Efco 152 long term test

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihl Crazy

ArboristSite.com Sponsor
Reaction score
Seems to be alittle interest in Efco saws lately. I am going to test a 152 to see what they are made of. Bought a new one and has 50 tanks already. Plan is to run it for 1000 tanks. Saw is used daily for pulp, logging and firewood.

Will update every 50 tanks with report of any failures.

Saw is setup with .325 chain and 8 tooth rim. Set at 13,500 rpm.

May take some video comparing to other 50cc saws here.

Saw has 2 year commercial warranty. Time will tell.

Sounds good. Day in, day out use separates the saws from the toys pretty quick. I'll be following this thread, thanks for taking the time to do this. - Sam

I think you may be surprised at how good they really are. We've got a year and a half on a 156, hasn't had a single issue. I'd take it over a 310 anyday.
We've cut a heck of alot of wood with it, hired help has used and abused it and it keeps on going. The recoil spring/starter rope assembly is making a liitle noise when it rewinds, need to take it apart and make sure something (stick/debris) isn't hung up it it. It sips fuel as well, hope it works out. I wouldn't hesitate buying another one for our commercial firewood operation.

Stihl crazy what do you have in the 50cc class to compare against? I'm curious to see how they stack up.I have the cub cadet version and am really pleased with its performance.I have used it cutting firewood for 2.5 years no problems yet. Troutfisher took it to the gtg in eastern ny last year and i heard it held its own.

I think you may be surprised at how good they really are. We've got a year and a half on a 156, hasn't had a single issue. I'd take it over a 310 anyday.
We've cut a heck of alot of wood with it, hired help has used and abused it and it keeps on going. The recoil spring/starter rope assembly is making a liitle noise when it rewinds, need to take it apart and make sure something (stick/debris) isn't hung up it it. It sips fuel as well, hope it works out. I wouldn't hesitate buying another one for our commercial firewood operation.

I have a new 156 and 165 here also. Used the 165 some this past winter. I like the 152 better for pulp. 165 will see alot of blocking firewood this summer. I am buying an Olympic 980 also.

Stihl crazy what do you have in the 50cc class to compare against? I'm curious to see how they stack up.I have the cub cadet version and am really pleased with its performance.I have used it cutting firewood for 2.5 years no problems yet. Troutfisher took it to the gtg in eastern ny last year and i heard it held its own.

346, 5000 Partner, 5000 Redmax

I think you may be surprised at how good they really are. We've got a year and a half on a 156, hasn't had a single issue.

Yeah, but the 52 isn't the 56. Plastic case! I have the John Deere flavor of the 52, and while I do think it's a great saw, I don't think you can really compare it to a metal cased saw. One of these days soon I have to rebuild mine (yes, I'll post pics!), because I overheated it pretty badly. A metal case wouldn't have minded.

Yeah, but the 52 isn't the 56. Plastic case! I have the John Deere flavor of the 52, and while I do think it's a great saw, I don't think you can really compare it to a metal cased saw. One of these days soon I have to rebuild mine (yes, I'll post pics!), because I overheated it pretty badly. A metal case wouldn't have minded.

Thats what I intend to find out. Just how tough they are. It will see enough 90 plus degree days to see how they take heat. Not going to baby it.

On a side note, 346NE costs over $825 here. 152 only $425.

Im very interested I almost bought one the other day I have a small efco and love it. Only bad thing here is that thereis no dealers.

Hey! Us Efco dealers hate it when people say there aren't dealers. Granted, I only work there, but we've sold a few and people seem to like them. This is in a place where the Stihl dealerships outnumber the Efco people, oh, about 23-1. Its hard not to wonder about them because the heritage of the brand was under a couple of different names (Olympic, Olympik, Ole-Mac, Emak for a while). I have a couple of Deere branded saws and really like both. The 36 is better IMHO than the 210, and the 56 gets used way more than my 29 Super, maybe cause I like JD, maybe cause I like the .325 setup, and I've become familiar with the saws. And the parts I would need I could get at cost +10% would be slightly :censored: cheaper than same for the Stihls, which are good, if not great, saws. I don't see them after they've been sold, and we are the dealer in the region as far as warranty for the Menards and Northern Stores here in S. MN. We've only had 2 warrenty claims; one was an assembly problem from the "box" stores, and one was a carb issue: we replaced it (on a trimmer). Why Deere abandoned them I don't know (with my two I know of as many green Efcos as red ones) but the fact Cub Cadet was selling the same saw would have peeved me. If they paired up with Stihl to spite them, or Stihl approached Deere to snuff them out, or its a coincidence, I don't know. Run them, I think you'll like them, but the dealer thing keeps me from Husky (at least thats my excuse for now), that and I've run new Efcos, but only customers Huskys and Jonnys.

I just discovered a 5 year old brochure here and was surprised that Oleo-Mac makes three augers, seven chainsaws, four hedge trimmers, ten weed whackers,
seven water pumps, two sprayers, two blowers, three cutoff saws and four lawn tractors.
Gypo

I got to run a friends 999 Olympyk. That thing is a beast for sure. It can keep right up by my 084. Some of the ideas that they used in the R&D of the saws is a little strange, but all in all it is an impressive unit. JJuday

I got to run a friends 999 Olympyk. That thing is a beast for sure. It can keep right up by my 084. Some of the ideas that they used in the R&D of the saws is a little strange, but all in all it is an impressive unit. JJuday

I tried to get the Canadian distributer to get me a new 199. They said it was too much trouble to stock parts for only 1 saw, so they declined. I will get one someday.

I've been wondering about this saw. Good to hear about it. I just ordered the same setup for my JD, a silver streaker bar (18") and will run RSC the first chain anyways (cause I got a new one, thats why). JJ, whats so strange? I kinda thought Olympiks were a little (just a little) in front of the mainstream, but only from a hindsight view, this saw is this old, and what was that period like in some other brand. Rep for all, thanks for posting about something other than a 346!

Back