EXTREME precision falling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
its not my skills that are the question. I just don't take un-needed risk I'm too old for that :)

Its not un-needed risk.. it is simply getting the tree on the ground, as quickly and easily as possible.. If you think its risky to drop a tree near a house, you don't trust your falling skills.. WHY NOT???? Most arbs around here don't because they don't really understand the principles of tree falling.. It is amazing to me that multi-million dollar companies, around here, do not teach good falling technique. Contract and competition climbers etc.. I've seen their cuts, logs/stumps and they leave bypass dutchmans all the time.. Men that can climb their azzes off, and don't have a clue about falling trees.. I get the impression that on the west coast there is a much better general understanding of tree falling in the arb industry. SO when you say, "I only fall trees directly away from houses".. Its clear that you don't trust your falling skills.. What good are they if you don't trust them??? Like I said, anyone can crush beer cans in the woods... If you don't have the confidence to make the cut when there is property at risk, you're not even in the same league..

Here's another video to check out..

Step Cut 2 - YouTube

Particularly the drops at 2:10, 3:25, and 3:50..

You all can keep talking trash.. I keep putting the wood on the ground...

Its not un-needed risk.. it is simply getting the tree on the ground, as quickly and easily as possible.. If you think its risky to drop a tree near a house, you don't trust your falling skills.. WHY NOT???? Most arbs around here don't because they don't really understand the principles of tree falling.. It is amazing to me that multi-million dollar companies, around here, do not teach good falling technique. Contract and competition climbers etc.. I've seen their cuts, logs/stumps and they leave bypass dutchmans all the time.. Men that can climb their azzes off, and don't have a clue about falling trees.. I get the impression that on the west coast there is a much better general understanding of tree falling in the arb industry. SO when you say, "I only fall trees directly away from houses".. Its clear that you don't trust your falling skills.. What good are they if you don't trust them??? Like I said, anyone can crush beer cans in the woods... If you don't have the confidence to make the cut when there is property at risk, you're not even in the same league..

Step Cut 2 - YouTube

The Great Daniel has spoken!

A true test of falling ability would be to do it without a rope/cable pulling the tree.

I respectfully disagree with that perspective... I have very little experience with falling exclusively with wedges.. a hole in my game, BUT I do not need the skill for 99.99% of my work.. And I can fall trees with a rope that NO ONE would even consider trying with wedges.. When the skid loader is on the end of a rope, it bumps up the possibilities to another level. Check out these falls:

backleaners - YouTube

Last edited:
If given the chance I will flop every tree possible. I dropped five oaks in a postage stamp today and I was out of there by noon, big, easy money day with no clean up aside from chipping the limbs 6" and smaller. I say flop them all if they can be.
Is it really necessary to nit pick everything on this site? I mean for christ sake so what everybody has a different style. Play the odds or not "to each their own" if something goes bad then it is on them and their insurance not yours.

Step Cut 2 - YouTube

Look you still are not getting it, I fell trees all the time, been doing so since 1983, my skill level is as high or higher than most, what your thinking and what I am saying are two different deals. The tree you fell beside house shows your willingness to take chances that I feel is UN-warranted. I used to fell them similar but I make sure by adding the extra precaution that you don't implore. You can say all you want, I would have either blocked it down and just as fast also ready to load and saving chain buy not dulling cutting on ground or, if I was to fell it, I would of built barrier of brush and dropped it away not parallel with home. Now If tree was between homes etc. I would fell it if it made more sense too and I have but the difference between me and you is I don't when it is obviously unnecessary and possibly even counter productive. The truth is; I could fire wood that down and be loaded at same time and have by tossing into truck and so its done when I get down. That little tree would of only took me fifteen minutes to firewood out of my bucket.

Last edited:

Step Cut 2 - YouTube

I just saw the league comment omg lol go plug in Tom Petty burn you a number and try to impress someone who ain't been in every conceivable predicament then get back to me son:)

It

Step Cut 2 - YouTube...

