Echo CS 590

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenskip1

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I will make this short. I purchased a new Echo CS-590 a few weeks ago. Well in between rain showers I got a short chance to run it. Now I had already performed surgery on the saw. The restrictive module on the muffler has been relocated, and the same for the limiter caps. At first it had hesitation .and lots of it. Now it acts the way I like it. Near instant throttle response. Anyway with a new RS chain on it I put it into some red oak. I had to ease off the throttle. It actually scared me. I have never had a saw with this much muscle. I had before this mission I checked the compression. 175 pounds. Well it again started to rain so I had to head home. For the price this saw is more than I expected .I will mention that I am using pump gas 87 octane with 35/1 Amsoil.590.jpg

I wouldn’t use 87 octane in any modern 2 cycle. Especially if the compression is as high as you say it is.
I would use a 91 range with no ethanol
The owners manual says to use 89 or better grade gas.. This error will be corrected on Monday morning. Thank you for bringing this to my attention, Ken

One of my tree company customers smoked his 391 wearing a 25" bar, he picked up a 590 and put a 25" bar on it and that thing eats...it sips gas, oils great, the timing retard on cold start prevents him from getting too rowdy too soon

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Why not? We run 32’s on them falling timber all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep, the most common bar on a 590 here for oak, cedar, pine, maple, etc is the 25"...

32" on a 60cc powerhead, wow. Even skip chain, I'd be leery. Maybe once or twice for one project.

Maybe I've been selling my own saws short.

19c8751443b3517638d7598cda8750c0.jpg

8f489480a0a87e09dcc407a53eeb4a4f.jpg

Different saw but same class a 562 in NW Oregon about 2 hours north of you. Chains are semi skip square ground.

I wouldn’t use 87 octane in any modern 2 cycle. Especially if the compression is as high as you say it is.
I would use a 91 range with no ethanol
Today after lunch I drained the mix from the tank and refilled my 2 gallon container with fresh 91 octane ethanol free gas and put in a generous helping of Amsoil 40/1. Note $3.13 a gallon for this brew. Thanks again, Ken

Definitely no way I'd do that with my 034S, that's for sure. Maybe a full skip chain, to make a couple cuts on one project, but not on a regular basis.

That saw is still alive and well after doing quite a few projects like that. I’m not cutting firewood though I’m falling and bucking timber which is a really good way to break in a saw.

An 034s would have its entire ass handed to it by a 590...very different saws

Specs I'm finding show 4.6hp for the 034S and 4.7hp for the CS-590. Between book learning and actual experience, I'll go with the experience every time, so will definitely defer to you guys who have trigger time on the CS590, but you can see where I'm coming from too.

I had an 034AV for several years. While I liked the feel of the saw and thought the power was good, my slightly modded 590 eats it alive. The 590 is like an old muscle car to me. It has unbelievable torque and just walks through wood. Eventually, I’d like to try it with a Tsumura bar and chain. The Super is basically a 036 so I can’t comment on it

Back