EXTREME precision falling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
when I see a couple of 1/2 million dollar homes on each side of the tree then I would call it extreme...........Thats just normal everyday stuff

we rarely, or hardly ever, well pretty much never drop large trunks in somebody's yard - no reason for it.. But to do it in between a couple of 1/2 million dollar houses, yeah that would be extreme.
Or insane..:dizzy:

we rarely, or hardly ever, well pretty much never drop large trunks in somebody's yard - no reason for it.. But to do it in between a couple of 1/2 million dollar houses, yeah that would be extreme.
Or insane..:dizzy:

I don't think it is insane. If I can I will drop everything if the situation allows. Yesterday I dropped a dead rotton oak on a $1.9mil estate in Black Point on Geneva Lake it was a beautiful drop between a tamarack and a honey of a black walnut.

I don't think it is insane. If I can I will drop everything if the situation allows. Yesterday I dropped a dead rotton oak on a $1.9mil estate in Black Point on Geneva Lake it was a beautiful drop between a tamarack and a honey of a black walnut.

I usually work in some pretty tight yards where it isn't an option. But if the situation allows or is needed then sure. Wouldn't drop one across someones lawn though and certainly wouldn't drop one between a couple half million dollar houses if it could be roped down.

I don't think it is insane. If I can I will drop everything if the situation allows. Yesterday I dropped a dead rotten oak on a $1.9mil estate in Black Point on Geneva Lake it was a beautiful drop between a tamarack and a honey of a black walnut.

And I know you could, Raj, and would. skill.

But rope it down? when it can be dropped? :biggrin: get a few decades under the belt, and MOVE ON.......to the next tree, and god help us if we can rig a fun drop. I will spend hours setting up a crazy rigging job with Dan when it is convenient, to enjoy our skill level and we can develop rigging scenarios useful in critical pick situations during storm events. tell me after all my hurricanes and years of big crane experience the lack of validity to this level of experimentation, and listen to me ignore you in the little world you live in.

I've worked with hundreds of tree guys over the years, and when it comes to actually working with real treeguys as opposed to listening to the whiny little biatch voices griping on the net, I go with onsite judgement. type all you want, SHOW ME. I show enough. typing is easy. criticize a man who is light years ahead because you don't understand? or recognize how his videos actually help the hundreds of guys who watch and derive useful info, without critical feedback, but only thanks? as opposed to belittling a different way and his method of delivery? :msp_tongue:

chicken#### behavior where I come from.:angry2:
slam me, I got thick skin AND mad skill.:hmm3grin2orange:

Extreme precision falling is exercised every day in the woods, where and how the tree falls is paramount. If you screw up, the tree is busted up/or difficult for the machines to move. Even today's average timber requires a high skill level. You spent all day figuring out things in inches.
Think about falling trees with trunks the size of a room, a football field in height and fragile as your Aunt's fancy china, several times a day. There were 1000s of men who felled the big timber as a matter of course.

Redwood1-1.jpg

I think Murph has Attention Deficit Disorder, he needs the ohhs and ahhs.

I'm glad you said something Randy. I saw this thread a couple of days ago and thought, ahh I'll leave it alone. Tree guys are funny. No offense Flushcut!

I'm glad you said something Randy. I saw this thread a couple of days ago and thought, ahh I'll leave it alone. Tree guys are funny. No offense Flushcut!

None taken my good man. Yes, tree guys are funny. I have seen some tree guys spend hours trying to figure out how to cut a tree down in tiny pieces were it could be taken in really big pieces or just flopped. Some times bigger is faster and safer.
Some of the things that Murpy does I do not agree with as for as rigging lines are concerned but hey it is his show not mine and he gets it done. I think people should stop being so judge mental and just look at it for what it is a tree on the ground and nobody got hurt. Sounds like a good day to me.
I will pose this question to the fallers in the logging forum if they read this: When you lay a tree out in between two other trees is that skill or luck? I am going to go with skill.

