Electric Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musch

Chainsaw Zombie
Reaction score
I see that Baileys sells a pretty inexpensive electric log splitter.
Anyone have experience with one?
I am considering it for working in the garage in the city in the winter months.
Gas splitter is cost prohibitive/impractical for that setup, but it would be nice to grab firewood around here, and split it for the wood burner.

Are they decent? I generally trust that they sell quality stuff, but the reviews Ive seen on other electric splitters have been kinda marginal.

Thanks for the help.:pumpkin2:

buddy has one and it is slow .
but he does his 3 cords a year with it and he mostly splits small stuff about 10 to 12 inces thick.
he paid 229.95 .
he also has one hand so he cant swing an ax.
born with one hand as a result of a birth defect.
so i say buy one if it sucks sell it.
shayne

bassman said:
he mostly splits small stuff about 10 to 12 inces thick.

If my stuff were that small I'd buy one in a heartbeat, and let my boys run it.

But my stuff STARTS at 12" and I have only a little bit of that. Most is 18" and up to 36" or so. I doubt one of those electrics is going to touch that. And a lot of it is crotches, too.

I think and electric splitter would be awesome......if it was a 230 v motor that drove a hydraulic pump..... That said, my guess is that a "screw driven" splitter would be prone to problems and you would end up splitting the hard stuff by hand anyways.

So, in short.....I would not waste my money.... I think you will end up with a $200-$300 broken piece of **** in your garage. JMHO

I almost bought a hyd. power unit with a 20 gpm two stage pump at a local auction , sold for $240. It was 230 volts , single phase and would push a 5" or 6" cyl. through any wood you could get under it, and with 20 gpm of volume it would have a very quick cycle time. I was going to buy a 3-point tractor style splitter and mount the whole mess on a fab-ed up chassis. With a 3600 psi capacity and 20 gpm of flow pushing a 6" cyl. your talking 30+ tons of force!

I changed planes due to the uncertainty of how much electricity it would use and the lack of an outlet at my wood splitting area!

Jeff

RoosterBoy said:
here is a video my friend in connecticut did of his ryobi 4 ton electric splitter
enjoy. http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3250564736632390139&q=electric+splitter&hl=en

Jason

Jason.....Thats a good example of wood that could have been split by hand faster than using the Ryobi... First off, the large piece he was splitting into kindling is the size I and most people I know burn in their wood stoves.

Can you post a video of your friend splitting 2 year old seasoned rounds of Elm. Perhaps he could start off with a 25 inch across round and 18 inches long that has 3-4 limb off shoots.

WoodTick007 said:
Can you post a video of your friend splitting 2 year old seasoned rounds of Elm. Perhaps he could start off with a 25 inch across round and 18 inches long that has 3-4 limb off shoots.

Yeah, right! :hmm3grin2orange:

Thanks very much for posting that vid, Jason. Man, now that I've seen one in action, I wouldn't give ten bucks for one. I can split many times faster with my maul, monster and regular.

What a piece of junk!

JeffHK454 said:
.... and the lack of an outlet at my wood splitting area!

Jeff

Oh, details, details!

That sure would be a nice splitter for me, though. All my splitting is close to the house.

I wasn't going to watch the video, I wasn't going t coment, but I can't bite my tounge!!

I guess if you have nothing better to do than knock the bark off of you wood, and pull apart pieces with you're hands, which you're splitter won't split. I guess it's an awsome deal!!! I couldn't even watch the whole video:hmm3grin2orange: I can't see how it's faster than a maul!!! I think I will have to buy one now, just so I can run it through mine when it's done:deadhorse:
Andy

yea he got a deal on it $150 bucks and he's having fun with it. what is a good splitting mull for me to get that works most of the time with one whack i tried a 6 pond mull and my stomach was in pain for a week. i went to the doctors because i thought a got a hernia but I'm OK now. but never a 6 pond mull again :)

thanks
Jason

I use an 8 pound maul and a happy gilmore like swing. I've gotten very accurate with it and i can usually split about anything up to ~20" with 1-2 hits. I should say that i dont always use the gilmore swing, usually only have to when spliting the round in half, after that is generally only have to bring it up to about eye level and pound 'er down. That video about put me to sleep, i bet i could have split half a cord in the time he took to split up that one log.

Go Electric/Hydraulic

Hey, the little elec/hydraulic things work. I've used a DR 5 ton, made and developed in Italy!, for 5 years now for our 5-6 cords a year for heating, hot tub, workshop.

Cons: it is slower than our old 15 ton B&S splitter.
It can't do about 10% of the butts. Monster maul and steel wedge times.
Horizontal split only--need to pick up the butt above waist high to split.
If it can't split, the butt "sticks" in the wedge and needs prying/pounding loose.
Need an outlet nearby.

