EXTREME precision falling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
its a 2006 altec LR-V, 60 E70, rear mounted on a 2006 international 7 speed with 26K miles..

Last Saturday I did a quick priuning job.. Lady had gotten a price of $1,200 for one tree.. I pruned that tree and 5 others in just over an hour.. all from one set up.. we all agreeed that the 1,200 was gouging, and still that was cranking out some quick work. Husband came out after and said this was the only time he had not been either homicidal or suicidal after getting tree work done..

I wouldn't go getting too carried away with yourself there murph, I just admitted that there is some talent involved, that's all... I also heard ya bought a 75 footer, that's a pretty big move...

Just telling it like it is..
Eveyone in this business thinks they know so much... when they see something unfamiliar... what do they do? do they ask or try to learn something... No they dismiss it as reckless or lucky etc.. If its outside your experience, it must be crazy right?

Hitting that 4' round was just basic falling technique.. that you can understand.. whatever else you were criticizing in the past, you didn't understand..

Eveyone in this business thinks they know so much... when they see something unfamiliar... what do they do? do they ask or try to learn something... No they dismiss it as reckless or lucky etc.. If its outside your experience, it must be crazy right?

Hitting that 4' round was just basic falling technique.. that you can understand.. whatever else you were criticizing in the past, you didn't understand..

Oh Jesus... let me get back to you, you're actually starting to bother me again now.

I've been wanting to get a 30,000 lb dyno for some time, to measure rigging and pulling forces.. If you know how to use a plunge cut to set up the hinge, then it doesn't matter what pulling power is used.. it takes what it takes to move the tree... "it is what it is" as they say... I won't even engage in a debate with anyone that criticizes the use of pulling with equipment in ALL scenarios..

Murph,
No criticism, just the opposite. I feel you would be the perfect subject for this since you do pull everything from little ones, big ones, back leaners, side leaners and so and so. I think you could gather a lot of useful data in a very short time that would be very valuable to many of us. Especially if you took good notes.

As far as debates go.....well I'm just not interested in pissing matches, I'd much prefer to share experiences and information since it is a much better use of our time and generates a positive and useful outcome for all.
Scrat

That wasn't the driveway.. it was a road, and there was a concrete curb under those leaves.. if I didn't hit the round, I was buying a new curb... I did it to open the mind of another highly experienced arb on his first week with my crew.. I could have easily had the tree shortened up or brought in plenty of padding logs to protect the curb, from another job less than half mile away... BUT I wanted to show this man that I had BOTH the skill to hit the mark, and the confidence to do so when there is risk. It worked!

I would have never dropped a tree so hard onto a driveway... roads can take a beating.. driveways are trouble like that!

In other words you were showing off? :biggrin:

That is true. What is also true that there are not to many guys able to deliver the appropriate pull. Hell, you just went up there and cut it, the magic is in the pull. No, not many guys have the confidence to do that everyday with you being the thing that gets ####ed up if they #### up. I mean, its not an app you get from yer phone. yeah boy, no room for error on that one.

Don't you think it's about time to change up that avatar murph... maybe you could put that thing in pigtails or something.. break it up a little.. just a suggestion.

In other words you were showing off? :biggrin:

Not exactly... showing off, BUT not JUST showing off.. I wanted to make a point to him, without offending him.... You know you have to be careful.. and tiptoe around a tree man's ego some.. I thought it was better to let the saw make the point, as my mouth tends to get get me in trouble! :)

Don't you think it's about time to change up that avatar murph... maybe you could put that thing in pigtails or something.. break it up a little.. just a suggestion.

You know I was just thinking the same thing.. pic is old, and it was older when it was taken.. and just about as old as you talking about it.. HAHA ... hope you're smilin'

Not exactly... showing off, BUT not JUST showing off.. I wanted to make a point to him, without offending him.... You know you have to be careful.. and tiptoe around a tree man's ego some.. I thought it was better to let the saw make the point, as my mouth tends to get get me in trouble! :)

Did you just mention something about ego? Yeah, well, I guess since we are back at square one, at the root, at the core then there ain't to much else to be said is there? Heave Ho, let er run, get er done, last one standing is a rotten egg.:cheers:

miscommunication_can_be_killer.mov - YouTube

I ain't trying to shut you down Murph but take it easy Mad Dog. When it comes down to it it don't really matter whose fault it is, only. who is still alive.

