EXTREME precision falling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Murph, has it ever occurred to you that what you are showing everyone & the way you come off in the explanation/narrative is what turns people off?

being serious now: you show videos of average work & in some cases slightly above novice ability, you think that the risks you take are a display of skills, mostly all the vids show something being dumped in one shot with clear collateral damages either happening or about to!!! Check out Mds`s pics of an oak, check out some of ropes other pics & even my pics with the towable buckets......all of these show skill sets (& in some cases admitted luck) but you think you are to good to admit anything other than you are skilled & know it all!!!.......... what you show we all would love to work with that kinda room, what I do I dont have time to practice jumping a tree over some hedges for ego sake...........Im usually to busy taking hang off the house, lines, garage or pool all the while avoiding the deck, landscape, omnistone drive, green house & a myriad of other obstacles which is the reason I was hired in the 1st place

I see your work sites & can only wish for that kinda easy stuff..........

Not bustin ya......but many of those trees have a ton of room & you think putting a spar in between a shrub & oak @ 45ft is a sign of talent..........that thought process could go either way & borders complacency! I just think your attitude at how you approach someones asking/critique shows you have a god complex, And for what is the question most vets are wanting answers cause aint nothing you are doing that is worthy of instructional sake unless the viewer is a noob!

I wish you health & the very best, stay safe!!

LXT.....................

I completely agree with lxt's response in its entirety. When I first saw the title "Extreme Precision Felling" I was expecting something really spectacular. After watching the video, the title is laughable at best. Extreme Precision Felling? Compared to what? Your first summer doing tree work?

In my experience, its been the older, out-of-shape, lazier bucket queens that are placing emphasis on felling rather than limbing out a tree.

You fell a whole tree and you've got a giant mess to deal with. Limbs stabbed into the ground, damaged turf, compromising the crumb of the soil, etc. There's nothing safe about cutting wood that has that much tension from the weight of the rest of the tree on it. There's nothing easy about fighting with the twisted mess of brush from a felled tree and, unless you're cleaning up with a skidloader, (in which case, you had tons of room to drop the tree), the cleanup takes a great deal longer. But you didn't have to climb it -- so that makes it all worth it, right?

While I enjoy watching videos of treework, representing this as Extreme Precision is a joke to anyone but a 1st year tree worker -- maybe that's why treeslayer is so impressed with you lol.

We all have our own way of doing things though, so whatever. I enjoy climbing, and its working for me, and you're felling and that's working for you.

To a newbie, your information should be better than a lack of any instruction, but if he is your intended audience, you may want to take the time to explain the terms "compartmentalization" and what "destabilization" of a tree is. Otherwise, it just makes it seem like you are trying to use terms to fit into a higher skill level than the work that is presented in your videos.

That's not to say that you are not good at felling trees. To me, its just lazy, and shows a complete disregard for a customer's property. "We'll have our landscaper come fix all this turf damage for you." (Which is stupid, because that's going to increase the amount of time it takes to get paid, customers waiting to pay you till you finished the landscape repairs) Try explaining to your customer how its perfectly ok that you're putting his home at risk of having a tree fall on it because you'd rather fell it than climb it and rig it down safely.

If your competition caught on -- they'd be out badmouthing you (like you do to them). They could probably easily steal a great deal of work from you by offering your customers the premise that Murphy is out taking giant risks by felling trees. Would you rather have Murphy fell a tree by your home and risk something going wrong, or would you rather have me climb the tree and bring smaller peices down safely?

I hope that doesn't happen to you, because from most other considerations (aside from leaving stubs where its unnecessary) you do appear to be above the hack jobs out there -- safety gear, taking the time to plan and discuss the project, good equipment, etc.

I do admire the fact that you've taken a portion of time and initiative to do the one thing many many many other tree guys neglect to do though -- research. Not saying your research is all correct, but at least you are doing it to some extent.

I'm suprised by the fact that none of your videos show you with a cast on your arm, having broken it several times patting yourself on the back, but of course now you probably have treeslayer doing it for you. hehehehe

I will be honest with ya Murph to me it just looks like cowboy ####, I mean when the customer says that he needs to take his heart meds. because of something that is happening because of something I am doing, then its time for me to consider the stress that I may be putting on people , and honestly they don't want it , even if its cheaper I guarantee not too many people would allow someone else to gamble with there property .. And to have a beautiful bucket parked watching while your taking these unneeded risks doesn't that seem a bit silly , I dunno I would rather the customers I work for pay for the time to do it in a controlled atmosphere , no big drops , no big booms none of it , call me inexperienced or a hack whatever , I just would rather provide a stress free controlled atmosphere , maybe if you were making the money to spend the extra time there . I dunno maybe thats the league you should join and let all the big drops stay where they belong into the woods .. Just my opinion thats all...

