echo cs600 won't do anything except idle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

romad10

Recon Observe Mark And Destroy
Reaction score
It's not mine.. A buddy of mine. It won't do anything but idle. Give any gas at all and it dies. Starts right back up and dies, start hit gas and dies. Carb has 1/4 of turn total adjustment unless I dig the stops out with vice grip. Has a new carb kit. Gas tank vent functions fine . took the vent completely out and it does the same thing. Pulse from crankcase works. Put some Vaseline on the pulse line (disconnected from carb) and pulled over and sucked and pushed. Fuel line is clear of obstructions. 160psi compression. Saw was running fine and then started doing this. Took carb apart again and can not find anything inside that would be a blockage. Push in on diaphram with screwdriver and blow in fuel input and the needle allows fuel to flow.
Any ideas??? I assumed it would have been bad gas tank vent or pulse line hose was bad..
Thx guys

How do you get those stupid caps off? I assume they are destroyed once I get them off? Drill them out? If it was my saw, no problem removing them ;)

Sounds like a CS600P. Look at metering screws area. There should be slot on each to where caps will slip out. It take sharp pointed object to get them to slip out. You will need to align the tab with the slot before they will slip out. I used a micro flat blade screwdriver to get the last ones out. Once once you can remove the screws. Don't reinstall until your happy with the adjustments as only in the same as they are removed.

The arrows point to slots if it is the carburetor I'm thinking about in the following image.
hda268_zpscdcowi8j.png

This should be what the limiter looks once removed.
part_p_507216_3030050786.gif

Caps are not going back on.. Muhahahaha.. Thx guys!!!. I'll keep ya posted

ok, got caps out.. pulled High and Low speed screws out.. does not appear that they were ever turned in too far. noticed that one of the holes bottoms out and the other has a pass through.

i got the screws mixed up.. who would have thought it would have been a good idea to use the same threads on both screws.. one of them had a little wear on the black finish so i put that one in the one with the passthrough (low speed if my memory serves me right). the other needle that didnt have anything worn off the finish i put in the hole with a bottom in it.

pulled the carb apart AGAIN.. i was able to shine light through the H and L speed screw holes and see light inside the carb float area.. i dont see anything anywhere in the carb.

pulled the stupid saw apart and replaced the pulse line. there was nothing wrong with it other than it was a little loose on the crankcase/barb end.

it pops EVERY SINGLE TIME I pull the recoil..

SO NOW, anyone have any idea what the factory H and L speed jet settings are from all the way in? 1 turn out? 2 out ? 3 out ? 5 out ? 6 out?

owners manual (online) refers to settings when the stops are in place with factory settings in place.

if you know for sure.. is the H the longer of the 2 or the shorter screw of the 2?

thx again guys!

I had a saw that only idled and after going through everything else and pulling out what was left of my hair, I finally discovered the piston was missing a chunk of skirt on the intake side. Just saying.

I had a saw that only idled and after going through everything else and pulling out what was left of my hair, I finally discovered the piston was missing a chunk of skirt on the intake side. Just saying.
I tried to tell you not to use ur screwdriver in the intake as a piston stop for clutch removal

How do all these newer members mess up all these Echo 600s? What did you find so far?

Thx guys. I'll get the carb set with the factory settings and check the Muffler screen. I sure hope it's not the skirt. That would suck..

coast was clear.

set the carb to factory settings from echo manual... same issue
removed muffler screen, clean as a whistle... ran without muffler.. same issue
removed the cylinder to look at the piston.. spotless.. nothing on they cylinder, nothing on the piston.. complete skirt in tact..

what in the world could it possibly be?

"How do all these newer members mess up all these Echo 600s? What did you find so far?"

Ive got a ton of saws (many more than listed in my sig) and never encountered this issue... i wont say its because "its an echo". It has compression, it has fuel, it has ignition.. it has to run! the only thing that it could be is the carburetor.. that something got stuck somewhere inside that i cannot get to with air, poker / etc...

i do have a ultrasonic cleaner but dont really have anything other than water to run in it and hope it dislodges whatever is in there... any other ideas?

i might just get a water sprayer and manually spray fuel in carb to see if it runs with fuel being supplied other than with the carb...

what do you guys think about this..

http://chainsawrepair.createaforum.com/echo/echo-cs-600p-walbro-hda-268/

Another potential cause is if the timing is retarded. If you haven't, check the flywheel key.

Did you clean the small screen in the carb? Sometimes you can see through it but it still has a film of crud on it.

I replaced the filter screen in carb.
Good idea on the key.. I'll check that!!!

Latest posts

Back