equipment ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stoneland

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was wondering what type of equipment people were using ropes,carabiners, ascenders,descenders and lowering devices?

I'm new to the climbing besides for what i learned in high school. I feel comfortable in the tree but was wondering if there are any tools that could make my life easier in the air? I currently have a 12' steal core flip line/lanyard,a pair of petzl ascenders, Buckingham spikes,and a weaver Dee saddle. should I purchase pulleys and a whoopie sling?

Any info would be appreciated.

Are you looking to work for someone or to do work on your own and what climbing system are you using? are you using single rope or double rope?

Good to see you have a steelcore and spurs. As far as lowering wood, I have beefed with people here to no end about doing just that, I use gravity. Some people here have experience and skill at safely lowering wood, they have done it many times and been trained. Before you get blocks or slings you should ask these people about how to safely use them for lowering wood. Nice to have a little handsaw with you, a decent pole pruner can sometimes be your best friend. Good luck to you.

clearance said:
Good to see you have a steelcore and spurs. As far as lowering wood, I have beefed with people here to no end about doing just that, I use gravity. Some people here have experience and skill at safely lowering wood, they have done it many times and been trained. Before you get blocks or slings you should ask these people about how to safely use them for lowering wood. Nice to have a little handsaw with you, a decent pole pruner can sometimes be your best friend. Good luck to you.

Great points Clearance, epecially about training. The best tool you can own is knowledge. What kind of work do you plan to do?

I'm currently using the double rope system. I work with my partner and we have a smallish landscape business. We subbed out alot of tree work last year. I'm not going to do that this year I'm slowly learning that not every thing i learned in school i correct.

what is gravity lowering?

Do you guys suggest any videos i should buy or books to read? I have the climbers companion.

Aside from climbing, start with learning proper pruning techniques, plant ID, and diease/pest ID and control. Start with pruning ornamentals and smaller trees and learn the differences between pruning young trees and mature trees. Climbing is sometimes the easier part of the job. Caring for trees properly is something that will keep you customers calling. Sub-contract a climber if you need to until you are confident in you climbing skills.

Get Art and Science of Practical Rigging and On Rope. The first is selfexplanatory, the second is a book on the rope discipline.

Stick around here and other sites and you can learn alot!

One book that almost everyone recommends is the tree climbers companion. It has been a great book for me. I have learned much from it. Plus you might want to check out the ISA for other very good informative books.

Back