Ethanol free fuel, or not quite?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, but why? Something magical about non-ETOH fuel in ported chainsaws vs non-ported chainsaws??
Ethanol and mix oil no likey each other so it goes for all saws ! Nothing “magical” at all - when you have the knowledge and put in the time to get more performance the last thing you want to do is use poor fuel and mix oil - kind of a no-brainer ... oh and just because your saw can “run” 10% ethanol how do YOU know what your actually getting out of the pump ? Have seen independent testing of labeled 10% ethanol pumps where fuel was 20% ... believe what thou will ... been there done that !

Ethanol and mix oil no likey each other so it goes for all saws ! Nothing “magical” at all - when you have the knowledge and put in the time to get more performance the last thing you want to do is use poor fuel and mix oil - kind of a no-brainer ... oh and just because your saw can “run” 10% ethanol how do YOU know what your actually getting out of the pump ? Have seen independent testing of labeled 10% ethanol pumps where fuel was 20% ... believe what thou will ... been there done that !

So, what difference does it make if I run 10% or 20% ETOH in a modified saw vs a non-modified saw? What am I going to harm??

So, what difference does it make if I run 10% or 20% ETOH in a modified saw vs a non-modified saw? What am I going to harm??
You WILL destroy the engine at 20% +ethanol over time just as surely as running straight - gas ! I’m very particular about the fuel/mix oil / ratio and have enjoyed the heck out of the ported saws I run !

I buy what is supposed to be ethanol-free gas, but who knows what's actually in the ground tanks?

I buy what is supposed to be ethanol-free gas, but who knows what's actually in the ground tanks?
That’s the 64000 question ... it seems that the ethanol content is supposed to be what the pump says it is but unless YOU test it how do know for sure ? Is it worth destroying a $1000 Saw on a “well it said 10% on the pump” Nah , got too much time and / $ wrapped up in em to go down that road ! Your mileage may vary!

That’s the 64000 question ... it seems that the ethanol content is supposed to be what the pump says it is but unless YOU test it how do know for sure ? Is it worth destroying a $1000 Saw on a “well it said 10% on the pump” Nah , got too much time and / $ wrapped up in em to go down that road ! Your mileage may vary!
Yep. I use mostly pre-mix now.

You WILL destroy the engine at 20% +ethanol over time just as surely as running straight - gas ! I’m very particular about the fuel/mix oil / ratio and have enjoyed the heck out of the ported saws I run !

You seem confident but provide no evidence? I have been running saws on 10% ETOH for years here, as there is not alternative. Give us some data as to the destruction on ported or no ported saws run on ETOH.

You seem confident but provide no evidence? I have been running saws on 10% ETOH for years here, as there is not alternative. Give us some data as to the destruction on ported or no ported saws run on ETOH.
Yah , run whatever fuel/mix you desire and I shall do the same

Given a choice in the matter, I'll run E-Free gas. But......I didn't have that choice for many, many years. Never damaged or destroyed a single piece of O P E using the ethanol-laced stuff.

I've been using canned fuel for the last couple of years. And yes, I know it's expensive. Mine cost me very little to almost nothing. When it runs out, I'll be back to mixing my own.

We do have a gas station that now sells the E-Free stuff. It was a long time coming.

This clown argues with everyone and knows everything, don’t even go down this road.

This clown argues with everyone and knows everything, don’t even go down this road.
No ... I posted links bozo - if you can’t be bothered / too lazy to read 6 pages of information than you have no business making snide remarks about people who “know everything “ and “argue with everyone “ perhaps YOU should go back from whence you came !

When they claim Ethanol Free, should be free, no 1 or 5%.
Regardless in what state you are.
I buy ethanol free 1 mile from my place. And yes is free of ethanol. The guys from the station tested what I buy from them.
Then I ask them, how should I know that the instrument they use work correctly.
Take me on the back where they keep some gardening tool and take same fuel out from the mover and was 10.2% ethanol in the fuel....That's all the proof I need.

No ... I posted links bozo - if you can’t be bothered / too lazy to read 6 pages of information than you have no business making snide remarks about people who “know everything “ and “argue with everyone “ perhaps YOU should go back from whence you came !
Hey bozo was I talking to you or about you? I take it your called a clown regularity because u assumed I was talking about you?

Hey bozo was I talking to you or about you? I take it your called a clown regularity because u assumed I was talking about you?
No , your attempts are weak bozo - everyone sees right thru ya

I would question any one that says gasoline is sold with 20% alcohol unless labeled as such. Gasoline with 10% alcohol does not cause any problem to any saw period. Generally a very high performance saw can run a mix of alcohol and gasoline. Alcohol has about a 110 octane rating which does allow for a cheaper gasoline to perform like a higher grade gasoline. This is one reason why alcohol is added to fuel. One thing for saw use is the mixture will keep the internals clean and dry which is much better than straight gasoline. Alcohol burns about 40% cooler than gasoline so that is a good thing for hot weather use. Alcohol blended fuels for most part can not be stored. My rating would be about two weeks tops for stored fuels. I rarely have any fuel that sits for a week any way. If some one runs alcohol blended fuels they will have to be careful to keep a watch on the mixture control because day to day use can change requirements. Thanks

Latest posts

Back