echo cs501p?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 501p arrived today. I've pulled the screen and the tube/plate from inside the muffler, and dremeled an exhaust/outlet on the deflector cap. Is that all that's involved in the muffler mod for this saw?

I pulled out the limiting caps as well. Managed to break one. However, I noticed that the splined carb adjustment tool for my little Poulan fits these adjusters just fine (in addition to being slotted for a screwdriver). Is there a reason I'd need to replace these limiters, vs just leaving them out?
Motoguy, I took off the limiter caps and cut off the tabs before reinstalling them so that it is easier to get a small screwdriver in the slot with the cover on.

My 501p arrived today. I've pulled the screen and the tube/plate from inside the muffler, and dremeled an exhaust/outlet on the deflector cap. Is that all that's involved in the muffler mod for this saw?

I pulled out the limiting caps as well. Managed to break one. However, I noticed that the splined carb adjustment tool for my little Poulan fits these adjusters just fine (in addition to being slotted for a screwdriver). Is there a reason I'd need to replace these limiters, vs just leaving them out?
Probably not since your warranty is void because of the muffler mods. I've never had to take a piece of Echo or Stihl equipment in for warranty work anyway.

Probably not since your warranty is void because of the muffler mods. I've never had to take a piece of Echo or Stihl equipment in for warranty work anyway.

It was a good deal / ebay purchase for a NIB saw, so I wasn't planning on much warranty coverage anyway. In addition 1) it sounds like actually getting Echo to warranty repairs is difficult, and 2) as you mention, they don't often seem to need them. Calculated risk, I guess.

It was a good deal / ebay purchase for a NIB saw, so I wasn't planning on much warranty coverage anyway. In addition 1) it sounds like actually getting Echo to warranty repairs is difficult, and 2) as you mention, they don't often seem to need them. Calculated risk, I guess.
I read somewhere that the limiter caps keep the screws from vibrating but I don't know if this is true or not. You should be good to go.

Caps mainly help locate the screwdriver. Can be a pain staying on/finding the screw when the saw is running.

Sometimes after removal/install the caps wont hold tight enough to adjust the screw. Cap will just spin.

I used new caps because I damaged the original limiters trying to get them off. When I trimmed off the tabs on the new caps to allow the screws to be fully operational the caps were tight being installed and formed around the splines on the screws. The new caps would not allow the screws to vibrate as there was a tight friction fit with the carb housing. I never had any issues.

Did you have to retune after the muff mod??

I did using a tach to set the saw at the maximum RPM. I messed up the original tune getting the limiter caps off but the total adjustment was minimal. There is a link somewhere for a 500P original carb setting which is what I owned. That would probably be a good place to start. But you need a tach to properly tune a 500P. I don't know about the 501P.

Did you have to retune after the muff mod??

I will need to. The saw was ordered over the internet, so I'm going to consider it "untuned". I'll likely tune it by ear over the weekend, but I have a tach on the way. For the $10 it'll take to get replacement caps (for this saw and the 620pw on the way), I'll probably just order them. It makes sense that new, never installed caps would fit tightly, and I can see how it would help to get a screwdriver on there.

I'll have to see how well my little splined Poulan tool works, though. If it works well, I'll only put replacement caps on to keep the adjusters from spinning.

I will need to. The saw was ordered over the internet, so I'm going to consider it "untuned". I'll likely tune it by ear over the weekend, but I have a tach on the way. For the $10 it'll take to get replacement caps (for this saw and the 620pw on the way), I'll probably just order them. It makes sense that new, never installed caps would fit tightly, and I can see how it would help to get a screwdriver on there.

I'll have to see how well my little splined Poulan tool works, though. If it works well, I'll only put replacement caps on to keep the adjusters from spinning.
The tune won't wonder without the limiters in place. When I pulled the limiters on my 490 the plate that holds them in came out also. They are easier to get a screw driver on but not needed to keep the tune from wondering.

The tune won't wonder without the limiters in place. When I pulled the limiters on my 490 the plate that holds them in came out also. They are easier to get a screw driver on but not needed to keep the tune from wondering.

I won't be messing with replacing them, then. Thanks for the info.

I have a tach. Manual says 13000-13700 WOT so I'm thinking tune at around 13400-13500. This is just speculation I haven't had my 501 very long.

Echo should replace the 680-8000 with a 75 and 85cc version of the 620.

The 680,8000 are basically the same as they were 30+years ago.

