Euc csanker-- Chrysoporthe austroafricana?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...We have hundreds of people who deal with this everyday, including myself (I deal with horticultural tree and vine crops)...

I'm sorry, I was under the impression that the specific fungus could not be cultured because there was no one experienced with identifying new fungi. Something about the "last guy" moving to NZ (?) Once again I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make it sound like you folks didn't know what you were doing.

Since p. cinnamomi is soil borne have you tried soil injecting selected trees with the predator fungi Trichoderma harzianum. I have had pretty good success using it against p. cinnamomi in the urban setting. Suppresing soil activity before it becomes bleeding canker seems like a pretty good idea.

I'm sorry, I was under the impression that the specific fungus could not be cultured because there was no one experienced with identifying new fungi. Something about the "last guy" moving to NZ (?) Once again I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make it sound like you folks didn't know what you were doing.

UF we did connect with two, one private one govt. I expect there are more in MCW's territory.

Since p. cinnamomi is soil borne have you tried soil injecting selected trees with the predator fungi Trichoderma harzianum. I have had pretty good success using it against p. cinnamomi in the urban setting. Suppresing soil activity before it becomes bleeding canker seems like a pretty good idea.

Sounds like a very good idea! Is that product called Shield something? one researcher says you need to culture/select specific strains to make it all happen right . but given that he is the main provider of this service, a pinch of salt seems in order.

thanks for sharing, you all. No yellowing in foliage to this foreign eye, viewing in late winter. Old cankers revitalized by recent floods is all we have come yup with for sure, but there still seems to be more to it. Plots are set up for observation.

Hey thats no worries mate. I sometimes get the impression myself that we have nobody who knows what they're doing here either :D I have had MASSIVE issues getting any response from some of our well known plant pathology gurus. Luckily we have a local retired ex Senior Plant Pathologist in our area who is extremely helpful and knowledgable in the world of horticultural tree and vine crops. The unfortunate part is that because he is now retired the local agricultural research lab didn't replace him and sold off all of the testing and pathology equipment - even if he has an informed "hunch" on a pathogen we have no way of proving it without sending samples elsewhere for very expensive, independant testing.
I mainly deal with trees on commercial orchards so have a whole swag of goodies to throw at it. Most of my clients are multi million dollar setups too so as a rule are willing to spend that extra money which somebody with one or two trees simply would struggle to justify or afford. Also in the world of commercial horticulture a farmer/grower is just as likely to put a bulldozer through infected or diseased trees in a heartbeat if they become economically unviable, unlike somebody with a beautiful backyard tree with sentimental value.
The Trichoderma product I've dealt with before is called "Trichoshield" (label attached). If you talk to the distributor it will cure everything from the common cold to AIDS. About the only success I've heard with it is from Table Grape growers on open weeping rots like Sour Rot, Alternaria Rot, Bitter Rot, Botrytis etc etc. This has been hit and miss though but the thought process is that the fungi colonises the rotten berries and consumes the sugars rapidly, limiting the ability for the bad rots to spread into other healthy berries. The weeping rot becomes therefore dry and doesn't spread - by the way this use was not the intended purpose of the product and because it is not a registered chemical it is not bound by any off label useage laws :)
However, quite often what the grower/farmer "thinks" is the Trichoshield working is actually Vinegar Fly larvae eating the berries out and leaving only the dry skins. If you tell the distributor this he doesn't want to listen which is typical as it doesn't suit his marketing agenda. I've run grower trials side by side with Trichoshield and untreated controls and the rot levels and severity were the same.

Last season we had record rainfalls here and I saw things in the world of plant pathogens that I am unlikely to see again - I hope! Things like Bacterial Canker in stonefruit and Bacterial Spot in certain susceptible almond pollinators went absolutely nuts. I saw certain rot species in winegrapes that are only ever found in heavily irrigated and high nitrogen loaded table grapes.

