Echo cs-800p

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is holding you back from throwing on a big carb?

I'll answer this one first since it is the shorter answer. I'm curious what a bigger carb would do and Randy has told me that he is willing to do it. Finding one is not so easy...

@Idahonative Why did you port a 600 instead of your 620? Just curious

Rock on my friend:rock:

Good question. For about a year now, I've wanted to bring some information to the Echo guys in a way that hasn't been done yet. I want to do some video comparisons between the 600 series saws. For example: MM & tune 600 vs. MM & Tune 620. This is one that is talked about a lot on these forums (with the Echo guys) because the 620 has an unlimited coil and possibly some timing & porting differences that give it a little more power. Often times when discussing the 600 series, it will be recommended to buy the 620 and skip the 600 for these reasons. I've been saying for a while now that a MM & tuned 600p cuts real close to a MM & tuned 620p. I just need to get some good vids so the information is accurate and I'm not just going by feel. The point being that, for what a 600p can be bought for, it's hard to pass one up for the more expensive 620p. The last two I bought NIB off Ebay for $400 each to my door (back in the winter). There just isn't another 60cc that can compete with that price vs. performance (except maybe the 590). Also, I believe guys put too much stock into the unlimited coil of the 620p. In the cut, where it matters, I don't see the unlimited coil as making that much difference. I need proof though.

Another fun one would be a MM & tuned 600p vs. a ported 600p. Yes, the ported 600p will whip it's a$$ but by how much? Is it enough to justify the cost of porting? Probably depends on the person but it's good information to have.

Same thing with a MM & tuned 620p vs. a ported 600p. Bought at the right price and even after paying to have someone port it, the ported 600p is a kick a$$ machine and won't cost much more than a stock 620p. But again, is it worth paying to have someone port it? Maybe a guy can do basic stuff himself like MM, tab delete, base gasket delete, etc. to raise the price vs. performance ratio. All good things to consider.

Sorry for the long winded response but to do the comparisons I want to do, I needed to leave the 620p pretty much stock for now. Is it possible I might have it ported later down the road? It's possible. Randy has mentioned that no one has sent him one to port and I'm curious what he could do with it. But someone will probably send him one before I get all my comparisons done so we will have that answer sooner rather than later I think.

the echo's i've ran always had wider power band
its like the power of husky and stihl combined but somehow in between
the easiest way to describe is probably with a graph, where its low meets stihl and high meets husky
cuts fast like husky and doesnt bog like stihl
anyway good luck with your testing and hope you get what you're looking for

There are also different versions of the 600P and they have different part numbers for the P/C. My 600P Ebay purchase ended up being an early version. It flat ROCKS and I've done nothing more to it than install the higher muffler deflector set-up used on the later CS-590's with the restriction trimmed out of it. I wouldn't touch it for any reason, which includes increasing squish or porting of any kind. It cuts very fast, with a broad/smooth power curve, and not lacking anyplace.

I've heard several comments about the CS-620's being up to 25 percent higher in power than the CS-590's/600's. At some point I'll get one and do some time cutting against the CS-590 and 600 that I have, but not really expecting to see that much difference in them.......Cliff

There are also different versions of the 600P and they have different part numbers for the P/C. My 600P Ebay purchase ended up being an early version. It flat ROCKS and I've done nothing more to it than install the higher muffler deflector set-up used on the later CS-590's with the restriction trimmed out of it. I wouldn't touch it for any reason, which includes increasing squish or porting of any kind. It cuts very fast, with a broad/smooth power curve, and not lacking anyplace.

I've heard several comments about the CS-620's being up to 25 percent higher in power than the CS-590's/600's. At some point I'll get one and do some time cutting against the CS-590 and 600 that I have, but not really expecting to see that much difference in them.......Cliff

I really like my MM & tuned 600p. It starts super easy and cuts really good and of course, is reliable. It's a 2012 version with the aluminum handle (2nd gen?). Like you, I see myself keeping that saw for a long time just how it is.

When you handle a 620p, it feels more powerful. It's more snappy and responsive and revs higher than the 600p. But in the cut, it's real close. My 620 is not 25% more powerful than the 600...that I'm sure of. Don't get me wrong, I like the 620p a lot but my point, comparing the two, has been the price vs. performance difference. The 600p's seem to show up on Ebay once in a while for really good prices. But I've never seen a NIB 620p come through there at a discounted price. Around $600 is the best I've seen on a new 620.

Edit: One thing I don't mention enough on these 600 series Echo's is just how good the AV system is. They are VERY smooth.

@Idahonative

Your asking the right guy the wrong question! The right question would be when can you send me one... But don't be afraid of sticker shock, that is the only reason I haven't ordered one here yet!

How much we talking? How much difference in pricing between Asia & Austria?

"I really like my MM & tuned 600p. It starts super easy and cuts really good and of course, is reliable. It's a 2012 version with the aluminum handle (2nd gen?). Like you, I see myself keeping that saw for a long time just how it is."

