out what might be the best fit for me, considering cost, weight, and power, I decided on the Echo CS-490 from our local independent hardware store.

I didn't want to bring home a saw that was light but so under powered I'd just be frustrated. After running my first couple of tanks of fuel through it on a huge white oak we took down I'd have to say that it has exceeded my expectations. Gobs of power for its size, VERY light, balanced, smooth, and starts easily on the first pull.

I'll give a follow-up if I experience any issues.

Sure am hearing a lot more of echoes these days. Hope it is the perfect see for you for another 25 years.

I bought an echo 8000 just over a year ago and have cut close to 150 cords with it so far and love it.

I have a little Echo 305 with a 14" bar. It was bought for up in the trees, but since I don't climb anymore I use it for limbing up firewood. It's a good little saw, I use it up to about 8, maybe 10 inches where it starts getting too slow, then set it aside for something bigger, Joe.

I have a CS-340 and have used it for about 12 years. The plastic teeth (dogs) on the case are flat - it's as if they were never there in the first place. It's the easiest starting saw that I've owned because of the priming bulb, and it's my preferred saw for limbing.

I still have a vintage Echo CS-500. I run it whenever I want to give my Stihls a rest. Sometimes I keep on running it and the Stihls take a long rest. Echo chain saws grow on you.

Last week I serviced an Echo CS-550 that had not been run in over a year and looked like the owner had abused it. I call it "use abuse". Waste crankcase oil was in the bar oil tank and rust was everywhere. I cleaned it all up, refastened the choke lever, flushed out the crankcase oil, added fresh fuel and bar oil, and said a short prayer. It started instantly and ran to perfection. These saws amaze me.

I was kinda jonesing for a 501p but the more i use my 490 the more i love it... hard to justify a couple more hundred bucks for the 501p too. the muffler modification and retuning brought the 490 into the bad arse 50 cc world :)

I've moved to Echo recently for reasons mentioned, value, performance and perceived reliability.

I always carry 2 Echo's with me at all times.....310 and 490.
Can they be beat ? Not for the money.

the only thing I am hearing about the Echo saws is they come from the factory very lean.
the dealer should fuel it the first time in front of you and start it and if needed tunes them a little richer .

the only thing I am hearing about the Echo saws is they come from the factory very lean.
the dealer should fuel it the first time in front of you and start it and if needed tunes them a little richer .

Good point.
This could actually be an issue for the unsuspecting/uneducated buyer.

For most of us on this site it's not likely an issue at all....we muffler mod and retune.

James ain’t lying about the saw really waking up when converted to 3/8 lp. Switched mine over after he did his. I run an 18” bar so I can run same chains on the 490 and 400. It really rips.
I did the same and had the same result... it's a light saber. I'm running an 18" bar.

Back