electric logslitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milkie62

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Don't laugh. I have a perfectly good logsplitter that has served me well going on 30 yrs that I built myself. Zero issues with it. But I got to thinking since I find a lot of 5-6 inch dead trees mostly elm that need splitting. I can take a trailer load and split it in my garage without noise and fumes. Does anybody have any experience with electric splitters and how do they work ?

Had one of the menards ones I got for nada. Super slow, no power, wedge sucked. Sold it for $50. It had a spring that would retract the ram.

It would split straight grain maple no problem.

I have maple and elm. Mostly in the 6" dia range. I suppose I could buy the one from Home Depot and return it if it does not work on elm. I was using a wedge on the small elm today and it sucked.

Don't laugh. I have a perfectly good logsplitter that has served me well going on 30 yrs that I built myself. Zero issues with it. But I got to thinking since I find a lot of 5-6 inch dead trees mostly elm that need splitting. I can take a trailer load and split it in my garage without noise and fumes. Does anybody have any experience with electric splitters and how do they work ?
Pictures of your splitter would be great.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

i hav owed 2 uf the boss 7 ton electric splitters and they were decent 4 anything under 9 inches , i sold them and bought a small brav gas splitter with no regrets,

I absolutely LOVE my 5-ton Homelite. Very little noise, no fumes, no gas, starts anytime I need it with the push of the pedal (modification). I've had it about 10 years now. So far I've had to replace the wear pads under the pusher and add hydraulic oil. I burn 3.5 - 5 cords/yr and stay 3+ years ahead. I split 60% pine and fir, 40% black oak. Anything over 20 in. diameter may need to have a kerf noodled in it to start the wedge. I doesn't like crotches and really twisted grain. If/when it finally quits, I will gladly spend $300 for another.

WP_20190927_13_50_22_Pro.jpg

Pictures of your splitter would be great.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

If I can remember I will take some pics. I built it back in 1990 and just replaced the valve since the detent had a groove worn in it and would not go in auto mode. Still worked good but had to hold for the return cycle. Only other problem was when I dropped a round on a hose and the fitting started to leak. Still using the same lovejoy insert also.

Have a 4 ton and a 6 ton model and they are fantastic.
Quiet, powerful, cheap and can run them indoors.
Mine have served me well for over 10 years now.
I also have a 30 ton Hydro for most of the medium to large stuff.
I highly recommend getting one, especially for what you want to do.

Had a friend who had his mounted inside a little red wagon he would put in his front loader bucket. Had a inverter on his tractor and split wood in the woods with it and could move it arond to do so with the wagon.
When the trailer was loaded he would put the splitter back in the bucket with the cords and head to the house.
His was 10 years old when he passed and his widow had a auction sale.

:D Al

I bought this one just to keep in my garge to make kindling or split some existing splits smaller if i need smaller peices. It works good for that. straight grained wood is best. shorter pieces are esier on it. it does make some noise, not bad ,but not quiet.20181014_185055.jpg

I really haven't noticed a whole lot of difference other than the cord gets in the way. :dancing:

MVC-017F_10.JPG

I bought this one just to keep in my garge to make kindling or split some existing splits smaller if i need smaller peices. It works good for that. straight grained wood is best. shorter pieces are esier on it. it does make some noise, not bad ,but not quiet.View attachment 771810

Similar to my idea of backing my dump trailer in the heated shop on a rainy or blustery day and having the radio on splitting a load of straight grain wood for the indoor woodstove .

I absolutely LOVE my 5-ton Homelite. Very little noise, no fumes, no gas, starts anytime I need it with the push of the pedal (modification). I've had it about 10 years now. So far I've had to replace the wear pads under the pusher and add hydraulic oil. I burn 3.5 - 5 cords/yr and stay 3+ years ahead. I split 60% pine and fir, 40% black oak. Anything over 20 in. diameter may need to have a kerf noodled in it to start the wedge. I doesn't like crotches and really twisted grain. If/when it finally quits, I will gladly spend $300 for another.

View attachment 770312

you would like the Boss 7ton splitter it was very good , i sold my to buy my brave ez split 2 take in the woods thu. good video . thks

I have a friend that is a very talented welder that just likes to build stuff. He also got busted by the county for having 20+ cars on his property, so he built a 60X90 garage. Then he decided he needed an electric splitter to split inside of the new building. He built it like a big commercial I beam splitter with a crane on it. He was showing off when he showed it to me. He picked up a massive 5' Maple stump and that thing went right through the stump like nothing. The only problem was it was Sooooo Sloooow, by the time he split it in half, I needed a shave and hair cut. I'm sure that messing with pullies and stuff he could get it faster. Last time I saw it, it was still sitting outside, he packed so many cars and tractors in the garage, it wouldn't fit. Thanks for making me think of him. Last time I was in the garage he had 3 Model T Roadster Pick Up cabs. Another friend gave me a Model T truck frame, engine and trans, that his family ran a saw mill off of. Maybe I can build one complete truck?

Back