Electronic "Check-Ups" or not?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Red Oaks 4 me

Fun with flying wood chips
Reaction score
I have a Husky 562 with auto-tune, and I have been told by a friend, who has a 550 that a local Husky dealer will hook-up these saws to his computer and check them out to see if any modifications are needed. My 562 runs great, but I did burn-up a Stihl 362 about a year ago, due to some electronic module that went bad. I am fairly good at adjusting the old-style carburetors, but wanted to see if anyone here periodically puts their saw on a computer as a preventative maintenance check-up?

I would, if they didn't charge a dang hours labor to do it! Ive got a 562 myself right now that needs reprogramming Im afraid. Both crank bearings went out and evidently it was trying to adjust for the massive air leak and now that Ive rebuilt it it wont run worth a crap. It tries, then bogs out, let it idle 30 seconds or so and it will run again then bog. Ive double and triple checked everything and its all good so Im going to keep messing with it this way and see if it will eventually re-learn. If not, I will have to bite the bullet and pay to have it updated I guess.

Son of a b.. gun

The dumbing-down of the people marches on.

The next generation will have no idea how to do anything unless it is controlled by a computer.

We’re already there.
:wtf: Im pretty sure the OP and especially me, were simply asking a question to those with more experience than us with this AT stuff about whether its needed or if the computer will learn on its own? I know it will adjust the fuel mixture automatically due to fuel, temp, humidity, load, etc.... so it SEEMS to me that it SHOULD correct itself eventually. Maybe Im wrong though, wouldn't be the first time and probably wont be the last!

The local shop used to be a Husky dealer but when autotuned came out they switched to selling Dolmar/Makita. They wanted to tune a saw themselves. They decided that if you need a computer to fix a saw they didn't want to fix the saw.

:wtf: Im pretty sure the OP and especially me, were simply asking a question to those with more experience than us with this AT stuff about whether its needed or if the computer will learn on its own? I know it will adjust the fuel mixture automatically due to fuel, temp, humidity, load, etc.... so it SEEMS to me that it SHOULD correct itself eventually. Maybe Im wrong though, wouldn't be the first time and probably wont be the last!
Thanks! You provided a good comment that I can "ditto". :laugh:

Son of a b.. gun

The next generation will have no idea how to do anything unless it is controlled by a computer.

We’re already there.
Well, I'm "old school" and don't mind admitting it. That's why I am asking for opinions.

The local shop used to be a Husky dealer but when autotuned came out they switched to selling Dolmar/Makita. They wanted to tune a saw themselves. They decided that if you need a computer to fix a saw they didn't want to fix the saw.
I'd rather be able to adjust the carburetor myself, but I got a hell of a deal on the saw, and I want to make sure it lasts a while.

Son of a b.. gun

We’re already there.
I agree with you, as these young folks can't tie their shoes without a smartphone in their hands. That's why I don't have a smartphone.

Does the saw run correctly? If so then it needs nothing... auto tune saws are not new. Been out for years.

Does the saw run correctly? If so then it needs nothing... auto tune saws are not new. Been out for years.
When you are wearing hearing protection, you can't always tell when a saw is over-revving. At least I can't, but I have a 60% hearing loss WITHOUT plugs or muffs. With your 'philosophy", a good-running saw needs nothing. Ever heard of a saw that is running correctly, and then it just "blows up?" It happens. Do you ever perform oil changes or preventative maintenance to your vehicle? Nothing mechanical will malfunction on a shelf or in a shed.

Son of a b.. gun

We’re already there.
The only "dumb" post I've seen in this thread is yours.....:numberone:

Latest posts

Back