Educate me on pole saws!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huntaholic

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the most part I don't need a pole saw but I WANT one! Im very familiar with chainsaws but my knowledge of pole saws is ZERO. I want a professional saw with the longest reach and lightest weight possible. Any suggestions?

Huh? Im afraid to even google that! Im afraid it will be some Japanese fetish site that will infect me with a computer STD! :D

It's a very high quality Japanese manual pole saw. Much lighter than a power saw and longer reach too. Mine has 3 extensions totalling 21'. I have both a gas pole saw and manual. I don't have a ton of time on either yet, but that silky sure is light and it cuts like butter.

I used a manual pole saw for a lotta years. It has a blade and also a rope-operated lopper function. I still have it, and might use it for really small stuff. But this year I broke down and bought a Stihl HT103 and now I have a new favorite power tool.

Im not using a manual pole saw, I will cut the tree down before I do that. Ive used a stihl once cleaning some shooting lanes out but that little devil got HEAVY after just a few cuts. Im well aware of how to operate one, I use a chainsaw to make a living so Im not too concerned with "shooting my eye out". :D

I have a Fiskars manual pole saw that extends and has a rope pull lopper setup on it. I use that when I only have a couple of branches on my trees that need attention and don't feel like messing around with the power pruner.

For the power pruner, I have the Echo PPF-280. It's a 28cc, 9 ft fixed shaft, with a 12 inch bar on the end. It uses 3/8 LP chain. It runs real well, and the shaft on it is fairly strong. Trade off there with the shaft is that it is a feels heavier, even worse when I put the 3 ft extension shaft on it. Sure beats running the manual saw though when I need it.

I have a Fiskars manual pole saw that extends and has a rope pull lopper setup on it. I use that when I only have a couple of branches on my trees that need attention and don't feel like messing around with the power pruner.

For the power pruner, I have the Echo PPF-280. It's a 28cc, 9 ft fixed shaft, with a 12 inch bar on the end. It uses 3/8 LP chain. It runs real well, and the shaft on it is fairly strong. Trade off there with the shaft is that it is a feels heavier, even worse when I put the 3 ft extension shaft on it. Sure beats running the manual saw though when I need it.
I have an echo weedeater that's been flawless for years now but I wasn't aware they made pole saws. THANKS!

My Echo weedeater has been great, had it for about 14 years now. Even has their old grey colors. My dad has one even older that he bought in the 90's and it's still going good.

I've since expanded my fleet to include a CS-400 chainsaw, the PPF-280 power pruner, and an ES-250 handheld leaf blower/vacuum. Haven't had any trouble out of any of them. :) They make good equipment.

Stihl makes a good pole saw. But.... Why in Tarnation don't they make them with a duck bill? With the saw tip angled down, just a bit, so it cuts more parallel to the ground? It bugs me. Echo, or somebody DOES make one with an angled head.
N

Stihl makes a good pole saw. But.... Why in Tarnation don't they make them with a duck bill? With the saw tip angled down, just a bit, so it cuts more parallel to the ground? It bugs me. Echo, or somebody DOES make one with an angled head.
N

I know there is someone making them with a pivoting head. Not sure who though. I have also seen that Cannon makes a bar that achieves a similar result. Not 90 degrees, but anything helps.

Now I just need to find somebody that wants to trade a pole saw for a chainsaw! Ive got lots of chainsaws, anything from an 034 stihl to a ms660, husqvarnas from a 50 to a 390 and I cant use them all lol.

Back