EXTREME precision falling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EXTREME precision in tree falling.mov - YouTube

first 18 seconds show a slow motion tree falling... target was a 4' round of wood, distance over 50' from the hinge to the center of the target. Round was split perfectly in half. Second fall is a backleaning maple spar, with a tight LZ between a driveway and a house. third tree was a little back leaning corkscrew willow. These cuts were made in the course of two days.

How the street fair after getting hit pretty hard on that drop. I always try to avoid hitting pavement, since you can crack it with the big stuff.

How the street fair after getting hit pretty hard on that drop. I always try to avoid hitting pavement, since you can crack it with the big stuff.
good question..
the main impact was taken by the 4' round.. the tree had to then roll a bit before the back side hit in the street... didn't even leave a mark.. its amazing how tough the street is compared to a driveway..

Now that's funny bro!

ps.. at Home Depot peices that would be less than $70.. a good investment IMO, compared to doing all that tedious climbin and riggin or using one of them fancy thingeamabobs with the big booms.

Believe me it has bailed my ass outta a couple of pot hole problems .... I vote yes on the cold patch .

I have been curious as to the reason for the log that breaks the fall.

Thanks,

We happened to have this big stump cut piece of oak on the trailer... I set it up as a target... you can't see it for all the leaves, but there was a concrete curb along the road.. if I missed that 4' target at 50', I was buying a new curb minimum. the 4' round was enough to protect the curb, if I could hit it.... its one thing to aim for cans or stakes in the ground... when there is no consequence to failure... quite another to trust your falling skills when it really counts....

My having a case of tunnel vision, only could see that it was to lessen the fall overall, not to protect a certain object. Now it makes much more sense....

:)

We happened to have this big stump cut piece of oak on the trailer... I set it up as a target... you can't see it for all the leaves, but there was a concrete curb along the road.. if I missed that 4' target at 50', I was buying a new curb minimum. the 4' round was enough to protect the curb, if I could hit it.... its one thing to aim for cans or stakes in the ground... when there is no consequence to failure... quite another to trust your falling skills when it really counts....

Do it all the time I fell one yesterday you might have thought crazy lol leaner 45" toward house anyway nothing the winch couldn't handle :)

Do it all the time I fell one yesterday you might have thought crazy lol leaner 45" toward house anyway nothing the winch couldn't handle :)

when you have that kind of pulling power and the ability to set a precise direction, it opens up a whole new realm of possibilities. Lotsa fun for those who know how to use it... others better get a crane..

I've snapped a 1/2 cable TWICE, and fortunately didn't hurt anything or anybody. It failed at weak / injured spots.

Went to a 5/8 anyway, and haven't had any troubles. Still need to pay attention.....

Carry on...

I've snapped a 1/2 cable TWICE, and fortunately didn't hurt anything or anybody. It failed at weak / injured spots.

Went to a 5/8 anyway, and haven't had any troubles. Still need to pay attention.....

Carry on...
Lol well I have snapped 5/8 being sunk in mud but really 5000 to 8000 lbs pull pretensioned then added after establishing hinge never had troubles that way. The beauty of my pto winch is I can kill truck winch still in gear if more pull is necessary start it and over it comes! I have sorta got the hang of it in 15 years of using a braden winch! I do need a new 200 foot cable but been making do with a shorty and my 3/4 stable braid!

My first tree job after I was crushed, and while I was on a walking cane, and couldn't get up a step without using my hands, I was orchestrating my son, who always thought I didn't know what I was doing..... We had a snatch set, and I had him move out of the bight, and he wasn't happy. The cheesy snatch failed and flew over 70 feet in an arc right thru where he wanted to stand. He was a believer.

Now I have snatches that I can barely drag around, but they won't fail.....

My first tree job after I was crushed, and while I was on a walking cane, and couldn't get up a step without using my hands, I was orchestrating my son, who always thought I didn't know what I was doing..... We had a snatch set, and I had him move out of the bight, and he wasn't happy. The cheesy snatch failed and flew over 70 feet in an arc right thru where he wanted to stand. He was a believer.

Skookum!

Lol I use these!View attachment 287777

Expensive but they are good!

Back