I think I will just cut more and type less.

Well in a face to face argument he would have just berated your knees , because he is a bit vertically challenged ..... If you watch on of Murphs videos and you suspect theres somehow a small child frolicking about , you may have just been slayed :msp_scared:

Well in a face to face argument he would have just berated your knees , because he is a bit vertically challenged ..... If you watch on of Murphs videos and you suspect theres somehow a small child frolicking about , you may have just been slayed :msp_scared:

I am not really sure what that means but if you say so.

But rope it down? when it can be dropped? :biggrin: get a few decades under the belt, and MOVE ON.......to the next tree, and god help us if we can rig a fun drop. I will spend hours setting up a crazy rigging job with Dan when it is convenient, to enjoy our skill level and we can develop rigging scenarios useful in critical pick situations during storm events. tell me after all my hurricanes and years of big crane experience the lack of validity to this level of experimentation, and listen to me ignore you in the little world you live in.

I've worked with hundreds of tree guys over the years, and when it comes to actually working with real treeguys as opposed to listening to the whiny little biatch voices griping on the net, I go with onsite judgement. type all you want, SHOW ME. I show enough. typing is easy. criticize a man who is light years ahead because you don't understand? or recognize how his videos actually help the hundreds of guys who watch and derive useful info, without critical feedback, but only thanks? as opposed to belittling a different way and his method of delivery? :msp_tongue:

Well............. Ive worked with 100`s of tree guys too, out of state many times (more than I wanted to be) Led the troops on storm patrol in the ice blasting out east back in 98, done things that made me re-think this job........& so much more...But to film it, narrate it, post it & think im all that....................thats arrogant chicken #### behavior where I come from! especially pertaining to the work ive seen done!!

you wanna say we dont understand? Horse ####!!! SHOW ME!!! here is what cracks me up... you boys have enough time to take out a whole film crew to a job site to boost your self endulged ego`s on basic tree work with un-necessary rigging for show off purposes..................How splendid, Now all the 1st year apprentices & newbs can say how good ya are!

I have posted pics to show the functionality of a machine..............NOT TO SHOW OFF!!! it wouldnt be so bad if when "extreme" & "precision" were used it was for something of merit & then the narrative BS that goes along with it all...............! God save the queen..Man!!! funny when something does go wrong it turns into a purposeful lesson & a spin put on it, no need to waste film uhh? wonder how many serious screw ups were filmed & not posted?

I was told by some old timers that the guys who know their stuff dont need to brag or gloat & the ones who do brag & gloat, only wish they knew as much as the guy that doesnt brag or gloat!!!

truth be known....anyone with 10yrs or more in this trade has pretty much been there & done that..........I dont need some lesson from a worse than AA type from the internet thinking that everyone else is his student.........maybe you like that? your problem.....as for me & my team.............we`ll keep plugging away, making money, supporting our trade & families "in our little world" cause apparently we just dont have the understanding or experience that you & your Philly bun boy do......?

"Light Years ahead"............gotta love these type of remarks, Ahead of what? Ill leave it at this Slayer.....I respect ya & believe ya are a "real treeman" but dont get it twisted..........you`re not all that!!!! & there are many "real Treemen" out there!!

Nuff said...........maybe these guys will star in AA`s tree wars....season 1, LMFAO

LXT.....................

Reg Coates has some of the best vids on the net, not alot of talking just music and plain stellar tree work. I personally have learned alot from watching his vids.

I have dropped hundreds of trees we would bet on where the exact reach would be put stakes in with money on them and the winner took all and usually it would hit the stake dead on not always sometimes 2-3 feet off..But I dont see what is so great about it.Common everyday stuff.

I enjoyed watching Murph's videos -- you have obviously taken the care to understand the trees you are working with, and how your trimming is going to affect that tree longterm. I admire the fact that you are taking the time to share the information with people who might not know --homeowners and newbie green treeguys. And I just enjoy watching tree videos haha.