Check out the tree at 3:12. Its a 60-70' tulip spar, maybe 8-10' from the house.. I'd pull my hair out if I saw someone firewooding that while 5 guys stood around on the ground watching.. each to his own and all.. no disrespect.. you're a hardworking tree man no doubt. Different styles for sure.. We are not set up for firewood.. drop the spar ASAP, cut to length, at least 8' when possible, and let the skid loader put it on the curb for pick up by the log loader.. Rake up and go.. rarely does anyone want the wood around here..

I just saw the league comment omg lol go plug in Tom Petty burn you a number and try to impress someone who ain't been in every conceivable predicament then get back to me son:)

I saw the "league" comment.. I took it as a compliment. :hmm3grin2orange: I've been in that "league". I outgrew it.

Just the way I see it. If you knew you knew how to drop trees, you would. If you had the necessary confidence, you wouldn't need to make up some story about how firewooding a tree is faster, safer and easier on the saws..

Big Oak Atterbury Dave 3.mov - YouTube

a 30 sec vid of a big oak spar dropped this afternoon.. treeslayer is running the commentary.. Very poor quality vid as he took it on his phone... you can see the power lines running parallel to the lay. I was actually going to drop it with another 15' of wood up top, but decided to take make the drop a little easier, and spent another 10 minutes roping out the top.

Just the way I see it. If you knew you knew how to drop trees, you would. If you had the necessary confidence, you wouldn't need to make up some story about how firewooding a tree is faster, safer and easier on the saws..

Omg are you that acorn headed, the tree I posted was way worse than anything you've posted and I do believe it came down just fine tyvm it must be in the air out there :)

Hey you got a steiner?

Last edited:
Bad bounces don't just happen.. they have causes that can most often be read by an experienced faller.. or is that feller??? LOL

Well on that I somewhat agree but the truly experienced know things can happen. Open face can help with the bounce and roll but hollow or fiber tears can cause weird ****. Its fine by me if you wish to cut them that way, just not on my watch and or insurance it will go away from house on my job.

Check out the tree at 3:12. Its a 60-70' tulip spar, maybe 8-10' from the house.. I'd pull my hair out if I saw someone firewooding that while 5 guys stood around on the ground watching.. each to his own and all.. no disrespect.. you're a hardworking tree man no doubt. Different styles for sure.. We are not set up for firewood.. drop the spar ASAP, cut to length, at least 8' when possible, and let the skid loader put it on the curb for pick up by the log loader.. Rake up and go.. rarely does anyone want the wood around here..

Ok murph I looked at it and I would of felled it too, probably more left than you and likely took out a twenty foot stick first but hey to each his own. One day if it goes wrong for ya I hope you will man up and tell the story.

Murph, has it ever occurred to you that what you are showing everyone & the way you come off in the explanation/narrative is what turns people off?

being serious now: you show videos of average work & in some cases slightly above novice ability, you think that the risks you take are a display of skills, mostly all the vids show something being dumped in one shot with clear collateral damages either happening or about to!!! Check out Mds`s pics of an oak, check out some of ropes other pics & even my pics with the towable buckets......all of these show skill sets (& in some cases admitted luck) but you think you are to good to admit anything other than you are skilled & know it all!!!.......... what you show we all would love to work with that kinda room, what I do I dont have time to practice jumping a tree over some hedges for ego sake...........Im usually to busy taking hang off the house, lines, garage or pool all the while avoiding the deck, landscape, omnistone drive, green house & a myriad of other obstacles which is the reason I was hired in the 1st place

I see your work sites & can only wish for that kinda easy stuff..........

Not bustin ya......but many of those trees have a ton of room & you think putting a spar in between a shrub & oak @ 45ft is a sign of talent..........that thought process could go either way & borders complacency! I just think your attitude at how you approach someones asking/critique shows you have a god complex, And for what is the question most vets are wanting answers cause aint nothing you are doing that is worthy of instructional sake unless the viewer is a noob!

I wish you health & the very best, stay safe!!

LXT.....................

Latest posts

Back