Last edited:
Fair enough... each to their own.. I had other reasons as well.. customer later told me how impressed he was with the falling skills and that he would recommend me highly etc.. He had a tree that he tried to do himself years ago nearly hit the house and it scared him pretty good.. Watching that fall reminded him of that, he later told me.. who knows.. maybe this was a healing for him...

Dave was on that job, might have been his second or third day.... the loader op later told me that Dave looked at the scenario and remarked "he's crazy".. Op replied "he's got it" with the confidence to make Dave a believer..

OMG..............no matter who tries to give this guy a repreive, he just cant see the error of his ways!! always an excuse or that someone said "he`s crazy" or "how awesome" he his...........we have all had the same thing told to us & when I was much younger those compliments would get me pumped up & higher I would climb & farther out the limb I would go.......

Well, that stuff dont work on me no more!! It is to each their own.......but we all have something to learn along the way (well not you apparently)..........I just think & would make the comment: If you & your abilities are as good as you think they are? when are ya gonna do a seminar? I mean you`re so confident about your "tree skills"............hell man you need to teach internationally & give Arbormaster some competition!!!!

your customer was impressed? & will highly recommend you?............I hear AA gets the same feedback!!

whats funny is I remember you use to have a climber that did all your work for you & you would take the flack for it cause that guy did all the hard work & you would narrate while taking all the credit............I dont remember you taking all these chances then, Im thinking there was a falling out & now you gotta do the hard work without the skills/ ability, So.... you resort to these tactics shown on here now............what do you do when you dont have a football field to drop em in? seriously Murph?

LXT..............

OMG..............no matter who tries to give this guy a repreive, he just cant see the error of his ways!! always an excuse or that someone said "he`s crazy" or "how awesome" he his...........we have all had the same thing told to us & when I was much younger those compliments would get me pumped up & higher I would climb & farther out the limb I would go.......

Well, that stuff dont work on me no more!! It is to each their own.......but we all have something to learn along the way (well not you apparently)..........I just think & would make the comment: If you & your abilities are as good as you think they are? when are ya gonna do a seminar? I mean you`re so confident about your "tree skills"............hell man you need to teach internationally & give Arbormaster some competition!!!!

your customer was impressed? & will highly recommend you?............I hear AA gets the same feedback!!

whats funny is I remember you use to have a climber that did all your work for you & you would take the flack for it cause that guy did all the hard work & you would narrate while taking all the credit............I dont remember you taking all these chances then, Im thinking there was a falling out & now you gotta do the hard work without the skills/ ability, So.... you resort to these tactics shown on here now............what do you do when you dont have a football field to drop em in? seriously Murph?

LXT..............

Ouch! Lol. :laugh:

This is reminding me of when I had this homo hippy kid working for me.. Justin met him, he used to make walking sticks, claimed it was a real business! Lol, the day I finally fired his gay pothead ass, and called him a "girl climber", he says "oh yeah, well my customer that I just worked for was so impressed with my climbing that he gave me a chainsaw"! Lol, I don't know what my point is, but just saying! Lmao.. didn't keep him from trying to tell me how to do my job when he was here though..

Last edited:
MDS.........that is funny! ya know I figured I would check out ole Murph & see for myself.....Maybe he`s not all that bad & then BAM.........it gets even worse.

Ya go over to the TB & the same feelings are cast out to him there, check out his website & the self indulgence of arrogants is running wild in the streets (like hulkamania, LOL) where to start: ah yes......his being featured in the TCIA magazine "THE LARGEST ORGANIZATION N THE WORLD" sounds like ring ling Bro`s circus........& I especially like the picture of his equipment on the home page........if I didnt know better that looks like the advertisement page right out of the TCIA Magazine for Altec?

The repetitive enforcement of his TCIA debut(s) & other statements leaves me positively reinforced of his lack of humility, arrogance & diminished abilities in the realm of doing actual tree work & instead he notch & drops!

funny thing is: I have had articles put in the TCIA magazine too & have been interviewed by local news media pertaining to EAB.....I have been emailed by the editor of TCIA for future possible features within their magazine & have spoke on behalf of the LCTT union @ many events to promote our trade & so much more......................WHO CARES!!

Customers want what they want & want it done safely........not an ego filled, chance taking documentary to push the limit of what one can get away with, Murph....you are an educated man & no doubt philosophy has helped in your salesmanship BS.......but what it hasnt done for you is provided you with a humble continuance of learning in this field.......cause you know it all...!

funny for a man whos signature line says "god bless" the only thing you bless is yourself...........come down outta that ivory tower & then we can start over again!

LXT.......................

:hmm3grin2orange:

MDS.........that is funny! ya know I figured I would check out ole Murph & see for myself.....Maybe he`s not all that bad & then BAM.........it gets even worse.

