European brand chain saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huskybill

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Are there any saws from Europe that we don’t talk about that are quality saws besides the German dolmar, Swedish Husqvarna, partner, jonsered, the Belgium poulan, China farmtec.. What other countries manufacture chain saws?

If all those affordable chain saws are from China on eBay wow how many brands.

There is one called stiga or sticka or something like that. No idea about quality, just stumbled across it one day.

i think about Topso, italian design

The brand started when some engineers who where not pleased anymore working for Oleo Mac left the company and started there own saws.

If you have the change to buy one don't hesitate, these saws perform very well.

Good morning, you're right Andyshine77 , Efco is a brand of Emak group, good products made here in Italy. Emak has two brands :
Oleo - Mac and Efco. Once they had another brand Blitz , the products are identical, only different color. If i'm not wrong they sold with the Olympic brand in the USA.

Another very good European brand is the German SOLO.

I'm in New Zealand, and am a big fan of Oleo Mac, made by Efco. I'm normally a Stihl guy, but in my opinion the Oleo Mac are every bit as good as Stihl and Husky, although they seem slightly heavier. My main Oleo Mac now I'm using is the GS 650, a 65cc saw, pro build, damned good saw which runs very strong for 65cc. I use it usually with a 20 inch bar and chain (3/8 by 0.058) and in softer wood like Pine it has plenty of grunt, is responsive, easy starting as well. I did find it needed 20 or so tanks through it before it started producing great power, and a muffler mod and tune after this transformed the saw.
For a bigger saw I use the MS661, with 42 inch down to 25 inch bars. The Oleo Mac is a perfect in between saw, and personally I can't stand anything under 50cc because they seem too gutless, even for limbing.
Just my 2c worth, but here the GS 650 came in at least $600 cheaper than the equivalent Stihl, and has proven to be 100% reliable, and strong for its size. As mentioned it seems a little heavy, but its all metal pro quality. The anti vibe isn't up to Stihl quality though.
Personally I'm at the age where I'm over paying too much for Stihl and Husqvarna, and find the Oleo Mac does the same job for less money.
We also have the Efco brand here too, exactly the same saw in different colours.
Not sure on prices in the States or Canada, but I paid $2400 for the 661, $395 for an Ms180 two years ago (which is such a horrible saw, gave it away) and the GS650 cost me $990 18 months ago. I now just use $140 big box store throwway saws for limbing, much better than the small Stihls.

Solo (by ALKO). Is a German brand that makes chainsaw for a log time.
A while ago that where planning to design their saw together with dolmar/makita. Wich didn't work out.
So they have a line of older types which are almost identical.
Just good old dependable saws.
Efco like mentioned above is also very dependable. But relatively heavy or at least underpowered for their weight.
Funny to read they are cheaper somewhere else.
In Germany they are priced like Stihls, just as dependable, more old fasioned, worse power to weight.
The only reason to buy a Solo or Efco is because you like the dealer.
For bang for the buck, you get a Dolkita or a husky at an internet discount.

Stiga I believe, is expensive chinaware.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G955F met Tapatalk

Are there any saws from Europe that we don’t talk about that are quality saws besides the German dolmar, Swedish Husqvarna, partner, jonsered, the Belgium poulan, China farmtec. What other countries manufacture chain saws?

If all those affordable chain saws are from China on eBay wow how many brands.
I too am not exactly sure what you mean.

"the Belgium poulan"? AFAIK, they began, and remain, in Louisiana.
"What other countries manufacture chain saws?" Nearly every developed county has dabbled in chainsaw manufacture. Japan have been big for decades. Joncutter saws made by the multi-named Farmertec/Holzfforma/Huztl/Westmachinery (have I missed any?) are copies of Komatsu products.

There are a lot of Chinese brands on ebay. Many are the same as another with different labels or differently shaped covers. Despite this obvious similarity in saw models, the quality of the tooling and the skill of the assemblers, varies from plant to plant, just as it does in western countries.
For example, in Australia, just on eBay, there are at least 5 "flavours" of Chinese copies of the Zenoah 3800 available for delivery from local warehouses. The Joncutter 3800 is available direct from Huztl. As well, you can buy either a Ryobi or Homelite branded version of the same saw from the ubiquitous Bunnings hardware chain. Of the few examples I've seen, these latter 2 seem to be better put together than the eBay brands.

Stiga is a Swedish brand that used to make pretty good saws, snow blowers, lawn mowers etc. Not pro stuff by any means but better than the cheapest china saws. Nowadays I think Stiga is on the lower end of the quality ladder, maybe on par with AL-KO and such. Stiga saws are built in Italy, seems like there's quite a few brands coming from Italy! I wonder if they are all from the same manufacturer?
They still have a line of very nice ride on lawn mowers (Stiga Park Pro), that probably would benefit if they were called something else. Now they are being sold side by side with the cheap ones.

I was looking at a big cc poulan chain saw many decades ago it was made in Belgium.

Back