Epoxy rope end

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hosocat

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just wondering. I've read various methods on the forum for whipping the end of climbing ropes to keep them from fraying. Has anyone ever used five minute Epoxy? You could get the kind in the double syringe. Lay out a little bit and mix it together. Dip an inch or so of rope end in it. Then as epoxy firms up you could roll the end on a hard surface to get a nice taper to facilitate threading into devices.

Are the ropes you use capable of being cut sealed with a hot knife,? if yes the end can be sealed with the use of a soldering iron if no hot knife available the "Leccy "heated shrink wrap sleeve also work OK the ones with adhesive coated interior are best

Plastic dip for tool handles works well too.

Also if you take a heat gun or torch and heat up the end of the rope for about the last 1/2" to 1", then quickly grab the end with an old rag and put the rope through while squeezing it you will get a nice end too. Takes a little practice, but works well.

Maybe I'm too impatient to let epoxy dry, but I don't see why it is a better option. I just melt the end with a lighter, whip it with old small diameter throw line run the lighter gently over that again. Usually put heat shrink tubing over that.

Maybe I'm too impatient to let epoxy dry, but I don't see why it is a better option. I just melt the end with a lighter, whip it with old small diameter throw line run the lighter gently over that again. Usually put heat shrink tubing over that.
The rapid epoxy hardens quickly 2or so mins

Back