Efco 152 long term test

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
152 is updated 952...520 would be the latest I think. 520 is a 'better' saw in that it is metal bodied. I have a 152, great saw. But, I would trade it for the Dolmar (Makita) if chance came up for even swap.

I would not, but thats me. Both designs not the latest from their respective makers, but still very good saws.

I think dcs52 and dcs520 is the same chainsaw. Are you sure that efco 152 is the updated 952? In which parts is it upgraded?

A little off the subject but it is about a 152...

I am new to the site and need some help...

I recently scored the piston and cylinder on my JD branded Efco 152. I am trying to find a replacement kit but there are hard to come by! I have found the piston kit but I think I need to change out the cylinder too.

I am new to the site and need some help...

I recently scored the piston and cylinder on my JD branded Efco 152. I am trying to find a replacement kit but there are hard to come by! I have found the piston kit but I think I need to change out the cylinder too.

i'm guessing you don't need the "adjust your carb" speech, eh?
also, might have more responses if you take this to the olympic, etc. thread.
however, can you feel the scores in the jug with your fingernail? got pix? of the slug AND the jug?

i'm guessing you don't need the "adjust your carb" speech, eh?
also, might have more responses if you take this to the olympic, etc. thread.
however, can you feel the scores in the jug with your fingernail? got pix? of the slug AND the jug?

I'm happy to listen to any and all speeches. I know very little about chainsaws. That said, the carb should have been adjusted correctly as I had the saw tuned up quite recently. I'll try to get some pics but I know I can feel the scores in the piston but I was told by someone who may or may not know what they are talking about that I should just replace the cylinder too.

I've thought about starting out only replacing the piston and seeing where that gets me. Do I run the risk of damaging the new piston if the cylinder does have issues?

What part of NWA are you in Jerry? Small world, I am in Gentry.

I'm happy to listen to any and all speeches. I know very little about chainsaws. That said, the carb should have been adjusted correctly as I had the saw tuned up quite recently. I'll try to get some pics but I know I can feel the scores in the piston but I was told by someone who may or may not know what they are talking about that I should just replace the cylinder too.

I've thought about starting out only replacing the piston and seeing where that gets me. Do I run the risk of damaging the new piston if the cylinder does have issues?

What part of NWA are you in Jerry? Small world, I am in Gentry.

Many times the cylinder can be cleaned up... Get with Jerry... He's pretty good at makin' do with what ya got. :rock:

You should pull it apart and try to clean it up first and see where that gets you. You'll probably see soon enough if the cyl is going to be usable or not.

Its apart at the moment, trying to get more power out of it. Did a mild port a while back, going deeper this time.

FWIW, they like a lot of compression...
Like 200+...
And they have good volume in the crank case, so can feed some fuel...
Let us know how it turns out...

I got a good torque increase the first time, I want speed this time.
There should be a video of it in this thread somewhere.

I think Mastermind was into one of those a while back. He might have some helpful tips on transfer timing to get you what you're looking for.. I think they would benefit from not only more time on the transfers, but a larger carb. Please post vid when done!!!

I think Mastermind was into one of those a while back. He might have some helpful tips on transfer timing to get you what you're looking for.. I think they would benefit from not only more time on the transfers, but a larger carb. Please post vid when done!!!

I think I know who's it was. I like running it, liked it before, but it runs a little better now.

A bigger carb may be in the works. Not much time now.

New Efco 152 owner

Well I needed a saw and there were two places I felt comfortable in purchasing; "The Green Store" as my 5 year old calls Menard's and Murdoch's. Sorry Slipknot, but I went with "The Green Store." They had their last 152 with a 20" bar on discontinued/closeout for $320. I was the guy standing in the isle with his droid out doing my usual isle review shopping and came across this thread by Mr. SC Artie. After scanning through the posts and seeing he had run over 400 tanks, I was looking for a 152 box to throw in the cart! They had also had a couple of MT37000 that were being discontinued as well.

I got the 152 home and had to wrestle with getting the chain on track as they tighten them down solid in the store. I got it on and rolling smooth, gassed'r up, filled it with chain oil, primed, choked and it cranked on the 3rd pull, started on the 4th. Tomorrow I will be out back tear'n up some logs then off to clear some brush logs off a tree row! The free wood easily makes up for the cost of the saw. :msp_thumbsup:

Thanks for this post, I just sit and read page after page and counted my blessings that I happen across this amazing little saw. I could have easily went over to the other store and dropped at least another $100 on a Husqy Rancher, and probably been just as satisfied, but I enjoy knowing that I am part of an elite group of fellas that happen across something special. Thanks again Stihl Crazy! :bowdown:

New Efco 152 owner

Well I needed a saw and there were two places I felt comfortable in purchasing; "The Green Store" as my 5 year old calls Menard's and Murdoch's. Sorry Slipknot, but I went with "The Green Store." They had their last 152 with a 20" bar on discontinued/closeout for $320. I was the guy standing in the isle with his droid out doing my usual isle review shopping and came across this thread by Mr. SC Artie. After scanning through the posts and seeing he had run over 400 tanks, I was looking for a 152 box to throw in the cart! They had also had a couple of MT37000 that were being discontinued as well.

I got the 152 home and had to wrestle with getting the chain on track as they tighten them down solid in the store. I got it on and rolling smooth, gassed'r up, filled it with chain oil, primed, choked and it cranked on the 3rd pull, started on the 4th. Tomorrow I will be out back tear'n up some logs then off to clear some brush logs off a tree row! The free wood easily makes up for the cost of the saw. :msp_thumbsup:

Thanks for this post, I just sit and read page after page and counted my blessings that I happen across this amazing little saw. I could have easily went over to the other store and dropped at least another $100 on a Husqy Rancher, and probably been just as satisfied, but I enjoy knowing that I am part of an elite group of fellas that happen across something special. Thanks again Stihl Crazy! :bowdown:

Found a 152 at the local "greenstore" closeout for $330. Store display, saw only, missing oil cap and gas cap O ring, no box or papers. Chain tighter than a banjo string, dirty dusty orphaned efco looking for a good home. The last lonely efco for this store. Talked to the manager and he gave me the "store cost" price of $249 plus the governors 7%. Ebayed filler caps from chinsawchain4less for $13. Fired right up....oh happy day. Looks good between my 41Boss and 341Echo. Hope to put it in some wood soon. Best Regards from a new member woodcutting in the hoosier state. Merry Christmas.

I think you may be surprised at how good they really are. We've got a year and a half on a 156, hasn't had a single issue. I'd take it over a 310 anyday.
We've cut a heck of alot of wood with it, hired help has used and abused it and it keeps on going. The recoil spring/starter rope assembly is making a liitle noise when it rewinds, need to take it apart and make sure something (stick/debris) isn't hung up it it. It sips fuel as well, hope it works out. I wouldn't hesitate buying another one for our commercial firewood operation.
I feel the same way you do about the 156 Efco! Mine doesn't get anywhere the use your's does but after 4 years mine runs great!! Not one issue!
It probably is my best starting saw, and I don't have a saw that runs any better!
If people knew how great a firewood saws these are it would probably outsell the 290!! Just runs and runs! Blow it off, keep the chain sharp, add gas and oil,and cut wood!! Just a great firewood saw!!

Back