Echo cs-590

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Casey clagg

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just got my brand new cs-590 it runs awsome. Thinking of doing the muffler mod but I hate to do it under warranty. Can it cause damage to the saw? Also thinking of installing rim sprocket and taking it back to the dealer after the muffler mod and have it retuned. Any thoughts?

Just open up the outlet a little or add another hole under the deflector, don't do it while the muffler is on the saw, and clean it out throughly. You may need to richen the high speed after. Imo wait for the warranty to expire if you are concerned about that.

It’s not the point of having to use the warranty, I haven’t ever used it on a saw either but I hate to void a 2 day old saw just yet. The saw isn’t by any means high dollar but I don’t want to junk the warranty on $400.

I started to but ended up selling the 590 I had.
Makes sense. If you drill a hole in the muffler under the deflector on these saws it makes them very loud, almost to the point of annoying.

I have opened up over 30 of these mufflers and would recommend to just remove the bottom half of the deflector and call it a day, its a 10 minute job (it gives the saw a deeper tone and sounds nice). I have yet to see gains by hogging out the muffler on this model. I'd post pictures but they are on a different phone.

Makes sense. If you drill a hole in the muffler under the deflector on these saws it makes them very loud, almost to the point of annoying.

I have opened up over 30 of these mufflers and would recommend to just remove the bottom half of the deflector and call it a day, its a 10 minute job (it gives the saw a deeper tone and sounds nice). I have yet to see gains by hogging out the muffler on this model. I'd post pictures but they are on a different phone.

Yeah I believe removing a portion of the deflector will suffice on this saw as with the 490 but I did remove the restrictor tube behind the spark arrestor.
Smaller CC Echo's that I've done require drilling " hogging " the muffler.

All you would have to do is buy a 50$ factory muffler off ebay if it ever needed any warranty work done...id go for it...just make sure to richen it up.

Just got my brand new cs-590 it runs awsome. Thinking of doing the muffler mod but I hate to do it under warranty. Can it cause damage to the saw? Also thinking of installing rim sprocket and taking it back to the dealer after the muffler mod and have it retuned. Any thoughts?

I would set the high side limiter as rich as it will go and just run it. I ran mine stock down to the limiters for a year or better. Never noticed a lean condition in temps ranging from 25* to 95*. I hear alot about them being lean from the factory but mine was fine.
The muffler mod isn't really a muffler mod. For a stock saw you just pull the internal baffle out of the deflector. Just the deflector mod is worth a 50% gain in flow through the muffler with out doing anything to the actual muffler.
Honestly I'd just run it stock for awhile.

Short video showing what your talking about with the deflector mod.

Latest posts

Back