Echo CS490 vs. Stihl MS 250 or MS 291

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Haines

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So, I am looking for a new machine, my poulan pro bit the dust the other day, and I have been advised (based on budget and usage) to go for either an Echo CS490, stihl MS250, or Stihl MS291. I decided to do a little bit of reading about theses machines, and I have not found alot of helpful comparisons. Usually people who like Stihl say to go with Stihl, and people who have tried Echo say to go with Echo. Alot of people are saying that Stihl quality has gone down in recent years, so that they see more stihls in need of repairs than in the past. Also, alot of people are saying that Echo has a superb quality which may even make them better than Stihl. But, then, there are some that suggest that Stihl is as good as it has ever been, and still beats Echo in quality, period. The price on the Echo is nice, but, if paying 50$ or 100$ more (for one of the Stihl's) is going to get me a better, longer-lasting, machine, then I would prefer paying the extra 50 or 100$. Then again, if the Echo is as good as some people say it is, and Stihl is not really that much better than the Echo, then I would much prefer to save the 50-100$. So, basically, would I be better off just spending a little bit more to get the Stihl (if so, which stihl?)? Or, is it better to save the 20-70$ extra I would pay for the stihl, and go for the Echo? Is one of them longer lasting than the other? Can one of them take more abuse than the other? What are their relative pros and cons?

The Echo is built with better materials. I'm not sure how they would run head to head but I'm guessing with an 18" bar buried in hardwood they would be pretty close. What length bar do you need for the wood you cut?

The Echo is built with better materials. I'm not sure how they would run head to head but I'm guessing with an 18" bar buried in hardwood they would be pretty close. What length bar do you need for the wood you cut?

I wouldn't need more than an 18" bar (the chainsaws that I am currently looking at all come with 16" bars).

Lots of plastic on the MS250 but they're noticeably lighter than the 291 (also with a lot of plastic) and will hang with it using 16" bars, but not comparable with a longer bar. I've not run the Echo, but know a guy who has it and it seems to be a great little saw.

So, I am looking for a new machine, my poulan pro bit the dust the other day, and I have been advised (based on budget and usage) to go for either an Echo CS490, stihl MS250, or Stihl MS291. I decided to do a little bit of reading about theses machines, and I have not found alot of helpful comparisons. Usually people who like Stihl say to go with Stihl, and people who have tried Echo say to go with Echo. Alot of people are saying that Stihl quality has gone down in recent years, so that they see more stihls in need of repairs than in the past. Also, alot of people are saying that Echo has a superb quality which may even make them better than Stihl. But, then, there are some that suggest that Stihl is as good as it has ever been, and still beats Echo in quality, period. The price on the Echo is nice, but, if paying 50$ or 100$ more (for one of the Stihl's) is going to get me a better, longer-lasting, machine, then I would prefer paying the extra 50 or 100$. Then again, if the Echo is as good as some people say it is, and Stihl is not really that much better than the Echo, then I would much prefer to save the 50-100$. So, basically, would I be better off just spending a little bit more to get the Stihl (if so, which stihl?)? Or, is it better to save the 20-70$ extra I would pay for the stihl, and go for the Echo? Is one of them longer lasting than the other? Can one of them take more abuse than the other? What are their relative pros and cons?
Welcome to AS David.
If those were my choices and I didn't need to run anything longer than an 18" I'd choose the 490.
In your avatar picture are you preaching, teaching, or both :).
Good lick on your search.
Brett

I have an 025 (same as the MS250 except for fuel caps) and an Echo 352 (and other saws). The Echo has much better spring based anti vibe and is much easier to start with Echo's "easy start". I think the 490 has both features. The 250 is light for a homeowner saw- nearly the same weight as similar sized pro saws. It's reliable and parts are easy to get. It's not a bad saw. But I think if I was looking at those models I'd go with the Echo as it would be more pleasant to use. Go to the store and check them out in person.

I got a Stihl MS241 with 3/8 LP and my 352 has it too. 50cc is considered by some to be too powerful for 3/8 LP but it sure does cut faster due to the narrower kerf.

The Echo CS490 is built way better than either of those Stihl saw, has closed port cylinder which has more power per cc. Get the 490, put a .325 nk bar and open up the muff a little , tune properly and youll be set for years with a light easy starting reliable saw. They do take quite a few tanks to break in good. Steve

Welcome to AS David.
If those were my choices and I didn't need to run anything longer than an 18" I'd choose the 490.
In your avatar picture are you preaching, teaching, or both :).
Good lick on your search.
Brett

@chipper1 In that picture I am presenting a paper at a theology/philosophy conference in South Carolina. Thanks for the advice.

Welcome to AS David. I'm partial to Stihls but depending on you budget and good quality serivce available either one would be a good choice. i have run some echo's and they are a good running saw.

It's not Stihl vs Echo, Stihl needs no promo....great saws.
BUT the 490 is an all around better built saw than the MS 250/291.

As mentioned above, the 490 does respond well to a simple muff mod and retune and has more " pro " features.

I have a 20 year old 025, and had an MS290. Don't know how the MS250 compares to the 025, but I wouldn't trade my 025 for an MS241. Buying new, the CS 490 may be the better deal. It's a little more powerful on paper.

Back