Echo cs-800p

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've owned two CS-670, one 6700 and an 8000. They all have the same power characteristics as well, somewhat narrow power curve and pull very easily out of the good power and stall against the clutch. The 6700 was the worst of the three and it had a new P/C on it.

I exploited them for a while then gave up and put all of them up on Ebay and moved on. The CS-590/600/620's are a completely different animal, with very impressive high rpm power and broad/smooth power curve. I ran both of mine yesterday cutting HUGE oak and Beech logs/stumps and they never grumbled one. Just for kicks I used the 600P to cut off a 40" wide Red Oak stump and had the bar completely buried the entire time and it never stalled once against the clutch.

Then I used both saws to cross-cut the huge pieces to make them manageable........Cliff

View attachment 502803

your 670/6700/8000's were a different breed of cat than mine. i haven't run the 8000 yet, waiting for an air filter, but mine have wide power curves with ample torque. they don't spin as fast but once the find the rpm where max torque lives they'll stick there tenaciously. these are characteristics described by quite a few who use theses saws. makes me wonder if there was something wrong with yours. yes, the little 59.8cc echos are different, sort of a toyota to an f250. i like the look of the clutch/oil pump drive. but 60cc saws just don't do it for me, not there's anything wrong with it. i'm glad that echo is still selling the 680 and the 8000. there's still a small market for a high quality workhorse. for most weekend woodcutters the 60cc echos may be a better choice. lot of the hombres around here use poulans and 029s... not me.

wood_pile__4837-sm.JPG

"your 670/6700/8000's were a different breed of cat than mine. i haven't run the 8000 yet, waiting for an air filter, but mine have wide power curves with ample torque. they don't spin as fast but once the find the rpm where max torque lives they'll stick there tenaciously. these are characteristics described by quite a few who use theses saws. makes me wonder if there was something wrong with yours"

Yes there was something wrong with them, they were WAY down on power for the cc's. One of the CS-670's and the 8000 were new, the other CS-670 slightly used, and completely rebuilt the CS-6700 with a new OEM P/C. The CS-6700 was the worst of the bunch, it pulled WAY too easily out of the power. They all had decent "grunt", and I'm not saying here they were complete "turds" or anything of the sort. They simply lacked impressive top end power and I found their power curves to be narrow as well.

I owned those saws for quite a while and cut a good amount of firewood with them, but at that time I was running my 262XP and 268XP and more and more very seldom found myself reaching for the big Echo's. I actually loaned out one of the CS-670's for over a year and the guy thought it was a great running saw.

About the same time I acquired a CS-510, and it was just the opposite of the bigger saws. Super impressive top end power and strong mid-range power as well, with a very broad power curve. I kept it and still run it a LOT, all of the others went on Ebay.

The CS-590/600/620's sparked my interest so I sat back and watched folks talk about them for a while then dropped the hammer on a CS-590 and 600P. Echo did it right with those saws, I've pretty much retired my 262xp and 268xp.......Cliff

I find a Echo CS 670 or CS8000 has the most torque of any saw in that cc range and I'd rather run them them than any other brand cc for cc . A Dolmar 7900 cut just as fast but has a real narrow power band. Steve

"your 670/6700/8000's were a different breed of cat than mine. i haven't run the 8000 yet, waiting for an air filter, but mine have wide power curves with ample torque. they don't spin as fast but once the find the rpm where max torque lives they'll stick there tenaciously. these are characteristics described by quite a few who use theses saws. makes me wonder if there was something wrong with yours"

Yes there was something wrong with them, they were WAY down on power for the cc's. One of the CS-670's and the 8000 were new, the other CS-670 slightly used, and completely rebuilt the CS-6700 with a new OEM P/C. The CS-6700 was the worst of the bunch, it pulled WAY too easily out of the power. They all had decent "grunt", and I'm not saying here they were complete "turds" or anything of the sort. They simply lacked impressive top end power and I found their power curves to be narrow as well.

I owned those saws for quite a while and cut a good amount of firewood with them, but at that time I was running my 262XP and 268XP and more and more very seldom found myself reaching for the big Echo's. I actually loaned out one of the CS-670's for over a year and the guy thought it was a great running saw.

About the same time I acquired a CS-510, and it was just the opposite of the bigger saws. Super impressive top end power and strong mid-range power as well, with a very broad power curve. I kept it and still run it a LOT, all of the others went on Ebay.

The CS-590/600/620's sparked my interest so I sat back and watched folks talk about them for a while then dropped the hammer on a CS-590 and 600P. Echo did it right with those saws, I've pretty much retired my 262xp and 268xp.......Cliff

where i live, we have a saying, "no esta el saruche, esta el hombre." (it isn't the saw, it's the man.)

Unpacked the 800p from Randy today. It had 145 psi out of the box new. It now has 176 psi. This saw has no decompression valve but is still easy to start.

Attachments

• 800p compression.JPG
    800p compression.JPG
    460.1 KB · Views: 12
Unpacked the 800p from Randy today. It had 145 psi out of the box new. It now has 176 psi. This saw has no decompression valve but is still easy to start.
If you don't mind me asking what did it cost to have your 500 ported. Iv got a 490 I'd like to have done. Won't be getting ahold of mastermind here so maybe I'll try talking to brad.

Did you get a larger carb on your 800?
It looks like it wouldn't take much to get an HD or WJ carb to work. The HDA is capable of working as well with a simple mod.

I'd bet most of the gain on a 620 is right at the muff, if Echo raised the exhaust port to gain a few RPM at the expense of lower RPM torque I'll run the 590 or 600 with a muff modd as I don't like finicky high rpm saws that fall flat on their face soon as the rpm drops. Steve

I don't think so the porting is different the carb is bigger the coil bla bla bla. I've talked to guys that have been in them. The muff is the same other than the entrance from the exhaust on the jug.

If you don't mind me asking what did it cost to have your 500 ported. Iv got a 490 I'd like to have done. Won't be getting ahold of mastermind here so maybe I'll try talking to brad.

I tried to get him to port my two saws for me. No interest he said he is not taking on new jobs and doesn't know when he will be. So I went to mastermind he got me penciled in for the 25th of August for my 372.

Back