That having been said, I am impressed with the videos, but not the work being done in them, and that's not meant to be offensive, its just that I think the videos might be useful to noobs and homeowners; however, for experienced and educated arborists: for entertainment only, possibly seeing someone else's perspective.

Years ago, I switched to a new company, hired as the climber/bucket operator. I wanted to impress the ground crew - two seasoned guys, one a ground guy, one a 60 year old climber/bucket operator who no longer desired to climb -- both put in decades in tree service. I was out there dumping stuff as fast as I could, thinking I was billy big nuts bc it got on the ground in record time. The old timer pulled me to the side, and told me, "kid, I'm not the slightest bit impressed with how fast you can put that stuff on the ground, ANYBODY can make a mess -- and now you've got one helluva mess to clean up." hahahaha

Different situations call for different technique -- but when you're dropping big stuff, you're making a mess. Having to cut tensioned-brush from under a log -- that's dangerous. Yea, we're capable of it, and we do it everyday. IMO the reasons to drop big stuff are if you arent worried about ground damage, if you are hauling it all with equipment (and not worried about ground damage), or if its safer. Each situation is different.

So many times, yea we can flop the tree, but fighting the twisted pile of brush later made the job as a whole go slower. Not to mention repairing the damaged turf, and the limbs stabbed into the ground several feet. The whole job might have been faster to climb up there, limb it out, letting the guys drag it away as it comes down. Cleaner, safer jobsite for the duration of the job. No piles of crap to trip over while youre toting around those big saws.

The city sewer/service/street re-construction contracts we get, we have easements to the entire front yards of properties. All the front trees come out, and its all skidded to a whole-tree chipper. We take all the front yard trees in entire neighborhoods with very limited time. In that situation, our goal is dropping that big stuff.

In either situation, I'm not impressed with how fast you can get stuff on the ground, I'm impressed with how smoothly the entire project goes from start to finish.

I have dropped hundreds of trees we would bet on where the exact reach would be put stakes in with money on them and the winner took all and usually it would hit the stake dead on not always sometimes 2-3 feet off..But I dont see what is so great about it.Common everyday stuff.

I agree -- our game was we used to make the notch, then the everybody puts their cash down, cutter first. When the log was on the ground, the closest without touching the log took the winnings.

Different situations call for different technique -- but when you're dropping big stuff, you're making a mess. Having to cut tensioned-brush from under a log -- that's dangerous. Yea, we're capable of it, and we do it everyday. IMO the reasons to drop big stuff are if you arent worried about ground damage, if you are hauling it all with equipment (and not worried about ground damage), or if its safer. Each situation is different.

I could not agree more! I do not do alot of knotch and drop unless I am cutting fire wood in the woods. Most of the stuff I get is tight locations or over something. Darn near any body who has a good amount of skill can drop a spar or pull a spar where it needs to land but I like no damage, I don't like filling holes in customers yards it just looks bad. I often joke with my wife about easy trees and how I never seem to get called for those it always seems to be a great big sob over the deck, septic,roof with a skylight,or the neighbors roof.

What flavored Kool Aid are you drinking?

None taken my good man. Yes, tree guys are funny. I have seen some tree guys spend hours trying to figure out how to cut a tree down in tiny pieces were it could be taken in really big pieces or just flopped. Some times bigger is faster and safer.
Some of the things that Murpy does I do not agree with as for as rigging lines are concerned but hey it is his show not mine and he gets it done. I think people should stop being so judge mental and just look at it for what it is a tree on the ground and nobody got hurt. Sounds like a good day to me.
I will pose this question to the fallers in the logging forum if they read this: When you lay a tree out in between two other trees is that skill or luck? I am going to go with skill.

Sometimes its luck! and sometimes its ####!

Little of both, usually. But luck won't save you if you don't have the skills.

PA160092.jpg

PA160076.jpg

I used gunning sticks on this one. The landowners are very fussy about their leave trees and get upset if there's collateral damage.

Latest posts

Back