It 1201 is an old design too not a lot different than the 090 other than still available new.
[/QUOTE]I was thinking about deleting the base gasket in both my Echo's but read the bump in compression isn't worth lowering the already to low exhaust numbers on the 490. I'd love to have it ported but the wife and kids having what they need is more important at this point then a fast saw.[/QUOTE]
I once ran for many years Sthils, 029 , 024, 026, 044 and would have never believed any Echo could make me put a Sthil on the back burner. Then somewhere I began to read about the Echo cs590 Timberwolf and at the Time was running an old Poulan Pro 380. It's a good saw but like me was getting old. The cs590 was only 100 out of pocket because I had a buyer willing to pay almost 300 for that PP. Bought the cs590 with a 27 inch Echo bar and tackled a huge Oak. I was so impressed I considered marrying the farmers daughter except she was already married and expecting twins. So I kept dating a lady older than myself and kept loving the saw. The old woman left but I still have the saw. I'd really miss my saw if it were to leave me. That story began in 2015 and I became Echo addicted. The Sthil 029 has had some things done that woke her up and now she drags a 24 inch chain well BUT, on my scales the Sthil 029 (less powerful saw) is ONLY 1 pound lighter than the xs590 which is more powerful. I bought 2 more Echo saws because I wanted them but my 50cc saw remained the Sthil 026 until it needed a new gas line. So hey, I'm Echo addicted and wanted my fix. I was shaking and nervous like the time I accidentally ate Wedding Cake. My dealer cut me a serious deal on a cs 490 and when I got home and tested that cs490 I thought it cut as well as the Sthil 026. The Sthil bar is a heavier bar but the Echo bar does me right. Someone had told me to buy the cs400 but frankly I have a cs352 and felt the cs400 was close to redudant .
My Echo saws are stock but I'm 71 and not cutting down and bucking one tree behind the other all day long day after day. Therefore my results are not the same as a full day user. I'm clearing land and cutting firewood. If you are using these Echo saws about as often as 2 or 3, maybe 4 trees cut and bucked a week these saws Stock should make you happy. My hot rod hold on and hope days are behind me. Your needs may vary. Be blessed.

I was thinking about deleting the base gasket in both my Echo's but read the bump in compression isn't worth lowering the already to low exhaust numbers on the 490. I'd love to have it ported but the wife and kids having what they need is more important at this point then a fast saw.[/QUOTE]
I once ran for many years Sthils, 029 , 024, 026, 044 and would have never believed any Echo could make me put a Sthil on the back burner. Then somewhere I began to read about the Echo cs590 Timberwolf and at the Time was running an old Poulan Pro 380. It's a good saw but like me was getting old. The cs590 was only 100 out of pocket because I had a buyer willing to pay almost 300 for that PP. Bought the cs590 with a 27 inch Echo bar and tackled a huge Oak. I was so impressed I considered marrying the farmers daughter except she was already married and expecting twins. So I kept dating a lady older than myself and kept loving the saw. The old woman left but I still have the saw. I'd really miss my saw if it were to leave me. That story began in 2015 and I became Echo addicted. The Sthil 029 has had some things done that woke her up and now she drags a 24 inch chain well BUT, on my scales the Sthil 029 (less powerful saw) is ONLY 1 pound lighter than the xs590 which is more powerful. I bought 2 more Echo saws because I wanted them but my 50cc saw remained the Sthil 026 until it needed a new gas line. So hey, I'm Echo addicted and wanted my fix. I was shaking and nervous like the time I accidentally ate Wedding Cake. My dealer cut me a serious deal on a cs 490 and when I got home and tested that cs490 I thought it cut as well as the Sthil 026. The Sthil bar is a heavier bar but the Echo bar does me right. Someone had told me to buy the cs400 but frankly I have a cs352 and felt the cs400 was close to redudant .
My Echo saws are stock but I'm 71 and not cutting down and bucking one tree behind the other all day long day after day. Therefore my results are not the same as a full day user. I'm clearing land and cutting firewood. If you are using these Echo saws about as often as 2 or 3, maybe 4 trees cut and bucked a week these saws Stock should make you happy. My hot rod hold on and hope days are behind me. Your needs may vary. Be blessed.[/QUOTE]My 590 is ported it's a good runner. But I have a 7910 dolmar now and realised theres no replacement for displacement. Anything needing a 24 or bigger bar gets done by the dolmar. My 355t and 490 do 80% of my cutting. The 2 bigger saw get used more often just because I want to then because there actually needed. 60cc and down I won't waist my money on other brands.

I like my Echos, but I never got a 590 and I guess I won't be getting one as CAD took over when I found a deal today on a used 372XP for a hunerd plus tax less than a new 590.
I could've had a newer 6421 for the same price. And in a lot of ways it's a nicer saw than the 372. But the Hoosky just felt right in my hands, and should have a little more power to boot.

