Echo CS351WES chainbrake problem and adjustment questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FRQ

Reaction score
I just purchased my very first chainsaw, a 10 year old Echo CS351WES. Has been run for a few times and then put away, it looked brand new, came with all paperwork and for about 100 USD, I snapped it up.

8AFFRPE.jpg

Came with a few issues:

- Bogs down when I run it full throttle and let it return to idle. Should I start by playing with the idle rpm or mixture? Fresh gas in it, airfilter is spotless.

- Chainbrake stuck. Eventually I managed to free it by gently revving the saw which somehow helped it to unstick. Not very healthy for the saw i imagine, but I couldn't get the cover off and the plastic felt way too flimsy to safely pry it off.

Anyway, here's what I found, I started by giving everything a good clean.

xcjWHGx.jpg

Ovk87pI.jpg

Looks like this now:
9C8wgLx.jpg

wxmGsca.jpg

Is that amount of sludge normal for such a lightly used saw? Oiler issue? It even got in the muffler housing. How should I proceed to test the chainbrake? I'd like to avoid reassembling and facing the same issue to get the cover back off if it's still not working. Any insight is appreciated, as far as chainsaws go, I have 0 frame of reference.

Latest posts

Back