Evolution of forestry in Sweden (100 years or so..)

• Thread starter Deleted member 110241
  • Start date
Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
one thing I'll say about Europe is they have much more innovation in construction and heavy equipment in general. way more specialized equipment

How old are the stands in the video? Even the old crosscut saw films are small trees?

Surprised that the stands are logged when trees as small as they are, unless stuff grows really slow there. In DF PNW stands, those would be only 30 years old or so.

How old are the stands in the video? Even the old crosscut saw films are small trees?

Surprised that the stands are logged when trees as small as they are, unless stuff grows really slow there. In DF PNW stands, those would be only 30 years old or so.

Our old growth trees were cut 3-400 years ago, not that they were much bigger, the steel industry needed massive amounts of coal so pretty much everything has been cut at least once near the industries. The further upnorth the smaller trees, in my area they reach about 26-30m (close to 100ft?) when 100 years old. DBH about 40cm.
Our tallest trees are Norway spruce that are about 40m tall, 45m max. Here's some footage of a stand that's 88 years old:

Oh, I forgot to add that most of the first documentary probably showed wood that was going to the paper/pulp industries, they want smaller trees only.

Our old growth trees were cut 3-400 years ago, not that they were much bigger, the steel industry needed massive amounts of coal so pretty much everything has been cut at least once near the industries. The further upnorth the smaller trees, in my area they reach about 26-30m (close to 100ft?) when 100 years old. DBH about 40cm.
Our tallest trees are Norway spruce that are about 40m tall, 45m max. Here's some footage of a stand that's 88 years old:

I think what ArtB is saying our thinning wood is the size of the clear cut wood in Europe which is true. We run your clear cut harvesters in our thinnings such as the 1270’s, 1470’s, Ergo’s, Bears, 931’s, and 951’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think what ArtB is saying our thinning wood is the size of the clear cut wood in Europe which is true. We run your clear cut harvesters in our thinnings such as the 1270’s, 1470’s, Ergo’s, Bears, 931’s, and 951’s.

Oh I see. That's probably true, isn't the PNW the best place for conifers in the world? I wonder what the site index is for the huge stands over there, our charts top out at 36m for pine and spruce :sucks:

Oh I see. That's probably true, isn't the PNW the best place for conifers in the world? I wonder what the site index is for the huge stands over there, our charts top out at 36m for pine and spruce :sucks:

Yes it is, I’d have to look when I get home just an idea
4f56d9ef2b996d73734e2f41b9d5f02b.jpg

This is a 25 year old stand parts of it we were getting 37’ plus a 17’ stick for saw logs plus a 21’ piece of pulp.

That's awesome! First thinning here is at 25-30 years and the stand is around 50 feet tall at that time. Probably half of what you've got, if that.

FWIW and to contribute to international knowledge base.

Here are 2 photos of the fastest growing Douglas Fir I have personally seen and that I know the history of.
This tree in our yard. It was a seedling when we built the house in 1972 -- it is right at the edge of the septic field so gets a lot of natural nutrients which likely helps fast growth.
The horizontal 'yardstick' near the base20200104_102359.jpg is 910 mm long, 0.91 metes, so DBH about 1 meter. Height is about 125 feet or 38 meters high. Quite a bit more lower branches than what would be found in a regrowth of a clearcut here.
Our property was first logged in 1905, not replanted, just natural regrowth. There are a few over 55 meters tall DFir here now, about 115 years old. Have a stump that was likely a 4 meter dia tree from virgin forest. Numerous stumps that are still 2 meters diameter on our 1.5 hectares. Did cut one stump off, inner 1.5 meter diameter with no rot was over 450 years old,

20200104_102452.jpg

I came to think about the size of the trees in Oregon vs Sweden. What happens if we compare the same latitude?
I live at the same latitude as Anchorage AK, how big do the trees grow up there? What species dominate, spruce?

Back