echo cs501p?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
="expert of nothing, post: 6122196, member: 148200"]echo probably going to discontinue the 680.
E="expert of nothing, post: 6122220, member: 148200"]I bet i can make you smile? Try goggling echo cs1201 youtube Let me know what you think... :muscle:

Echo should replace the 680-8000 with a 75 and 85cc version of the 620.

The 680,8000 are basically the same as they were 30+years ago.

It 1201 is an old design too not a lot different than the 090 other than still available new.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]I was thinking about deleting the base gasket in both my Echo's but read the bump in compression isn't worth lowering the already to low exhaust numbers on the 490. I'd love to have it ported but the wife and kids having what they need is more important at this point then a fast saw.

I was thinking about deleting the base gasket in both my Echo's but read the bump in compression isn't worth lowering the already to low exhaust numbers on the 490. I'd love to have it ported but the wife and kids having what they need is more important at this point then a fast saw.

Imo the best gains on the 490/590 without porting is a muffler mod, and a sharp chain.

I like this new professional grade Echo/Shindaiwa equipment. But it once again proves you get what you pay for.
[Note I am talking about prices here so your mileage may vary]
These new Japanese products cost the same as their German counterparts. When I ask for quotes at the local Echo and Stihl dealerships, both of whom I've been working with for years and both of whom I trust, I always get the same quote on directly competing products. To make a pertinent example when I was on the market for backpack leafblower, I got exactly the same quote for an Echo PB770 and a Stihl BR600. Same thing about the Echo CS620SX and the Stihl MS362CM.
As Yamabiko has just changed their pricing policy on all pro-grade equipment it will be interesting to see how Stihl will react.

Where Yamabiko wins hands down however is in the homeowner products. The local Echo dealership should send me something more substantial than a Christmas card with all the chainsaws, trimmers and leaf blowers I helped them sell. Don't get me wrong: I have an MS231 I bought because I could not justify paying for an MS241 and I am very happy with it, suprising little bugger, but it's on the expensive side as far as homeowner saws go here. The CS352 Echo sells at €259 and the CS310 they sell at €199 are unbeatable deals for the average homeowner and are pretty much built to be abused.

I like this new professional grade Echo/Shindaiwa equipment. But it once again proves you get what you pay for.
[Note I am talking about prices here so your mileage may vary]
These new Japanese products cost the same as their German counterparts. When I ask for quotes at the local Echo and Stihl dealerships, both of whom I've been working with for years and both of whom I trust, I always get the same quote on directly competing products. To make a pertinent example when I was on the market for backpack leafblower, I got exactly the same quote for an Echo PB770 and a Stihl BR600. Same thing about the Echo CS620SX and the Stihl MS362CM.
As Yamabiko has just changed their pricing policy on all pro-grade equipment it will be interesting to see how Stihl will react.

Where Yamabiko wins hands down however is in the homeowner products. The local Echo dealership should send me something more substantial than a Christmas card with all the chainsaws, trimmers and leaf blowers I helped them sell. Don't get me wrong: I have an MS231 I bought because I could not justify paying for an MS241 and I am very happy with it, suprising little bugger, but it's on the expensive side as far as homeowner saws go here. The CS352 Echo sells at €259 and the CS310 they sell at €199 are unbeatable deals for the average homeowner and are pretty much built to be abused.
In the USA a ms362 will be over $800 out the door were I live my 590 was under $450 out the door. Big price differences between the brands here.

In the USA a ms362 will be over $800 out the door were I live my 590 was under $450 out the door. Big price differences between the brands here.

The 590 is not offered in Europe: we have the 600 and 620SX but as there are €25 between them most Echo dealerships won't bother stocking the 600.

Imo the best gains on the 490/590 without porting is a muffler mod, and a sharp chain.
Every new chain I buy gets a hand finish in the vice with a fine file before it ever gets put on the bar. Mark each gullet with a black sharpie and you will see how irregular each cutter is oregon and stihl. Usually only takes 3 to 5 light strokes but man does that make a difference.

i been saying every since i got the cs-590 that echo should come out with a 720P -- just like the 620p bust with 10 more ccs or so --

been itching to buy a 620p for the longest--

after i opened up the muffler on the 590 and re-tuned the carb the old wolf sort of woke up-- with the price of a 620 carb and unlimited coil-- i might be better off to just put off my hot rodding attempts for a new 620p--

Yes.

620 coil,carb, rim sprocket,metal handle, and mag clutch cover will set ya back almost 400$ shipped. Save a good chunk of change just buying a 620. Altho I do think the 590 has the better "performance"piston and makes the strongest jug once ported.

