Emerald Ash Borer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingBeee

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Emerald Ash Borer hit us so bad here in the NORTH during Spring.

Any tips on how to make use of wood from ash trees infested with these insects?

Get infected trees down before they are a hazard to fell, and/or are unsound for lumber

Solid wood makes nice lumber. It rots easy so must be milled/covered ASAP. Timbers, boards, flooring, baseball bats/tool handles............

It is also great firewood, easy to split, good BTUs.

Before you get to doing anything with that wood, check with your local forestry or environmental agencies to see if quarantines have been set in place. Where I am you can't transport any part of the tree anywhere outside the quarantine area without taking certain precautions, getting inspection certificates, obtaining permits etc.

Before you get to doing anything with that wood, check with your local forestry or environmental agencies to see if quarantines have been set in place. Where I am you can't transport any part of the tree anywhere outside the quarantine area without taking certain precautions, getting inspection certificates, obtaining permits etc.

Great tip! I don't have so much information about this. Helped a lot!

Get infected trees down before they are a hazard to fell, and/or are unsound for lumber

Solid wood makes nice lumber. It rots easy so must be milled/covered ASAP. Timbers, boards, flooring, baseball bats/tool handles............

It is also great firewood, easy to split, good BTUs.

Thank you for the input!

Back