echo saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnt75

Reaction score
Looking at echo CS 3450 chain saw or stihl model 025 or 026 or possibly poulan saw. Any advice on pros and cons of each. Don't do lots of cutting mostly trimming around ranch.

How much do you want to spend? Obviously the 026 is the best but will cost you $450 bones. You can get a cs3450 for $250 if you really look around. Never had one but they are supposed to be very dependable

The Stihl 025 is more of a homeowner's saw, the 026 is a commercial saw (better air filter, better rings, carb, piston, etc.). I have used a Echo 3400 (same as 3450 but top mounted rear handle) for years and find them to hold up extremely well for the price. For someone doing occasional work around a ranch, I would recommend, in order,
1) Echo 3450 (excellent value for the money, cut up to 18" wood)
2) Stihl 025 ( not one of Stihl's best, but good for occasional use on medium sized stuff, up to 24")
3) Stihl 026 ( excellent saw, will run forever, lots of power, but probably overkill for occasional use- $$$)

Hi TnT75,

I agree with points Treeclimber165 and Huskyman made.

The Echo 3450 weighs 8+ pounds where as the Stihls both weigh 10+ pounds. The 3450 has 2.2HP, the 025 has 3.0HP, and the 026 has 3.5HP.

Just to stir the fire, consider the Husqvarna 345 and 350. They both weigh 10+ pounds and have 3.0HP and 3.1 HP respectively. They both have compression releases, are comparable to and cost a bit less than the Stihl 025.

In this size category, the Poulan 295 Pro is also an option.

Bottom Line: If you want to get a good saw at a low price, get a Husky 345 or 350. If you want a light weight saw, get the Echo 3450. If you want extremely long life, get the Stihl 026. If you want your friends to tease you, get the Poulan 295 Pro.

Chain Gang

I was sure that Husky had saws that would compare, but I am not familiar with their line. Thanks for posting model numbers to compare.

:laugh: at Poulan!! The only decent saw they ever made was the Super25 and that was discontinued a couple years ago.

Stihl 025 is junk and Stihl 026 may be overkill for your application.

The Echo should be a good fit but you might also want to look at Makita DCS401. The Makita (Dolmar Sachs) is about 40cc and weight is a mere 8.8 lbs. It has 2 ring piston, adjustable oiler, very low vibration, and great air filtration system.

I thought about throwing some Husky numbers out there but didnt want to be accused of being one-dimensional:) But since Carroll opened the can I can confuse tnt a little more. Get a Husky 55. You will never regret it. Seriously though, I almost got a 3450 but stumbled across a baby Homelite XL2 I love so much (and it sounds a lot cooler) It is actually lighter than the 3450 and I saved $200

I thought about throwing some Husky numbers out there but didnt want to be accused of being one-dimensional:) But since Carroll opened the can I can confuse tnt a little more. Get a Husky 55. You will never regret it. Seriously though, I almost got a 3450 but stumbled across a baby Homelite XL2 I love so much (and it sounds a lot cooler) It is actually lighter than the 3450 and I saved $200

HUSKYMAN

You must have gotten that XL2 mighty cheap! I can get an Echo 3450 for less than $300 anywhere in town. If you got the XL2 for $200 less, send me a couple!

For $25 and one turn of the idle mixture screw I got a great trimming saw, extra plug, case, and manual. Sure its 25 yrs old but it sounds as good as the 009 sounded bad. I am stockpiling the little saws for parts so eventually I will put a good one together for you and let you know

:) Sure the echo's are great, both the top and rear handles. But my faves besides my new Husky(Stihl for 25 years, just bought my first Husky) are my garage saws. Three Homelite xl2's and a very cherry Homelite EZ-Mini. Picked up all four saws at a garage sale while passing through Orland for about the same price I pay for a 100' reel of chain. Got a box of spare parts as well. Too bad Homelite didn't keep up with the times.

Back