&^%$#@! Employees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok, ok I might not have read all the threads up to yours. I saw that statement and wrote.

I do have illiterate men on my crews, it is a challenge sometimes but the value each one of them brings to my company outwieghs the negs.

They have been with me so long they know how I sell work and what is expected. I simply go over with them each morning the job in detail and I have never had a problem.

Look at the Jacques Demers story:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2212397

I would encourage illiterate employees to get some instruction and support-not being able to read through no real fault of one's own is a real injustice, especially here in North America. My paternal Grandfather could not read very well due to dyslexia (sp?) and I also suspect at least two of my uncles could not read either-they grew up on farms before 1950 and not being able to read was no big deal. They did learn to work HARD though. Iron men.

jonseredbred said:
I do have illiterate men on my crews, it is a challenge sometimes but the value each one of them brings to my company outwieghs the negs.

They have been with me so long they know how I sell work and what is expected.

They sound like some hardworking, loyal, reliable guys.

If they are inclined, start teaching them as much as you can, during drive time, or for an hour or two one evening a week. Or maybe even bring in a tutor for the group once a week.

I cant see a reason why they wouldnt want to learn to read and write, and if you facilitate that, they'll be even more loyal. And more valuable to you too......

Eighty percent of high school graduates in America only read and write in an illeterate to semi-literate fashion. And they have about zero math skills. They can not read a ruler, do fractions or perform any math functions in their head.

buff said:
Eighty percent of high school graduates in America only read and write in an illeterate to semi-literate fashion. And they have about zero math skills. They can not read a ruler, do fractions or perform any math functions in their head.

IF that's true, then 80% of high school graduates in America shouldn't have graduated! Everything you listed should be accomplished by about grade 5!

Blame the education system?

Education is big business/big government to the nth degree. I think a lot of parents are wisening up-look at the popularity of home schooling these days.
Back to the topic-do not think I would knowingly hire someone who could not read, it would severely limit their employability at some future point.

buff said:
Reference please. Oh, and for future reference, "illeterate" is spelled with two i's.

I am a GenXer and I worry about my peers

Yeah, I didn't finish readin all 13 pages before I posted this so if someone else raised the same flag so be it. I come form Todd county, MN. About as poor as it gets. I went to High School and Graduated near the top. I had a hard working pair of parents.
First tax paying job I ever took was de-tassling corn when I was 11. I had to move about 50 miles away. The work was only for a month. I paid my grandparents 10 dollors a week rent. Worked from 0600 until dark. Got paid $5.00 an hour. I didn't care at the end of a the month I had about $1200 in my pocket.

After that I learned there are easier ways to make money. Like Bailing hay and picking rocks for $6 an hour. I worked almost every sun shining day of my life during the summer break of school and then worked nights during the school year. After a few years of being a reliable worker I eventually got my hourly pay moved up to about $10 and hour. Every farm I worked on, lawn I mowed, or factory I stepped into after a few years of hard work I carried with me a real simple set of rules. "Establish yourself as an asset, Learn everything about the job that you can, Work so hard that your boss couldn't fire you if he/she wanted to." That's it. You want to get a raise, you earn it. When I graduated High School my old man said he would put me thru college if I wanted to. I got there and was so bored that after a month I took a job in a factory in town working from 5 pm until 1030 pm. After a year or so of that mess I quit college and joined the Army. So what? After a year in the Army I had paid back my old man the $10,000 that he had fronted for me to go to college. If you ever take anything for free it will cost more than you had originally recieved.

I know my peers that stayed in college all to well. Their whiny stories are all the same. "I have four year degree, I stuggled through some hard times, the price of gas is to high, I couldn't get the car I want because I didn't have enough credit, and why should I take a job that only pays $30 dollars an hour."

I am 26 years old and as much as my generation is capable of I don't think that there is a whole lot of intent on tapping into that potential. Too many parents that foot the bill for college is probably the start of the problem. My old man would have paid if I let him but that's not the way I am. Unfortunately many of my peers will take anything for free that anyone will give them and that is a huge mistake.

If I ever get married and have children the only promises I will make to them is 18 years worth of hot food, a bed, and a warm house. Other than that nobody owes their children any more. If you raised them right they will set out on their own without your help in fact they ought to refuse it when you offer.

By the way anybody looking for a hard worker for summer 2007?

Cool!

Was gonna say,tree company in Whittier Alaska is like an Ice factory on the north slope.

Cool!

Was gonna say,tree company in Whittier Alaska is like an Ice factory on the north slope.

It takes around 15 working people to pay for one retired persons social security benefits, in 10 years it will be around 25 to one. I know that this does not matter to alot of folks, but for people on the up and up it makes more sense to educate people with an interest in our industry. Take the time to go your local educators and offer your help. Don't scream at someone for not knowing what they are doing, show them how you want it done. The younger generations have been raised by parents who want their kids to have everything that they themselves could not. It can be a hard transition from having everything handed to you, to working for it, or everyone plays, to survival of the fittest. In our industry going to college shows a commitment to something, it needs to be explained to people that 80,000 a year is possible, but it all starts with work ethics and a spring rake.

ktsand13 said:
If I ever get married and have children the only promises I will make to them is 18 years worth of hot food, a bed, and a warm house. Other than that nobody owes their children any more. If you raised them right they will set out on their own without your help in fact they ought to refuse it when you offer.

I would want your children to get more from you than a bed, hot food and a warm place to sleep. This is what we give to prison inmates. I would hope that you owed your children a lifetime of love and care. I would also hope you would take time to teach them how to become productive, contributing memebers of society. And, I would hope that you educated them to the full measure of your ability so that they could make the best living possible.

Buff, I hope your better half raises or raised your kids. You have a warped mind and hope you are taking your meds. If your kids grow up like the pompous a$$ you are they will be in for a rough life. If they were smart they already realize what an a$$ you are and have taken a different route in their lives. Guys like you should be taken behing the woodshed and beat!

ktsand13 said:
QUOTE]

Your opinion and I respect it.

However, don't turn 65 and wonder why all your kids generally ignore you, and your grandkids NEVER visit. Life is a two way street. At 80 you may well need some assistance, monetary or otherwise to cope with daily living. Seen it amongst members of my own extended family.

TackleTree said:
Buff, I hope your better half raises or raised your kids. You have a warped mind and hope you are taking your meds. If your kids grow up like the pompous a$$ you are they will be in for a rough life. If they were smart they already realize what an a$$ you are and have taken a different route in their lives. Guys like you should be taken behing the woodshed and beat!

Please explain your hissy fit that proposes beating???? Like that ever solved many problems.

Back