Elasto-start rope

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm showing a couple of different part numbers for chainsaws:

1128 190 2900 is Stihl's part number for just the rope for the Elasto-Start in 3.5mm cord.
1128 190 3400 is Stihl's part number for the entire Elasto-Start handle & rope assembly (3.5mm)

If you have a concrete saw then they use a different Elasto-Start that has a 4.5 mm cord. Those part numbers are:

0000 190 2901 for the cord
0000 190 3414 for the cord and handle assembly.

Hope this helps.
je

View Post
If I'm not mistaken, there are three different Elasto-start sizes. They all share the same part number, the only difference being cord diameter.

0000 190 3402 (example application ms 250)

1128 190 3400 (example application ms 361)

1122 190 3400 (example application ms 600)

these are the three that i am aware of (and probably the ones you are talking about). there are no two different stihl parts which share the same part number. also, the replacement ropes are available with the elasto-start necessities present on the rope

Just put new rope inside the handle.

Last edited:
I thought the elasto-start was the goofy little spring in the starter handle?

You're right, there are more than 2. Here's a pic of 2 I have in stock. I'm out of the other number (1128 ...)

View attachment 257811
attachment.php

I'm showing a couple of different part numbers for chainsaws:

1128 190 2900 is Stihl's part number for just the rope for the Elasto-Start in 3.5mm cord.
1128 190 3400 is Stihl's part number for the entire Elasto-Start handle & rope assembly (3.5mm)

If you have a concrete saw then they use a different Elasto-Start that has a 4.5 mm cord. Those part numbers are:

0000 190 2901 for the cord
0000 190 3414 for the cord and handle assembly.

Hope this helps.
je
It helps, but I was hopeing to be able to just put rope off a roll in it. Looks like its got 2 pieces of plastic molded on it tho. Wonder what the price diff is between just the rope and the assm? Its part num 1128 190 3400 on the assm which was 20 bucks or so a few years back.
I may just put a regular rope in it if its more than 10 bucks for the right rope.
Thanks for the help guys.

It helps, but I was hopeing to be able to just put rope off a roll in it. Looks like its got 2 pieces of plastic molded on it tho. Wonder what the price diff is between just the rope and the assm? Its part num 1128 190 3400 on the assm which was 20 bucks or so a few years back.
I may just put a regular rope in it if its more than 10 bucks for the right rope.
Thanks for the help guys.

You can use regular rope. It's the handle and it's guts that make it elastostart.

The small one works on the 036-362 and 026 the big one is for the 044-088 and I don't know about the ms200-fs550 size.

These work great on the 026 for women who have a hard time without a decomp.

You can use regular rope. It's the handle and it's guts that make it elastostart.
Not entirely true. If you use "regular rope" with one knot on the top, it will work, but you lose some of the original cushioning.

Regardless, I have fixed a few with ordinary braided nylon pull cord knotted at the top, saved the customer about $20, and nobody has ever complained.

Not entirely true. If you use "regular rope" with one knot on the top, it will work, but you lose some of the original cushioning.

Regardless, I have fixed a few with ordinary braided nylon pull cord knotted at the top, saved the customer about $20, and nobody has ever complained.

Interesting. Stihl has a monopoly on special starter rope now too :D

Personally, I'd use just the regular rope. The only time I see an advantage to the Elasto-Start is for concrete saws that you really can't drop start easily.

It's easy to change by popping out the top center of the handle with a carb adjusting screwdriver. The ropes are 1/2 the cost of the whole unit, about $8 where I am. I've gone the knockoff route(Bailey,s) and yes they're junk and break in cold weather and those have a spring inside. There are also cheap chicom imitations on the internet that don't use quality ropes and are for the wrong application. Buy the factory product and you'll avoid alot of frustration and wasted time and $. One thing that does work for me is buying the whole starter assembly (Bailey's) and then replacing the rope with an elastostart rope. Unless you carry two chainsaws with you or the spare parts & tools you think you'll need a break down can easily cost you a days pay which in some cases can pay for 1/2 the cost of a good used saw.

I think people have the wrong notion of how this thing works. I know I did before a closer look. 1st of all, theres no spring in the handle. The handle is in 2 parts with the inner /lower part being kinda strechie(if thats a word)..The rope is a good but not a strechie piece. There is a smaller cylinderical shaped piece of plastic molded to the rope which seats on the lower portion of the handle and a larger molded piece that seats on the top side of the handle. The rope between these 2 pieces is longer than the distance between the top and bottom of the handle allowing the handle to strech untill the slack is taken up. It seems to me the main advantage is that it takes some shock load off the starter dawgs when the guy thats not buying the saws yanks on it before engagement of the dawgs. Hell, I buy my own saws and still do it.

I think people have the wrong notion of how this thing works. I know I did before a closer look. 1st of all, theres no spring in the handle. The handle is in 2 parts with the inner /lower part being kinda strechie(if thats a word)..The rope is a good but not a strechie piece. There is a smaller cylinderical shaped piece of plastic molded to the rope which seats on the lower portion of the handle and a larger molded piece that seats on the top side of the handle. The rope between these 2 pieces is longer than the distance between the top and bottom of the handle allowing the handle to strech untill the slack is taken up. It seems to me the main advantage is that it takes some shock load off the starter dawgs when the guy thats not buying the saws yanks on it before engagement of the dawgs. Hell, I buy my own saws and still do it.

Your are correct in how the thing works. The rubber handle stretches to absorb the shock load. The slack in the starter rope between the top and bottom plastic caps is taken up when the rubber handle stretches. I can try to post a pic if folks are still unclear how this thing works.

The contents of my elasto start handle.

eqa4aram.jpg

The handle feels of a very solid plastic, no rubber. And there's a spring.

The contents of my elasto start handle.

eqa4aram.jpg

The handle feels of a very solid plastic, no rubber. And there's a spring.

I Did not know that.
The larger ones don't have a spring.
Thanks.
je

Back