Echo cs-800p

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well boredom got the best of me and I tore back into the old fashion cs800p. I wanted to bump up compreshion a little more. The last time i cut the base my dial indicator got bumped and I lost my progress. Turned out I did not achieve my goal of .020 squish. Since I was going back in I decided to do a pop up piston. I cut a 10° taper (tried to match factory angle) at .020 depth. 20200330_215117.jpg
I then re cut the base. This time I had to cut the flange that goes into the crank case as well. It was hitting there first, not letting the jug seat all the way down. Which lead to another trip back to the machine shop.

I now have .020 squish. Yayyy! Haha. Now I'm in the process of bringing my ports back up to factory. I'm deciding whether to stagger the transfers. I had a good out come with my 590 and I think I will try it with this jug. I will post new compression numbers and maybe a new video when she is back up and running. I am hoping for over 180psi I guess we shall see.

Here are the old compression #s

Stock: 121 psi 3000ft elv. .051 squish
150 psi after 1st base cut. . 028 squish
155 psi after break in. 3000ft elv.

The saw is back together. And running. I havnt cut any thing yet. The weather is stormy. Snowed here last night.

I'm a little disapointed in the amount the compreshion increased. I checked it after assembly. So it may go up a little when the rings re seat. Also I realize by moving the exhaust port back up to stock, you loose compreshion. So, had i left the EX port low i may have gotten very close to my goal. The compreshion is now 165psi. I will re check once I run the saw some.

I did stagger the transfers like I did on my 590. So here is the how and why. What I do it is after I lower the jug I leave the exhaust side transfer there and I raise the intake side transfer back up. My theory is that the intake side transfer will open first causing a higher presure blast of air and fuel pointed towards the intake to flush the cylinder of exhaust gas. Followed by a lower presure blast of fuel and air from the exhaust side transfer maybe, causing less fuel loss out the exhaust port. I realize the time between them opening happen so fast I'm not even sure how effective this truly is. The good thing is you can always raise the exhaust side transfer up and you will be right back to normal operation of the transfers.

So that's all I got. She is done. Hope she cuts! And I hope this info helps some one out. That's what it's all about. Sharing info.

I will put up a final cutting video of the saw.

Have decided to start a thread dedicated to the Echo cs-800p since there is very little information out there on this saw. I also want to be able to add to the discussion without cluttering up someone else's thread. I was planning to run this saw with just a MM and tune but have changed my mind. I am cutting and pasting some posts into this thread to get it started:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Was planning on running it with just a MM and tune but have now changed my mind. The 800p is so new, there isn't much info out there on it. Yes, it's a revised cs8000 but it appears Echo has re-designed the top end. Reports on the 8000 are typical of Echo: TORQUEY, and will run close to the 90cc's with basic mods. The 800p should only be better.

Unfortunately, I'm not going to get any time on the saw since it now has an appointment in March
:). I decided on getting it ported after doing what little research I could. Now don't hold me to this because, as of now, it's all speculation but...I think the 800p may very well have a chance of performing above the level of a stock 661 or 390xp. At least that's my hope...if it doesn't turn out that way, oh well, nothing lost. I will still have a saw capable of taking care of the big stuff when it comes along.

Interesting, when looking at:

cs800p: PHO: 16 lb, 8 oz. Fuel: 28.9 oz. Oil: 14.1 oz. TTL: 19.18 MSRP: $829.99

390xp: PHO: 16 lb, 6.8 oz. Fuel: 30.43 oz. Oil: 16.91 TTL: 19.38 MSRP: $1,120.00

ms661: PHO: 16 lb, 11.2 oz. Fuel: 27.9 oz. Oil: 12.2 TTL: 19.20 MSRP: $1,289.95

I'm sure I will get flamed for even mentioning the 800p in the same sentence as the 390xp and 661. But, the truth is (to my knowledge), no one really knows. The 800p is new and hasn't been looked at in this way. Like I said, if it doesn't work out like I think it might, nothing lost.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Found a post about porting the cs-8000 from a member named Chainsawbob1 back in 2005:

"I've had two of them done at Greffards shop. They now turn 15,400rpm's no load. With the stock 36" bar, full comp chisel bit chain and cross cutting a 34" dia. fir log it turns 7000rpm's and cutting nice. When I sent them to Dennis I told him I wanted a very workable (not limited time use) saw that would keep up with a stock 066 magnum. It surpasses that request. Good job."

No way of knowing if what he says holds any truth though. Anyway, this is the start and if anyone feels like they have input, feel free to share.
I just had a major problem with the 800p. I bought one brand new owned it for 2 days took off the cover for the air cleaner thought I'd knock the dust off the filter when I pulled the filter I was shocked at what I saw. There was so much debris under the filter in the compartment with carburetor but it was freaking ridiculous enough to wear the shop that I bought it from the two days prior, well let's just say they rebuilt the whole damn thing. I was looking very very forward to this chainsaw was on my way to the Stihl shop when I called the Echo dealer and found somebody that had the 800p on the Shelf I turned around and started heading for that dealer I was really looking forward to that manual override for the oiler which it did what it was supposed to I liked it a lot. Two weeks the shop had my brand new saw for 2 days today I got a refund after the shop before giving me another new chainsaw off the shelf to replace mine figured they test it but it failed for the same reason there and their little test. So I'm here to say I love where Echo was going with it but they have some issues to iron out first watch it when they fix air filter issues I will recommend the soul and I will be getting one myself but unfortunately I have to go buy a still for now to get the job done. Until then I can't wait to get my echo.

did your rubber plug for the carb adjustment fall off? I have never herd of that much wood getting behind the filter unless the plug was removed. That should really be the only way dust could bypass the filter. This saw has bein on the shelf for a very very long time. If this was a issue you should be seeing / reading it everywhere. Let every one know if you find the entrance from the dust.

I had a similar issue with mine, a week into having my 800. It was my fault in my case though. I wasn't good enough about putting that rubber plug back into place just right. Since I rebuilt the top end (it got scratched up from all the dust that got in there), I have been more vigilant about getting that thing in place. I haven't had a problem since. I've had it for 2 years now.

I totally agree with you on that design. If you want to tune the saw, you need to take out that plug which opens up your saw to unfiltered air. Not good if you're into tuning your saw in a cut. It definitely should be changed.

I had a similar issue with mine, a week into having my 800. It was my fault in my case though. I wasn't good enough about putting that rubber plug back into place just right. Since I rebuilt the top end (it got scratched up from all the dust that got in there), I have been more vigilant about getting that thing in place. I haven't had a problem since. I've had it for 2 years now.

I totally agree with you on that design. If you want to tune the saw, you need to take out that plug which opens up your saw to unfiltered air. Not good if you're into tuning your saw in a cut. It definitely should be changed.
I agree! The only reason that I haven't purchased this model is the filtration system. I'm quite in love with my 680, and other than the air filter design, the 800 is is just a larger, more powerful version. How hard would it be for them to put an automotive style filter and high top on that saw. I'd order it the second I saw it.

Would you happen to know if cs8000 piston would work in a cs800p? They seem to be considerably cheaper but may have flat top and aren't domed.

Back