Echo's new top handle: CS-355T

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edge & Engine

ArboristSite.com Sponsor
Reaction score
The CS-355T should be available any day now, just thought I'd start this thread now and put down what we know so far.
Rated power: 1.6kw (2.13hp)
Weight: currently unkown
Max RPM: 13,800-14,300
Dual post windowed chain brake
Comes with 2 interchangeable palm rests
More compact design vs previous models, rumored to be lighter as well
Retail $399
More details to come :)

Well..I must say that the price sure sounds good..!!

And really good hp..if it's true..

Surely..they wouldn't have a lot going for them and screw up on the weight..??

(and NO readers...I'm NOT going to say ONE word about the warranty..!!)
:cheers:
J2F

I saw an Echo brochure that said it had the power of a 200T, lighter weight, 5 year warranty, and much less expensive. It's actually a Shindaiwa design.

I hadn't heard about the Shindaiwa part, but it wouldn't surprise me.
I found the weight spec: 7.7lbs dry!
It has larger fluid capacities than the MS201T.

I just bought a Echo CS360T, and I wondered why the Echo website had eliminated the 360 on the main chainsaw page, and on another page all the saw names were in red ink but the 360 was in black. Now I know why. It will be interesting to see what improvements there are. It (355T) seems to be $100.00 more.
Bought a Stihl MS361 just before the 362 came out. The 361 works fine for me.

Last edited:
yes, this year the amazing echos will be "just as good" as the stihls... and at half the price! It's absolutely incredible!

yes, this year the amazing echos will be "just as good" as the stihls... and at half the price! It's absolutely incredible!

Maybe,

Without flippy caps no other saw will ever be as good! I kinda feel the same way about the price point. Over two horsepower for four hundred bucks is nice. I'd have given it serious consideration if I knew about it. The echo dealer near me sells echo, husqy, and REALLY pushes Stihl.

The 355 should be a significant step up over either of their current models. This is a true pro saw. No clamshell engine in this one! Based on the specs, I can't see why anyone would even consider a 192T.
Well..I can certainly see your point as for performance and if it is truly a Pro grade saw.

But the 192T (at least mine)..(paid $150)..has served me very well..was practically in new condition..light homeowner use.

But I bought it from a dealer in Michigan who guaranteed the saw for 30 days or $$ back..

So perhaps I'm the exception rather than the rule.

The new 355 is still 33% higher than a new 192T..so that might matter to older folks..limited income..just yard clean-up use.

And once again..I will NOT go into the warranty comparison between Stihl and Echo..!!!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Damn - Just saw in the video...there's an ergonomic handle...and a "palm rest"...

Hell.. that's what all us old timers have been dreaming about for years....screw the warranty..!!
J2F

Last edited:
The 192 is a homeowner grade saw. It's basically a MS170 with a top handle. Same cc, same power, same stamped rod, same clamshell...... Will they cut wood? Sure. But, they're a long way from a pro saw. That's all I'm saying. I won't own Stihl homeowner grade saws. There are simply better options.

Last edited:
The 192 is a homeowner grade saw. It's basically a MS170 with a top handle. Same cc, same power, same stamped rod, same clamshell...... Will they cut wood? Sure. But, they're a long way from a pro saw. That's all I'm saying. I won't own Stihl homeowner grade saws. There are simply better options.

The 355T is basically a Shindaiwa with a vertically split mag case, forged rod, bolt on cylinder......

I think you must be confused with another saw, The 355T does have a forged rod, but it is a clamshell engine. It is also a new design, based off a model previously sold in Europe and Asia, with modifications.

View attachment 248961

I think you must be confused with another saw, The 355T does have a forged rod, but it is a clamshell engine.

View attachment 248961

Hmmm. Maybe I bought misinformation, and then spread more misinformation myself. My appoligies. I'll continue to see if I can find the other thread where this saw was discussed. Thanks for the facts. I'll go eat my humble pie now:(

Edit: I went back and editted/deleted posts so as to not spread misinformation.

Last edited:
Hmmm. Maybe I bought misinformation, and then spread more misinformation myself. My appoligies. I'll continue to see if I can find the other thread where this saw was discussed. Thanks for the facts. I'll go eat my humble pie now:(

Edit: I went back and editted/deleted posts so as to not spread misinformation.
Brad..I really respect you very much...and hope you didn't take my post wrong..!!

But the 192T is a well known super light-weight saw (yes..a top handle 170) but a good saw for it's intended purpose.

I have many elderly folks in my neighborhood that I do clean-up work for free..Usually using the 192T rather than the 200T.

The men usually want to try it out (not gonna buy one) but they love it's combination of balance and power..(OK not that much)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this is indeed a clamshell saw..regardless of the amenities (handle..palm rest) it's still 33% higher than a 192T

(which a really lightly used one can be had every week on eBay for about $150)

If it's got the power advertised..it might be OK for a home owner...but clamshell..spells NO to a Pro worker..for $400!!
J2F

Last edited:
If it's got the power advertised..it might be OK for a home owner...but clamshell..spells NO to a Pro worker..for $400!!
J2F

uummm... the claims you constantly hear on this site about clamshell engines being "not as good" as a non-clamshell engine are such nonsense. A clamshell engine is just another design, with equal cc's there's no bloody difference in performance, there's no difference in longevity or power or whatever. The XPT TH huskys are 100% pro-grade saws and they're clamshell design, I've run them trouble-free for decades and they actually more robust and outlast the "better"(sigh) 200T engine. Just thought I'd mention that... BUT OF COURSE I AIN'T PRAISING ANY ECHO! The 350T/360T's are absolute pigs of TH saws compared to the "equivalent" pro husky and pro stihls.

Had another go on one(350T) in the trees this week pruning(for about two minutes - that was more than enough)and they're truly nasty nasty saws compared to the real deal pro stuff. Anyone thinking a half-price saw can equal the top models out there are dreaming man. I guarantee this new-fangled 355 TH will be just another hyped-up exercise in propaganda and downright lies and mis-information . AS PER NORMAL for echo.... :msp_biggrin:

Back