• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold Echo CS-490

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good question. Poulan Pro with a 16" bar, can't recall the model number, but it has a 40 cc engine. Runs good, and it's pretty tough considering what I've put it through. Also have a Craftsman 16" that was a POS from jump that's been collecting dust for years.

For what it is worth... I have been cutting wood since the 70’s and have used mostly Pro model saws, Stihl, Dolmar, Jonsered and I just bought my first Echo/Shindaiwa and the saw impressed me from the second pull firing up, tuned quickly and cut beautifully . One of the best anti-vibe saws I have held. Going to sell at least one more saw and buy another Echo very soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good question. Poulan Pro with a 16" bar, can't recall the model number, but it has a 40 cc engine. Runs good, and it's pretty tough considering what I've put it through. Also have a Craftsman 16" that was a POS from jump that's been collecting dust for years.
Ok, you have the standard box store model. They're pretty much the same saw regardless what the model sticker says. 3516, 4218, 3314... they all use the same engine. Take another look at the EPA sticker on that saw. My money says it's a 42cc engine.

I have been using Professional saws since WAY back to the mid-1970's. Like everyone else right out of High School I bought and used what I could afford. First saw was a Mac 610, and although pretty much a "turd" for power we cut firewood for three farm houses with it for several years. I saved up my money and bought my first Husqvarna, a 480CD. I still have it today and it has at least a zillion hours on it and still perfect compression and runs as good as it did the day I bought it. In all these years it's only needed a tank vent, kill switch and linkage on the throttle of the Tillotson carb brazed to the shaft.

I also have a really strong 268XP, and two 55's (closed port). Had a nice 181SE and 262XP but sold them recently.

I've filled the voids with Echo saws instead, and seldom use any of the old Husqvarna's. Not because they don't make the grade, I'd rather just beat up on the newer Echo's and parts support for them is solid.

I'm not going to pound my chest here and tell everyone how great Echo saws are. They have a few nice saws in the line-up, and a few "home-runs", and sadly a few "turds" as well. Educate yourself as to which ones are the best of their line-up and which ones to avoid.

My "go-to" saw these days is the CS-510 and CS-590 and the little CS-370 is in the basket on my Quad 24-7 for light work when I'm checking out the trails on my property. No more than 2 pulls ever to fire one up, and they run flawlessly. Pound for pound the CS-510 is the strongest of any Echo saw I've owned, with the CS-600 and CS-620PW a close second. All are stone stock with only limiter caps removed and very minor muffler mods.......Cliff

Husqvarna 480 002.jpg

LOve my Echo 490. Looking for a 16" bar as I feel at 50cc's, 16" is ideal. So far haven't found one with exception of the Woodland Bars on Baileys. Believe they might be universal mount.

I run 18" .325 set-ups with Oregon semi-chisel on all my 50-55cc saws. I've found it is the best compromise between power and bar length. The older you get the more you'll find yourself reaching for smaller saws, but you don't want to increase the work time, so cutting performance is still at the top of the list.

I ran the Echo CS-490 briefly with the 20" bar, but just long enough to make the carb settings. It seemed to have plenty of power but I didn't bury the bar in big material either.......Cliff

Ok, you have the standard box store model. They're pretty much the same saw regardless what the model sticker says. 3516, 4218, 3314... they all use the same engine. Take another look at the EPA sticker on that saw. My money says it's a 42cc engine.

You are correct, looked at it closer after Cliff asked me about it. Thing is pretty tough considering what it cost.

Cut up some red and white oak for firewood this weekend with the new to me Rancher 460, and it worked well. Stout machine compared to what I'm used to.

Oak dulls a chain in a hurry, and I pretty much suck at sharpening. Using stock H80-72 20" Husq chain, doesn't cut nearly as well after my sharpening as it did out of the package.

Oak dulls a chain in a hurry, and I pretty much suck at sharpening. Using stock H80-72 20" Husq chain, doesn't cut nearly as well after my sharpening as it did out of the package.

Have you tried using the Husqvarna roller guide as an aid when sharpening?

Depending on exactly how you suck at sharpening, it can help. I really like them.

ETA: apologies for contributing to the thread drift. GLWS, Cliff!

Back