Exposed tattoos and employment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm still awaiting an answer to the questions posed to Oak. Why does he have the tats he claims to have? Is he a member of a group affiliated with those tats? Does he believe in what the tats advertise in todays current world? These are all questions a company owner would ask of a potential employee if the tats were part of the decision to employ this person. That's what the thread started as, no?
I use a contract climber sometimes for the real hard removals and my guy had to back out of a job ( had to go to court because of his divorce ) but he did set me up with his friend who Also did contract climbing. He said this guy was good. I am ok you say he is good that all i need. My new contract climber shows up on time ready to work. Go over the game plan and come to find out this guy is the best Dam climber i have ever seen. Takes a dangers job and makes it looks easy. Looks out for the guys on the ground, makes sure no property damage will occur and cuts my estimated time of one full hard day almost in half. Respectful and well spoken. And you know what--- He was a black man with a spiderweb tat on his neck, dreads down to his belt line and was 6ft 5 and about 290. Did i care what he looked like, S*** No, all i cared about was that he could do the job he was hired for. His ink and his looks did not affect how he does his job. That is what this thread is about, is it not ? Exposed tattoos and employment. If you hire some one during the winter do you have them strip to check them over ? What i believe in and what you believe in might be 2 different things but if i am looking for a employee that's what i am looking for, not a male model.

I've used a dread locked and inked up climber before-I fired him because he was at times unreliable,aggressive and also had a daily drug habit. His appearance played no role in the way things unfolded. The people here have asked whether you support the lifestyle that those specific tatts that you posted represent. This question remains unanswered.

This question remains unanswered.

Hahaha... You guys are relentless.. Where's the emoticon for beating a dead horse..

If the guy gives the answer y'all are dying to hear it's just going to lead to a bombardment of other stupid questions or comments. Why would he want to answer..

Yall can act like you really want him to answer & say it's something from the past, but we all know they are nothing but fully loaded questions. To be frank, its none of anyone business... just saying.

Not for nothing but, if this guy was sitting next to you at a bar or wherever, would y'all even be asking? And when ignored, keep nosing around about it? There's that saying.. "Mess with the bull, you get the horns". Haaa.. I love that phrase!

I use a contract climber sometimes for the real hard removals and my guy had to back out of a job ( had to go to court because of his divorce ) but he did set me up with his friend who Also did contract climbing. He said this guy was good. I am ok you say he is good that all i need. My new contract climber shows up on time ready to work. Go over the game plan and come to find out this guy is the best Dam climber i have ever seen. Takes a dangers job and makes it looks easy. Looks out for the guys on the ground, makes sure no property damage will occur and cuts my estimated time of one full hard day almost in half. Respectful and well spoken. And you know what--- He was a black man with a spiderweb tat on his neck, dreads down to his belt line and was 6ft 5 and about 290. Did i care what he looked like, S*** No, all i cared about was that he could do the job he was hired for. His ink and his looks did not affect how he does his job. That is what this thread is about, is it not ? Exposed tattoos and employment. If you hire some one during the winter do you have them strip to check them over ? What i believe in and what you believe in might be 2 different things but if i am looking for a employee that's what i am looking for, not a male model.

Wasn't a black man, it was Predator!!!

The only tattoos that bother me are the ones that bother most people, the deliberately offensive ones. If you get a tattoo of a dismembered baby on your forehead then expect judgement. Would I employ someone with tattoos? sure, depending on tattoo, the person wearing it, the job they're expected to be doing and the environment they're doing it in. Most of my mates have tattoos, the fishermen, army boys, football fanatics etc I've known have had tattoos. I'm thinking of getting the wedding band one, might save a finger one day, also wouldn't mind a remembrance poppy but that's another story

ja3e6uja.jpg

This is going no where but down. Easy with what you say. Racism is ignorant, no matter what direction it is pointed. To celebrate any who promote it, is a clear example of a bigot. Disagreeing with ones ideology is one thing, to promote, praise or perpetrate hate because the color of ones skin is another.........its disgusting. Again........go easy with what you say.

Last edited:
I've used a dread locked and inked up climber before-I fired him because he was at times unreliable,aggressive and also had a daily drug habit. His appearance played no role in the way things unfolded. The people here have asked whether you support the lifestyle that those specific tatts that you posted represent. This question remains unanswered.
+1
Still unanswered but add one question to the mix, why are they unanswered?

+1
Still unanswered but add one question to the mix, why are they unanswered?
Why do you care so much? Don't you have anything else in life to worry about or are you just that bored? He was asked to stop by a mod. Just leave it be.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

This thread is useless and needs to go away, I don't see any informative info or discussion here. Why are we still talking about stupid ****?

When a young Marine, me and a bunch of buddy's made the pilgrimage to Tiger Jimmy's in San Diego. Right after we got back from Somalia. We all got motto tats. My one buddy got the traditional D.I. Devil Dog tat with Sgt Chevrons. When we all got back to the barracks, started crackin tops and checking them out. He was pretty pissed to learn that he was a Petty Officer 1st Class instead of a Sgt! They put the strips upside down, LOL!

Well guys, I am not in tree service and I have quite a few tattoos. I have several of them visible.

Visible tattoos do not bother me in most situations. The racist, gang tattoos do.
I myself would not hire someone with nazi symbols or gang related tattoos that are visible. A few reasons for my thinking on this are customers. Lets say you have a old Jewish lady as a customer and saw a swastika on one of your men. He might be the best worker ever but has now made the old lady upset. She will put the word out and that is bad business. Another thing, add a "La Nuestra Familia" tattood guy on the same crew. Might be a great worker but now him and the nazi are not going to get along and cause you a bunch of problems which will move throughout your whole crew and eventually end up a problem at a work site.

I think its a choice of the boss. Del_ might not hire me because I have a visible Celtic Cross on my forearm that says "Father, Son, Holy Ghost" (hope you don't mind me using you as my example Del_) All up to him, It might make him uncomfortable and he might think it would make a future customer uncomfortable. Again "His Choice" Just like it was up to me to get that tattoo on my forearm knowing a potential employer might not like it.

I thought about my tattoos long before I got them and knew there could be repercussions for them. When someone gets a tattoo they have to think about it for life and realize that its their choice and it can screw thing up in employment situations.

Now on a personal note I will say something about tattoos that can be covered but have a racist or gang affiliated meaning.
I would not hire them at all because of the meaning and hatred behind them. I don't like them and don't like what they stand for and won't condone it. "My choice"!!! I have hired several people with tattoos and looked at the tattoos before I hired them. When I got hired my boss asked me if I had any and asked to look at them. I was young and dumb at the time and wondered why. I was told that he had a family to support and if I had offensive tattoos he could lose business and it would effect him being able to support his family. That was 21 years ago. If I get any new tattoos (which I have) I always tell him what I am thinking of and ask him if he minds. My choice to get it, his choice to say no, my choice to keep my job.

"Not everybody with a tattoo is in jail, But everybody in jail has a tattoo"!!!!!!!!! The scenes we used to only see on the cover of National Geographic Magazine from some far distant land, now we see at McDonald's every morning. Can we all say "DECLINE"!

Back