Epicormic sprouts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenzen

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My father has a sugar maple in his yard that is about 12" DBH and 16' tall, very little die back, no noted insects, and good canopy. However, the tree develops water sprouts and epicormic branching on the lower half of the tree, they are cut off each year. We have been having a drought for last couple of years, other sugar maples planted do not have these issues. So any ideas? I thought about deep watering the tree next week,

Oh I agree.
, just cannot find the issue. But will be looking at it again next Thursday for the 2nd time

Often epicormics are a result of stress. The oddity of the diameter:height ratio may also indicate stress. My first guess is something is stressing the tree.

I agree, but unable to find it. It is in open, does not have a large crown, very little dieback. So will be seeing it again this coming Thursday,

If you are limbing up over half of the height you are begging the tree to sprout new branches to fill in the open area. I have seen my sugar maple and norway maple both respond to keep their roots in the shade. If the branches don't hit me in the face when mowing, they will by next year no matter how high I trim.

Interesting, the maple does not have a very wide crown at all like the 2 others planted at the same time and I cut the sprouting from the base of the tree up the trunk about 3 feet.

Back