Ethanol free fuel, or not quite?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slackerjpt

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi all,
I recently found Ethanol free fuel, 91 octane in upstate NY. It was a Valero station in oxford. I bought quite a few gallons thinking that I made a score.
I went by my stihl dealer and was talking to the service guys and told them of my find. They told me that there was no way I had ethanol free gas and asked me to bring it in to be tested. They used a beaker fuel tester, and within a minute, they said there was ethanol in the gas. They said it was around 5%.

This certainly pissed me off, and tried to call Valero, with no success as of yet.

So, the question is: Can you really find ethanol free gas, or is my dealer full of s$%t?

E-Free gas is out there, but in some states, it's very hard to find, if at all. Don't know if you can trust the Stihl dealer or not.

There are fed. laws governing fuels and if a gas station is selling it falsely, it can end up being serious stuff. You definitely need to make Valero aware of what the dealer said.

Hi all,
I recently found Ethanol free fuel, 91 octane in upstate NY. It was a Valero station in oxford. I bought quite a few gallons thinking that I made a score.
I went by my stihl dealer and was talking to the service guys and told them of my find. They told me that there was no way I had ethanol free gas and asked me to bring it in to be tested. They used a beaker fuel tester, and within a minute, they said there was ethanol in the gas. They said it was around 5%.

This certainly pissed me off, and tried to call Valero, with no success as of yet.

So, the question is: Can you really find ethanol free gas, or is my dealer full of s$%t?

Test it yourself. You can do it simply by using a plastic water bottle...this is the idea:

Poor man's test:

I coulda started a "fresh thread". (No pun intended... Wait, yes, pun intended!) But, others wisdom is here too.
;)

Federal fuel law says that highway taxed fuel can have up to 5% ethanol without posting, 6 - 14% has to be posted for content. The only place to get true ethanol free fuel is to go to the oil/fuel distributors. It's not hyway taxed and it is true ethanol free fuel, sold out of the pump.

Federal fuel law says that highway taxed fuel can have up to 5% ethanol without posting, 6 - 14% has to be posted for content. The only place to get true ethanol free fuel is to go to the oil/fuel distributors. It's not hyway taxed and it is true ethanol free fuel, sold out of the pump.

I wasn't aware of that. Good thing to know. If it can have up to 5% ethanol, I might as well run the up to 10% stuff. :nofunny:

Can you post a link that states that? I did a search and found nothing about it.

I don't believe it's a loop hole for false advertisement. I'm assuming if it doesn't indicate what's in it then expect there to be at least 5% alcohol. If they advertise non ethanol clear fuel then they should be selling just that.

100% ain't 100%.
In milk, chocolate, Apple juice, and gasoline.
Welcome to the "brave new world".
N

I don't believe it's a loop hole for false advertisement. I'm assuming if it doesn't indicate what's in it then expect there to be at least 5% alcohol. If they advertise non ethanol clear fuel then they should be selling just that.

We have one gas station that opened up not quite a year ago. They do have non-ethanol gas. (blue handle pump).

Only problem is, it's about 15 miles away from where I live, and a lot out of the way as well. PITA to go there! I've fueled up a few times when on my BMW m/c.

If I'm going to pay a lot more for the E-Free stuff, I want to be sure it's 100% E-Free.

I wasn't aware of that. Good thing to know. If it can have up to 5% ethanol, I might as well run the up to 10% stuff. :nofunny:

Can you post a link that states that? I did a search and found nothing about it.
I'll look for it. But they protect themselves by having a sticker on the pumps that says may contain up to 10% ethanol. Could be anywhere up to 10%.

Damn straight.

Not only do we have to worry about laced fuel, there are stations out there who will short you. The one I buy my clear from will short you a tenth gallon.
That's why I buy my E-free 93 from a distributor, no regular pump traffic, no road tax.

Back