Echo cs310

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wow

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
This is purely about the cs310.
Today the person who bought my gently used Echo cs310 brought it to me for service. I had used the saw a few times and muffler Modded and set the carb in wood before it was sold. Frankly, I like the cs352 better.
First thing I did was clean the little saw. Second was giving the chain a really good hand filing.
Fuel and oil added then of course put her to work.
I'd forgotten how well that little saw cuts.
The owner was beaming as she walked through 10 inch green Oak. If anyone else has a cs310 how about giving us your take on that saw.
IMO the cs352 is just a bit classier with the better Air filter, better antivibe and quiet a bit more power.
After today I'm tempted to mm my cs352. I'm convinced that's why the cs310 was kicking so hard.
I'm a bit leery of mm, ing an Echo 590 because I've read about someone doing it and regretting it. Some say they cant see much difference. Some say a mm wakes up a cs490. It may be a mm has different effects depending upon make and model. If someone has a 310 and has done a mm I'd be interested.

I looked at a new 310, then chose a 352, which I used a couple of times and then sold it to my brother.

Just bought a barely used old CS-346 and I like it better than both of the newer saws. It's size and weight seems more appropriate for the power. I might do a muff mod on the little 346. That old reed valve motor would probably sound real good with an open can.

But I have been eyeballing a used 310 at the pawn shop. I'm sure I won't buy it, but I think the price is down to $68 now.

I looked at a new 310, then chose a 352, which I used a couple of times and then sold it to my brother.

Just bought a barely used old CS-346 and I like it better than both of the newer saws. It's size and weight seems more appropriate for the power. I might do a muff mod on the little 346. That old reed valve motor would probably sound real good with an open can.

But I have been eyeballing a used 310 at the pawn shop. I'm sure I won't buy it, but I think the price is down to $68 now.
I owned a cs310. MM and tuned it's amazing but WEAK antivibration springs. Sold mine for 130$. I think it's just to cheezy when compared to the 352. They need to discontinue the cs310 and bump the cs352 price down some. If the cs352 we're to be beefed up, better choke and metal chain catch I'd be a cool saw. My cs490 sorta puts the cs352 on a back burner. Tomorrow I'm going to look and see what kind of chain Catcher it has.

I have a CS346. I LOVE IT.

I did a MM on mine and it did wake up the saw. It is worth the small effort.
  1. Remove muffler.
  2. Drill into the CAT enough to get a pair of needle nose pliers into it.
  3. Pull the CAT out in pieces.
  4. Blow out with compressed air. Make sure there are no little pieces of the CAT left in the muffler.
  5. When reassembling, omit parts #5 (screen) and 6 (gasket?) below.
upload_2019-1-23_9-57-10.png
OR - find the muffler from a CS345 on eBay (direct bolt-on without the CAT).

I also converted it to a rim & drum. PM me for details on the rim & drum if you're interested.

I'm also a CS-346 fanboy. I've been running mine for a lot of years and it tends to be the saw I pick up to start on limbs and just continue to run until it's truly overmatched. That's usually at around the 12' mark although I've gone further.

I "cheated" and swapped to a CS-345 muffler when I found one cheap on the 'bay.

If I could find a NIB or gently used CS-346 at a decent price I'd grab it in a heartbeat for a backup for when my old girl finally gives up.

I'm also a CS-346 fanboy. I've been running mine for a lot of years and it tends to be the saw I pick up to start on limbs and just continue to run until it's truly overmatched. That's usually at around the 12' mark although I've gone further.

If I could find a NIB or gently used CS-346 at a decent price I'd grab it in a heartbeat for a backup for when my old girl finally gives up.
Or even find a CS-300 and rework it when your 346 becomes a parts saw.

I owned a cs310. MM and tuned it's amazing but WEAK antivibration springs. Sold mine for 130$. I think it's just to cheezy when compared to the 352. They need to discontinue the cs310 and bump the cs352 price down some. If the cs352 we're to be beefed up, better choke and metal chain catch I'd be a cool saw. My cs490 sorta puts the cs352 on a back burner. Tomorrow I'm going to look and see what kind of chain Catcher it has.
The 490 has a bolt with a rubber sleeve.

But yeah, who needs a 310 when you could have a 352.
And my 361P also has the cheap plastic chain catcher that broke the first time I threw a chain. But it's mounted to the case and not the cover.

I have a CS346. I LOVE IT.

I did a MM on mine and it did wake up the saw. It is worth the small effort.
  1. Remove muffler.
  2. Drill into the CAT enough to get a pair of needle nose pliers into it.
  3. Pull the CAT out in pieces.
  4. Blow out with compressed air. Make sure there are no little pieces of the CAT left in the muffler.
  5. When reassembling, omit parts #5 (screen) and 6 (gasket?) below.
View attachment 698758
OR - find the muffler from a CS345 on eBay (direct bolt-on without the CAT).

I also converted it to a rim & drum. PM me for details on the rim & drum if you're interested.
Thanks for the instructions on the muff mod.
I'd like to maybe leave the screen, increase the size of the outlet, and make a bigger deflector that exits lower.

I hate to put an old looking muffler on this brand new looking saw with a brand new looking muffler.

I think even the cheesy double-guard safety chain is original and unsharpened. It will be gone soon though.

I don't know if mine was a decent price, but I didn't mind paying an extra twenty or thirty or fifty bucks for a saw that you don't see too often, much less one in pristine condition.
It was worth it just to end that search.

I'm wanting to get into carving a bit, and figured this would make a nice little dedicated rig if I do.

And I'm just drawn to the hot little high grade home-owner sized saws.
I also have a 009L and an Echo 361P.
And a couple of oldies in a XL2 and Craftsman 2.3(S25DA) that I don't use and am planning on selling to offset the cost of the 346. And a few of the parts on the 346 interchange with my 361P, so the bar and sprocket won't go to waste.

I could've bought a 3450 a few weeks ago for $55. But it had a broken clutch cover and initials carved in every other piece of the saw. It was a runner but in poor condition.
And then a few months before there was a nice orange 306, but I wanted to hold out for the bigger engine.

The 490 has a bolt with a rubber sleeve.

But yeah, who needs a 310 when you could have a 352.
And my 361P also has the cheap plastic chain catcher that broke the first time I threw a chain. But it's mounted to the case and not the cover.
Yes, today I checked the 490. The bolt on has a round rubber Roller. The 352 has very thin plastic in that area but I can see how a chain catch could be rigged. I'm going to see what the Warranty does. At the worst I'll rig one.

Yes, today I checked the 490. The bolt on has a round rubber Roller. The 352 has very thin plastic in that area but I can see how a chain catch could be rigged. I'm going to see what the Warranty does. At the worst I'll rig one.
It's not worth it to warranty it, because you're dealer will have to charge you a service fee that may or may not get refunded upon the manufacturers decision.
I looked online and they were five or seven bucks, but my dealer said he could order me one for a buck and a quarter.
I think when I can get by there I'm going to have them order me about three or four.

Back