Mine for sure is a keeper. I did noticed in the IPL's that the early version like I have uses a different P/C and coil. From what I can remember the later 600's use the same P/C as the CS-590's.

Aside from the coil on the CS-590 acting limited, I really don't notice a big difference between those two saws, they both have PLENTY of power for 60cc. I also seriously doubt if a CS-620 is 25 percent more powerful or faster, hopefully I get the opportunity to find out one of these days, been trying to snag one up, but as mentioned, they are not discounted in the $350-450 range like we frequently see the CS-590's and 600's.......Cliff

No year printed like the CS-590, but it's early and has the plastic handle......Cliff

Actually I was asking about your 600p. I thought the early ones (before 2012) came with a plastic handle but I might be wrong on that.

Correct, no year is listed on the EPA tag or near the serial number on the 600P. It's an early unit going by the IPL and has the plastic handle instead of aluminum.

Mine falls in the first serial number range in the IPL's. It lists the cylinder as part number A130000910. The later 600's use A130002040 same as the CS-590's.

The early 600 also uses coil A411000450 and the CS-590's use A411001340. Not sure what the differences are and the CS-620's use different cylinders and coils as well.

I can say that both the CS-590 and CS-600 as strong runners, not lacking anyplace for 60cc. I've logged enough hours on mine at this point to consider them one of the beast deals currently out there for a Pro-grade 60cc saw. I can't fault them anyplace except maybe for weight, but in every other category they are excellent, this includes no load rpms, chain speed, cutting power, broad power curve, instant starting hot or cold, fuel consumption, anti-vibe/ergonomics, and noise level. I can't even see as they need any help with improving squish or porting, but I'm really not into that sort of thing anyhow. I'd much rather buy the race horse ready to take to the track, so to speak...........Cliff

I'd bet most of the gain on a 620 is right at the muff, if Echo raised the exhaust port to gain a few RPM at the expense of lower RPM torque I'll run the 590 or 600 with a muff modd as I don't like finicky high rpm saws that fall flat on their face soon as the rpm drops. Steve

I wouldn't describe the 620p that way at all. Echo didn't do anything to mess up the torque we've grown to love.

Spent some time yesterday with a new CS-590. One of my good friends and customers who owns a tree service dropped the hammer on one for a ground saw for his crew. He ran my CS-600 recently and absolutely loved it. He's replacing a 555XP that he just smoked the P/C on. He did note that the CS-590 was a bit heavier, but loved the smooth broad power curve. This will be a good test for the lower end of the range on that Echo 60cc platform. He'll run the bag off of it, cutting up 11 nice size Ash trees with it today, so we'll get a report as to how well it does in full time service and any problems or durability issues as well, since I'll be doing all the service/repairs on it.......Cliff

Spent some time yesterday with a new CS-590. One of my good friends and customers who owns a tree service dropped the hammer on one for a ground saw for his crew. He ran my CS-600 recently and absolutely loved it. He's replacing a 555XP that he just smoked the P/C on. He did note that the CS-590 was a bit heavier, but loved the smooth broad power curve. This will be a good test for the lower end of the range on that Echo 60cc platform. He'll run the bag off of it, cutting up 11 nice size Ash trees with it today, so we'll get a report as to how well it does in full time service and any problems or durability issues as well, since I'll be doing all the service/repairs on it.......Cliff

cliff-

i just came across three older echos, a 670, a 6700 and an 8000. they are three similar saws sharing some common parts and design concepts. the 6700 and 8000 are very early. i think the 800 has a s/n in the 1000's and they all have really high hours. one has scar tissue on the top that looks like burns and i suspect it was used by a fire crew. all three have great compression and are built with more magnesium and aluminum than plastic. the two oldest ones have the plastic oil pump drive gears which seem to deteriorate after 25 years. anyway, i'm waiting on parts now so i can get them back to as-built. it occurred to me to check for an echo sticky thread on this sight but found none. later, when parts arrive, i'll post on the oil pump drive retrofit.

by the way, tractor supply sells a 20" d176 guide bar with real pro chain, 70dl, for $40.

I've owned two CS-670, one 6700 and an 8000. They all have the same power characteristics as well, somewhat narrow power curve and pull very easily out of the good power and stall against the clutch. The 6700 was the worst of the three and it had a new P/C on it.

I exploited them for a while then gave up and put all of them up on Ebay and moved on. The CS-590/600/620's are a completely different animal, with very impressive high rpm power and broad/smooth power curve. I ran both of mine yesterday cutting HUGE oak and Beech logs/stumps and they never grumbled one. Just for kicks I used the 600P to cut off a 40" wide Red Oak stump and had the bar completely buried the entire time and it never stalled once against the clutch.

Then I used both saws to cross-cut the huge pieces to make them manageable........Cliff

IMG_1022.JPG

Latest posts

Back