Looks like the customer got a free stump removal with that deal... and still The Murph flaps on! I mean if this guy smashed the house and had to repair the roof, he'd probably be like "well, there's a lesson here, blah, blah, and we were gonna clean the gutters for them anyway". Amazing.

But seriously, I have grown to enjoy story time with Daniel. Lol.

I thought I was gonna see some extreme tree felling??? WTF

I have newbees practice on stuff like that, that first drop was kids stuff.............when I see a couple of 1/2 million dollar homes on each side of the tree then I would call it extreme...........Thats just normal everyday stuff right there!

LXT...........

I wouldn't of even tried to drop that tree between the drive way , call me scared but the thought of cracking that foundation just makes me twitch a bit , I would have no problem splitting that stump though , with a Cat on it pulling it makes ya look like a champ ..

miscommunication_can_be_killer.mov - YouTube

I ain't trying to shut you down Murph but take it easy Mad Dog. When it comes down to it it don't really matter whose fault it is, only who is still alive.

What cracks me up is after its on the ground & the damage done.....He has to think about what he was doing during the action & if he said stop or pull? or was it going left or right? then during the narrative he tells us what each move meant!!! C`mon...! Not only that but it was clear that who/what was pulling wasnt gonna stop.......SO, Keep cutting!! this is a saw operators mistake here! from what I have seen in the past couple videos & one called "tripping a widowmaker" (wrong title for circumstance) there will be an accident on that crew sooner or later of catastrophic proportions!

Could you imagine if the non target tree was an exotic species?............start limbing em out Murph, you got a 75ft bucket to do the big stuff, take em down to a safe height before dropping.............there is a difference between confidence & stupidity.....what ive viewed throughout does`nt show confidence!

Whats even sadder is there are newbs on here viewing this stuff.............To you folks, you would be better off not implementing these un orthodox (nice word for unsafe) practices into your work regiment, this is how people & property get destroyed!!

Be Safe!!!

LXT.................

Hmmm.... wondering how we should critique that mis-comminication video? credit given for posting it, but in my opinion ya tried to put a spin on it? No better than a AA video, I dont think its that people dont understand or its even outside their experience.......most of the techniques Ive seen employed by you are No No`s.............making notches at chest level, bore cutting the same, counter balanced rigging to adjacent tree by powerlines, dropping trees on "ANY" form of road or driveway, etc....

You post these Vids as instructional????? Much like you busting on competitors doing wrong tree care practices.....Watching someone perform tree work in a reckless (Im confident...NOT!!) manner is just as bad...........alot of what I see is just plain out right un-professional & unsafe...............I would have fired you...! weather it be Line clearance or residential? you are gonna hurt someone or something!

Im sure the reply will be an excuse & just like AA..........you can get away with things for so long & then you gotta pay...!

LXT.............

Last edited:
No ####, I tried to give The Mullethead a break back there, but F that.. taking chances (while filming for your ego) with people's property, instead of just roping a few logs off, or turning that simple cut and pitch maple into a full blown drama fest IS reckless and unprofessional, no doubt!

Whatever though..

Extreme precision falling is exercised every day in the woods, where and how the tree falls is paramount. If you screw up, the tree is busted up/or difficult for the machines to move. Even today's average timber requires a high skill level. You spent all day figuring out things in inches.
Think about falling trees with trunks the size of a room, a football field in height and fragile as your Aunt's fancy china, several times a day. There were 1000s of men who felled the big timber as a matter of course.

Redwood1-1.jpg

I think Murph has Attention Deficit Disorder, he needs the ohhs and ahhs.

Back