Pros:
It is quiet--radio and singing heard clearly. All together now :bowdown:
Always on ready to go.
No smelly engine running.
Very little maintenance needed.
Cheaper than any gas splitter.

For the little wood we do each year, I'll never go back to a gas splitter.
JMHO :cheers:

RoosterBoy said:
what is a good splitting mull for me to get that works most of the time with one whack i tried a 6 pond mull and my stomach was in pain for a week. i went to the doctors because i thought a got a hernia but I'm OK now. but never a 6 pond mull again

Then you'd better pony up for a good hydraulic splitter, because you aren't going to be splitting much more than kindling otherwise. Either you are doing something very wrong, or you are WAAAY out of shape!

Jason, I'm FIFTY and I split with an 8 pound maul and a monster maul. MOSTLY the monster, as that puny 8 pounder is just too light, now that I'm used to the monster. :D

Also an occasional session with wedges and an 8 pound sledge, for those bigger rounds. (24-36"). I cheat, though. I "split" the top into pie sections with my chainsaw, cutting about 4" deep. Makes life a lot easier.

BTW, nobody's going to mistake me for a linebacker. A beanpole, maybe, but not a linebacker. I'm 6' and 174, fully clothed and with boots on.

Old Tom Hall has a customer (whom I've met) who splits all his wood by hand. He looks to me to be about 5' 10", maybe 5' 9", and 175 -180. VERY fit.

He's 65 or so. I hope to be like him when I grow up. :D

So get with it, kid! :laugh:

EDIT: You might want to look at one of these.

Last edited:
Hey You Young F___ts !

BlueRidgeMark said:
you are WAAAY out of shape!

Jason, I'm FIFTY and I split with an 8 pound maul and a monster maul MOSTLY the monster, as that puny 8 pounder is just too light, now that I'm used to the monster. :D

Also an occasional session with wedges and an 8 pound sledge, for those bigger rounds. (24-36"). I cheat, though. I "split" the top into pie sections with my chainsaw, cutting about 4" deep. Makes life a lot easier.

BTW, nobody's going to mistake me for a linebacker. A beanpole, maybe, but not a linebacker. I'm 6' and 174, fully clothed and with boots on.

Old Tom Hall has a customer (whom I've met) who splits all his wood by hand. He looks to me to be about 5' 10", maybe 5' 9", and 175 -180. VERY fit.

Then don't grow up. Had plenty of that before the big R.:biggrinbounce2:

BlueRidgeMark said:
Then you'd better pony up for a good hydraulic splitter, because you aren't going to be splitting much more than kindling otherwise. Either you are doing something very wrong, or you are WAAAY out of shape!

Jason, I'm FIFTY and I split with an 8 pound maul and a monster maul. MOSTLY the monster, as that puny 8 pounder is just too light, now that I'm used to the monster. :D

oh it's not that i am in bad shape it was the mull i was trying to split 19 inch logs that where 17 inches thick. with a short handled 6 ponder. i did pick up a 8 pounder a Lowe's and what a difference 2 extra ponds can make. 1 whack with most where as the short handled 6 ponder took 4 hell of a good whacks
but i am getting a gas wood splitter.

thanks
how much wood can a wood splitter split if a wood splitter could split wood?
Jason

Last edited:
I was split pieces of walnut 26 to 28 inches in diameter with a 6 pound maul, those pieces were around 20 to 22 inches long. Its all about the swing and how you split the wood. Im 25 years old, 5' 9" 125 pounds, and I can split wood for hours straight. Its all I had at the time, so you work with what you have. If its an easier wood to split, Ill split it by hand. If its elm or something thats horrible i'll break out the splitter. I can split wood quicker by hand than with my splitter. Just lay a piece down and walk around it in a circle, one whack at a time. Once you get the hang of it, a good whack and thats all it takes.

BlueRidgeMark said:

I'm 71, 5'11' 245 and look like death warmed over on two artificial hips. Split almosst all of mine by hand with 8lb maul and 10 lb sledge/wedges. Have a gas hydraulic but only run the tough stuff (knots/crotches) through it. If it weren't for that excercise I would probably be 320 lbs and dead of a heart attack by now.

Harry K

turnkey4099 said:
I'm 71, 5'11' 245 and look like death warmed over on two artificial hips. Split almosst all of mine by hand with 8lb maul and 10 lb sledge/wedges. Have a gas hydraulic but only run the tough stuff (knots/crotches) through it. If it weren't for that excercise I would probably be 320 lbs and dead of a heart attack by now.

Harry K

Good for you, Harry! :cheers:

Yeah, I'd like to have a power splitter for the crotches, too, and I've got a lot of those.

Back