View attachment 199053

Last edited:
Last season we had record rainfalls here and I saw things in the world of plant pathogens that I am unlikely to see again - I hope! Things like Bacterial Canker in stonefruit and Bacterial Spot in certain susceptible almond pollinators went absolutely nuts. I saw certain rot species in winegrapes that are only ever found in heavily irrigated and high nitrogen loaded table grapes.

View attachment 199053

Sadly you got that right. After years of drought stress trees get a drenching to only suffer further issues that their reduce vigour fails to protect.
This imported on cutting by a foolish grower has wiped out many commercial Chestnut farms and nearby innocent oak trees.
Chestnut blight strikes Victoria | Australian Food News

Chestnut blight, an exotic plant disease affecting chestnut and oak trees, has struck the Ovens Valley in North-Eastern Victoria, where 80% of Australia’s chestnuts are grown.

The disease was first detected in September 2010, and the Chestnut blight National Management Group (NMG) met on 25 November 2010 to discuss the outbreak and agree to a national plan to eradicate the disease.

The disease is caused by a bark-inhabiting fungus (Cryphonectria parasitica), which mostly affects the trunk and branches of its host, eventually causing it to die.

Since September, over 145,000 chestnut trees and a selection of oaks have been surveyed in Victoria. There are currently nine infected properties, all in the Ovens Valley. A Quarantine Zone has been proclaimed for north-east Victoria and movement restrictions for chestnut and oak plant material and equipment used to farm chestnuts are in place.

The Victorian Department of Primary Industries (VIC DPI) is in the process of removing and burning infected and at-risk chestnut trees.

Sadly you got that right. After years of drought stress trees get a drenching to only suffer further issues that their reduce vigour fails to protect.
This imported on cutting by a foolish grower has wiped out many commercial Chestnut farms and nearby innocent oak trees.
Chestnut blight strikes Victoria | Australian Food News

Chestnut blight, an exotic plant disease affecting chestnut and oak trees, has struck the Ovens Valley in North-Eastern Victoria, where 80% of Australia’s chestnuts are grown.

The disease was first detected in September 2010, and the Chestnut blight National Management Group (NMG) met on 25 November 2010 to discuss the outbreak and agree to a national plan to eradicate the disease.

The disease is caused by a bark-inhabiting fungus (Cryphonectria parasitica), which mostly affects the trunk and branches of its host, eventually causing it to die.

Since September, over 145,000 chestnut trees and a selection of oaks have been surveyed in Victoria. There are currently nine infected properties, all in the Ovens Valley. A Quarantine Zone has been proclaimed for north-east Victoria and movement restrictions for chestnut and oak plant material and equipment used to farm chestnuts are in place.

The Victorian Department of Primary Industries (VIC DPI) is in the process of removing and burning infected and at-risk chestnut trees.

Yeah nasty mate. I've been reading about it as a subscriber to Australian Nutgrower.

The product I use is located here: BioWorks Inc. | RootShield WP (sorry I have no clue how to imbed pdf's!) I did'nt see on your label the colony forming unit's in the package. i use it mixed with these 2 products.

PHC Compete Plus | Plant Health Care

Agriculture: Fertilizers and Organic Solutions

This combination has been very effective in reversing the effects P. Cinnamoni up to moderate infections.

Good stuff and good info. In our area we get very little success from a lot of soil based microbes simply because we have nothing but gutless sands that quite often reach over 60°C in Summer. Our standard organic matter content is around 0.5-0.8% which is shocking. About the best I've heard is 2.8% but that particular soil was also wrecked through over application of animal based manure. The P and K was through the roof - good organic matter but unproductive. As you know most soil microbes need good organic carbon etc to survive properly for any length of time. Have you ever tried products such as Metalaxyl or Phosphonic Acid to control P. Cinnamoni? We have had good success here against various Phytopthera root rot fungi but once again the earlier the better.

Last edited:
Back