Ya go over to the TB & the same feelings are cast out to him there, check out his website & the self indulgence of arrogants is running wild in the streets (like hulkamania, LOL) where to start: ah yes......his being featured in the TCIA magazine "THE LARGEST ORGANIZATION N THE WORLD" sounds like ring ling Bro`s circus........& I especially like the picture of his equipment on the home page........if I didnt know better that looks like the advertisement page right out of the TCIA Magazine for Altec?

The repetitive enforcement of his TCIA debut(s) & other statements leaves me positively reinforced of his lack of humility, arrogance & diminished abilities in the realm of doing actual tree work & instead he notch & drops!

funny thing is: I have had articles put in the TCIA magazine too & have been interviewed by local news media pertaining to EAB.....I have been emailed by the editor of TCIA for future possible features within their magazine & have spoke on behalf of the LCTT union @ many events to promote our trade & so much more......................WHO CARES!!

Customers want what they want & want it done safely........not an ego filled, chance taking documentary to push the limit of what one can get away with, Murph....you are an educated man & no doubt philosophy has helped in your salesmanship BS.......but what it hasnt done for you is provided you with a humble continuance of learning in this field.......cause you know it all...!

funny for a man whos signature line says "god bless" the only thing you bless is yourself...........come down outta that ivory tower & then we can start over again!

I can't believe this thread is still going.

Try it without the rope and with limbs on it.

Last edited:
I keep waiting for Murph to say we never cut around structures, powerlines and such.

I had a picture of an oak leaning well out over a propane tank on my last job that I accidently deleted. The top was busted out of it and hanging over the tank as well. I got er to swing around and laid it out within feet of it. I wonder what would have happend had I missed? Probably nothing, but one can dream can't he? Power lines, buildings, houses, you name it. No ropes... just doin the job.

When you start manipulating the tree and not just working with it, I think that is when you start to hit another level. Sound wood, uniform hinge, clean face, and a rope tugging. I wonder what is going to happen.

Last edited:
I get real pissed when people call me crazy. I put up with it all this time and even tried to use it to boost my confidence and show off. These days when someone calls me crazy for doing this work I say " I am not crazy its just that yer a puss"
And its true.

Big Oak Atterbury Dave 3.mov - YouTube

a 30 sec vid of a big oak spar dropped this afternoon.. treeslayer is running the commentary.. Very poor quality vid as he took it on his phone... you can see the power lines running parallel to the lay. I was actually going to drop it with another 15' of wood up top, but decided to take make the drop a little easier, and spent another 10 minutes roping out the top.

Oh my God! You messed up the lawn!! As an arborist I think you should be docked 150 ceu's.

I had a picture of an oak leaning well out over a propane tank on my last job that I accidently deleted. The top was busted out of it and hanging over the tank as well. I got er to swing around and laid it out within feet of it. I wonder what would have happend had I missed? Probably nothing, but one can dream can't he? Power lines, buildings, houses, you name it. No ropes... just doin the job.

When you start manipulating the tree and not just working with it, I think that is when you start to hit another level. Sound wood, uniform hinge, clean face, and a rope tugging. I wonder what is going to happen.

Yeah.

Lmfao yup:) This may not qualify for precision as I did pull it a little left actually on purpose to miss the monkey puzzle tree, but its damn sure extreme:)

I wish I had made a video of it stating a million times how dangerous it was and then pulled it over with my lawn tractor:)

badone_001.jpg

badone_007.jpg

badone_004.jpg

Rope that shot took big ones, good job. My knee caps woulda been shakin like a leaf, they do that somtimes

Getting the bills paid in this business comes down to the testicular fortitude of one man and one man only. It doesn't matter if you are the owner of a company like Marquis or one as puny as mine. If you don't have that guy then you got nothing. In fact, you would insult me if you reffered to what I do as a business, just like you would be. Sure, on the outside I bet you take great pride in the business you created... but that is just for the people, its not how you really feel. That's why you are like you are. And I can be the same way, I don't like it. I have trouble defining the lines as well, they truly are very hard to discern.
I wonder if I took away OD's 800 dollar saw, his orange forestry helmet , all the people boosting his ego then gave him a Cratfman and a 50 foot section of rope and that's all forever. I wonder " what then''?
I kinda wish sometimes I didn't wonder but it seems I have to. It seems we all do. It seems like that is what its all about. For everyone. The wonder. By definition you could say its wonderful could you not?
Whatever got you into this X? It was a fluke for me.

This is reminding me of when I had this homo hippy kid working for me.. Justin met him, he used to make walking sticks, claimed it was a real business! Lol, the day I finally fired his gay pothead ass, and called him a "girl climber", he says "oh yeah, well my customer that I just worked for was so impressed with my climbing that he gave me a chainsaw"! Lol, I don't know what my point is, but just saying! Lmao.. didn't keep him from trying to tell me how to do my job when he was here though..

Walking sticks seem more viable. Think about it. What do you see in the world? Me? Fffffuuuuccck! it looks like people are more liable to shell out for a walking stick.

Last edited:
Back