OK, a little update. A 501P demo saw arrived and I'm rather pleased so far.
The dry weight checks out as advertised at 10.8#.
For direct comparison a Stihl 250 and Dolmar 421 both weigh (dry) just slightly more.
346XP (dry) is an additional pound.
Dolmar 5105 (dry) almost 2 additional pounds.
I believe the timing curve and porting were changed to provide improved power over the former 500P.
So yes, we always want more power and less weight - and Echo did it!

There's a couple new features that are worth mentioning.
Bar nuts have a small wire surrounding them and actually remain with the clutch cover so they'll never become lost.
A compression release fitting is provided.
Fuel tank is now translucent.
Everything is stock at this point. Power, weight and feel are all desirous...probably the lightest saw in its class.
I'm almost committed to keeping this one.
A short video will follow when I figure out how to post it.

OK, a little update. A 501P demo saw arrived and I'm rather pleased so far.
The dry weight checks out as advertised at 10.8#.
For direct comparison a Stihl 250 and Dolmar 421 both weigh (dry) just slightly more.
346XP (dry) is an additional pound.
Dolmar 5105 (dry) almost 2 additional pounds.
I believe the timing curve and porting were changed to provide improved power over the former 500P.
So yes, we always want more power and less weight - and Echo did it!

There's a couple new features that are worth mentioning.
Bar nuts have a small wire surrounding them and actually remain with the clutch cover so they'll never become lost.
A compression release fitting is provided.
Fuel tank is now translucent.
Everything is stock at this point. Power, weight and feel are all desirous...probably the lightest saw in its class.
I'm almost committed to keeping this one.
A short video will follow when I figure out how to post it.

Thanks for the weight comparisons. That new Echo is very light for a 50cc saw. How does the power feel compared to the Dolmar 421? On paper the Echo has more power (3.5 hp for the Echo versus 2.9 hp for the Dolmar). I realize that the Echo has greater displacement, but since they weigh about the same the comparison seems fair. They also cost about the same, once you factor in the cost replacing the Dolmar's spur sprocket and bar.

The 501P A/V 's are actually rubber bushings and not springs. Under power, yes, it's very smooth.

The Dolmar 421 has been tricked out with 3/8LP Stihl 63PM chisel chain and has much more run time. Echo 501P is fresh out of the box & pulled a 325 factory chisel chain. On the same log (Green Ash) cut times were very similar, but I'd like to revisit this after the Echo is broke in.
As much as I like the 421, it's a toss up right now.

Any updates on the 501 vs 421 comparison?
I'm seriously considering replacing my 421 with the 501p
What length bar on the 501? 18"? I assume the 421 was sporting a 16".

I am very interested in all that has been written about the 501P as I have a six year old 500P. The first thing I did was get rid of the Echo bar and chain and go with a narrow kerf Oregon bar and chain. About a year ago Oregon came out with a superior product in their .325 narrow kerf line...95TXL. It is not a fast as a sharp full chisel, but after spending a day cutting dirty wood I am grateful for the semi-chisel that is almost a chisel. It stays sharp far longer than the Stihl RS chains I run on my 362 in similar wood. Anyone with the 500P or 501P should try the narrow kerf chain as it is significantly faster than standard .325 chain, even chisel. My big concern with the 501P and my 500P is that Oregon no longer makes a 216 mount narrow kerf bar. I had assurances that they intend to but so far I haven't been able to find one.

My 500P has cut roughly 40 cords and I run it with an 18" bar even though Echo says it will handle a 20. Maybe it could but with an 18" bar it is very fast in wood it is sized to cut. I try not to use it in wood over 24" (that is when the 362 with 20" bar and RS chain comes out) and it is amazing how fast it is. I have not modified it at all but now that it is out of warranty I may try some of the approaches I read about on AS. The best thing about this saw as mentioned above is its weight or lack thereof. It is so much easier on the arms and back when cutting large limbs from tress my son drops for our mission group that people with the heavier saws all want to pick up mine. The next time our local Echo dealer has their sale, whether Oregon has a narrow kerf bar for the saw or not, I think I'm buying it for a "spare" in case my 500P ever dies; not likely if my twenty five year old Echo weed whacker and blower are any indication.

And for all that bad mouth the plastic clutch cover, I'd much rather pay less than $20 for a new one versus over $65 for a Stihl clutch cover. When are people going to bad mouth the plastic handle on the 362s versus the aluminum handle on my 500P. My 362 and 441 are great saws but guess which saws sit in the trunk unless I am cutting big wood! Let's get real all you Echo bashers.

My 501p arrived today. I've pulled the screen and the tube/plate from inside the muffler, and dremeled an exhaust/outlet on the deflector cap. Is that all that's involved in the muffler mod for this saw?

I pulled out the limiting caps as well. Managed to break one. However, I noticed that the splined carb adjustment tool for my little Poulan fits these adjusters just fine (in addition to being slotted for a screwdriver). Is there a reason I'd need to replace these limiters, vs just leaving them out?

Back