Echo CS310 Muffler Mod

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raganr

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
This past week I had some time to get back into my free pile of Echos. Figured I would post some pics.

I did the tear down and clean a while ago. Parts have been trickling in so I finally got this one back together and running.

The first two 310s I did muffler mods on, I just pulled the muffler, drilled out the cat, then cleaned up the opening with a dremel.

I didn’t open up any holes because removing the spark arrestor assembly gave two additional small holes and the deflector was the major choke point (just removed it).

The cat from cylinder side of muffler.

i-DMPCqQL-L.jpg

I originally was going to take the same approach to removing the cat and got as far as drilling it out. The dremel work is not enjoyable so I decided to try and split the muffler and just remove the offending components.

Cat drilled out and cleaned up from a previous effort
i-ZpvwGCx-L.jpg

2. As issued muffler with deflector and spark screen
i-37rDsFS-L.jpg

3. OEM opening behind the deflector. Screen, deflector, and bolts discarded.
i-FQGPVdj-L.jpg

This was my first attempt at splitting a muffler and it went ok, I am sure I will get better at it with more practice. I used the smallest torch tip I had on my oxygen/acetylene rig and a screw driver.

Once the muffler was open, the guts fell out and I cut out the cat housing and baffle

i-GNvf68b-L.jpg

All welded back together

i-w5k27T7-L.jpg

Heated up the lip and folded/crimped the muffler and guts back together

i-twD4J64-L.jpg

i-72MS7G7-L.jpg

Saw sounds pretty good. Once the new B/C arrive I will post a video of it running.

I have one more 310 then a 370 to do the same thing to so I will try and take some better pics as I do those.

Bar and chain arrived.

Chain is a Woodland Pro 30LP 46DL

i-BZCGXWQ-L.jpg

i-ZdGQtc3-L.jpg

Cut down scabbard

i-ZFC5LXC-L.jpg

Small kit for new owner

i-LVcBN5b-L.jpg

Did a rough tune while cleaning up a few small trees and set aside some appropriate test wood for a final tune when the new owner stops by to pick it up.

This saw ended up being a decent amount of work to get to this state. Fortunately I spaced it out over several months and I do this for fun.

~$85 in parts

New oil lines/grommets/filter
New fuel lines, primer bulb, grommet, filter, carb kit
New spark plug and air filter
New 12” GB bar with Woodland Pro 30LP chain
New chain tension gears

Posted these before but here they are again.

Before:

i-NhWndJf-L.jpg

i-HVhnzGH-L.jpg

i-hHrShH8-L.jpg

After:

i-K387NDT-L.jpg

i-LL7wk2r-L.jpg

i-W9FFjjD-L.jpg

The bar does look good and takes this bottom class saw up a few notches. Hard to comment on how it cuts as I have never run a stock one. The only saw that I have of similar size is a rear handle MS200.... :) Saw sounds great, and idles well. I will post some videos cutting cookies but probably not for another week or so.

The mod on the muffler seem to have really opened it up! I just picked up a 310 my self lightly used for only $40 from an old timer! Score! I just pulled the muffler off and am wondering what type of drill bit is best drill out the honey comb cat. I tried going at it with a small dremel drill bit without much progress, there must be a better way. Thank you on advance

Back