Just as well I guess. My 25-35-50-70 four saw plan is filled with new Echos otherwise.

I really like the 490. So much so that after I'd already bought a brand new 490, when I found a deal on a two year old Shindaiwa 491 I brought it home also.

Now my only dilemma is, to offset the cost of the 372, along with selling my 660evl I feel obligated to sell either the near new 490 or the two year old 491. Also, storage space is getting to be a premium with four relatively large saws.

I like my Echos, but I never got a 590 and I guess I won't be getting one as CAD took over when I found a deal today on a used 372XP for a hunerd plus tax less than a new 590.
I could've had a newer 6421 for the same price. And in a lot of ways it's a nicer saw than the 372. But the Hoosky just felt right in my hands, and should have a little more power to boot.

Just as well I guess. My 25-35-50-70 four saw plan is filled with new Echos otherwise.

I really like the 490. So much so that after I'd already bought a brand new 490, when I found a deal on a two year old Shindaiwa 491 I brought it home also.

Now my only dilemma is, to offset the cost of the 372, along with selling my 660evl I feel obligated to sell either the near new 490 or the two year old 491. Also, storage space is getting to be a premium with four relatively large saws.
Yes, I KNOW the feeling. I keep trying to run this and that Saw so the carb don't gum up. It's an addiction. I sold my Echo cs310 because I never use it. Then there the FREE saws. How can I say no!. I get, hey man, as good as you are, I have this saw, it just needs a little fixin, want it? It feels like Christmas and they keep stacking up. I have an old Poulan 2150 that's been sitting. It WAS a very good little saw so recently I was talking to a guy who repairs things for a Pawn Shop. I said, hey as good as you are I have a great little Poulan 2150. It just needs a little fixing up. He smiled. I said, you want it for FREE. He got excited and replied, see you Saturday. I smiled, said ok and thought, hey, it worked on him too.

I know the feeling.
My saw collection got out of hand and I really hate to see 2 cycles just sit....down to 4 saws.

Recently sold an 036 and (2) 455 Ranchers cause I couldn't put down my 490.

The Bad ? Now I want a 590 or 620, can't decide.

I know the feeling.
My saw collection got out of hand and I really hate to see 2 cycles just sit....down to 4 saws.

Recently sold an 036 and (2) 455 Ranchers cause I couldn't put down my 490.

The Bad ? Now I want a 590 or 620, can't decide.
My brother bought the 620P right after I bought the cs590. The ONLY thing Echo did to the 590 that makes makes me angry is that CHEEZY crappy Spur drive instead of a decent Rim drive. Other than that THAT, I'm very happy with my 590. A Spur drive reminds me of a Poulan saw. It stinks. It's degrading to a good saw. It screams HOME owner Saw. It cheapens ANY and ALL Professional saws. Then to add Insult to injury the cost of upgrading the Spur to Rim is outrageous. My dealer said 100 bucks or there about. Another saw that choked me up is my Farm boss. I bought my 029 Sthil used and had no idea it had a Spur drive. I was pi*sed. Sthil had lost its mind and put a spur gear on that saw. But, after market parts for Sthil are reasonable so for about 30 bucks I changed the Spur to Rim. The 029 was a disappointment at first However after I did a few things to its fairly decent. Heavy for what it does but now mine pulls a 24 inch chain. The bottom line is your needs. The cs590 actually will be okay with the Spur because I don't use it more than 4/6 hours a month. But,,,,If,,,,the 620P could be bought for 100 dollars more than the 590 and if you just hate Spur drive then I'd pay that 100 dollars difference. The Plastic Handle and the other few things don't bother me. HOWEVER, I think Echo is pulling this stunt to make people buy more saw than they actually need. But a few actually do need the 620p. I'd choose it over the Sthil 391 which my other brother owns. The final word is, that even with the stinking Spur drive the cs590 IS a very good saw for the 400 bucks I paid. However, add the cost of the bar and now its just over 500 bucks. Now that im semi-retire I'll never wear mine out. Fact is it's able to drop huge trees. That's me in the photo standing in the top of a huge oak dropped with cs590 December 22, 18. Bar and chain on the saw is an Echo 27 inch bar and professional chain. That set up cost ANOTHER 100 BUCKS. If you buy a cs620p and need a long bar and IF you can buy the cs620P WITH that long bar for 100 to 150 bucks more than the 590, that would be a good deal. Think French Fries. No Ketsup = cs590. With Ketsup = cs620p. With 27 inch bar = a Free desert.

Attachments

• IMG_20181223_194214_009.jpg
    IMG_20181223_194214_009.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 24

Latest posts

Back