EXTREME precision falling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sounds like a challenge... like you don't believe me... maybe you don't believe it can be done.... stock 66.. 24" bar... next time you're making any cut over 20" put the clock on it... then think about how you'd cut off a horizontal limb that was as big as a tree.... anybody here got any ideas?

I dont like the rope to high on big trees,thats 17 ton breaking strain poly prop doubled up to a herc alloy chain/shackles.

This was an easy one only a house to the side of it and tree was limby but fairly evenly weighted,gets the job done fast.

It will get crazy/backleaning stuff where ever you want with the right operators in the excavator and saw.View attachment 258350

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?v=4458566146633

+1 I never set my winch line over 25 feet its less cable to take up when the fun begins:)

sounds like a challenge... like you don't believe me... maybe you don't believe it can be done.... stock 66.. 24" bar... next time you're making any cut over 20" put the clock on it... then think about how you'd cut off a horizontal limb that was as big as a tree.... anybody here got any ideas?

Well the question seems a bit vague are u saying nothing below said limb type of wood etc!

I make magic happen everyday, can't film everything. Did two topped trees the other day and left the outside to take the inside down. cut and move the @#$@ out of the way. $hit happens. and it pays.

undercut, cut the sides in, fast backcut

I didn't understand what the comments were about... cutting off a horizontal limb.

Did I miss something?

the most dangerous tree in 30 years

Still have those post adrenaline jitters going in the body... Normally I like a good hit of tree excitement... BUT that's becasue on some level, I think I can manage the risk or overcome the challenge etc... In this case it was sooooo bad, it was more up to God than any mortal... I saw this tree and couldn't believe it was still standing... 44"+ dbh co-dom red oak , that hadn't been touched in decades, if ever, reaching out over the garage and driveway, split about 12" wide at the crotch, going all the way to near ground, with all kinds of open, buckled, and twisted splintered grain showing... the only place to park the bucket was right under the nasty split top... Managed to have a climber set a safety line, bull rope, natural crotch 2:1 system, set down to the GRCS... cranked it up and then got to cutting and chucking, and only lowered from the good half... didn;t get the call til 2ish... from the description, thought it best to stop over on the way to another job and take a look. Even with the safety line, I wouldn't have got into that bucket if there was ANY wind today... It was so still and calm.... very stressful none the less... Managed to get a good bit of weight out, re-tightened the GRCS a few times and set another double braid safety line as a back up for the night... At some point tomorrow, we're gonna have to rig from the bad lead, but it should be so light and so well supported by then, it should work fine... Will have at least three safety lines in by then... and we'll rig steady with the GRCS to avoid shock loads and use a double pulley system with one pulley set high on the good side...

ps.. some pics and video coming..

Looking forward to the video's. Got one coming up, a tulip poplar in a backyard and very limited landing zone. Ya it's the neighbour's driveway. Also will post video

Not in 23 seconds... next time you're making a 12" cut, put the clock on it..

I have no desire to put a clock on my cuts, I'm talking about popping off a large horizontal limb here. You know, answering the question you asked.

Oh I see, you are making the 23 seconds a prerequisite to the cut method. In that case I still wouldn't clock it and just use the undercut with the Coo's Bay cut I described.

Last edited:
Still have those post adrenaline jitters going in the body... Normally I like a good hit of tree excitement... BUT that's becasue on some level, I think I can manage the risk or overcome the challenge etc... In this case it was sooooo bad, it was more up to God than any mortal... I saw this tree and couldn't believe it was still standing... 44"+ dbh co-dom red oak , that hadn't been touched in decades, if ever, reaching out over the garage and driveway, split about 12" wide at the crotch, going all the way to near ground, with all kinds of open, buckled, and twisted splintered grain showing... the only place to park the bucket was right under the nasty split top... Managed to have a climber set a safety line, bull rope, natural crotch 2:1 system, set down to the GRCS... cranked it up and then got to cutting and chucking, and only lowered from the good half... didn;t get the call til 2ish... from the description, thought it best to stop over on the way to another job and take a look. Even with the safety line, I wouldn't have got into that bucket if there was ANY wind today... It was so still and calm.... very stressful none the less... Managed to get a good bit of weight out, re-tightened the GRCS a few times and set another double braid safety line as a back up for the night... At some point tomorrow, we're gonna have to rig from the bad lead, but it should be so light and so well supported by then, it should work fine... Will have at least three safety lines in by then... and we'll rig steady with the GRCS to avoid shock loads and use a double pulley system with one pulley set high on the good side...

ps.. some pics and video coming..

I had a huge hackbury several years back, multiple splits, no bucket, crane etc. I can't say it was worst, because their is too many and my memory is fading :)

I had a huge hackbury several years back, multiple splits, no bucket, crane etc. I can't say it was worst, because their is too many and my memory is fading :)

Old Timer. :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

I have no desire to put a clock on my cuts, I'm talking about popping off a large horizontal limb here. You know, answering the question you asked.

Oh I see, you are making the 23 seconds a prerequisite to the cut method. In that case I still wouldn't clock it and just use the undercut with the Coo's Bay cut I described.

Nails,
that's a decent cut, but has some disadvantages, especially when getting into the kind of force involved in this monster horizontal lead.. ie... easy to overcut the notch and pinch the bar, hard to handle a saw cutting a notch upwards against gravity with a big saw, hard to judge just how much to take off the sides on the coos bay.... chance of getting pinched on the coos bay... for starters...

as far as not putting a clock on your cuts.. I would suggest that we all do... we should all be striving for maximum efficiency, without sacrificing safety.. Its often the case that the most efficient method is also a safer alternative... saw handling is such a big part of this business, yet there is very little focus on it for some unknown reason... just look at the classes at TCIA or ISA conferences... when did you ever hear of a class on falling cuts, or climbing cuts... no one wants to touch the issue...

I only emphasize the 23 seconds to make the point of just how efficient this cut is.. if you never paid attention to how long it takes you to make your cuts, you wouldn't have anything to compare that to. You've got good falling skills, WAY better than most, but there is still a lot of room for improvement in your game... seconds matter in this profession... A LOT!!! making everything (all repetitive tasks), including your cuts, as fast and efficient as possible, makes the difference between good and GREAT... Look at the vids Cody has been posting... His cutting techniques are flawless, no wasted movement, saving BIG TIME AND ENERGY..

I am finally beginning to understand the discussion, :)

Good information on a larger , horizontal limb.

Would a wedge on the bottom help, hurt, or no effect?

Latest posts

Back