F-550 chip truck

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klaibs27

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm looking to upgrade from my current setup (chipping into the back of my short bed F150) and go to a dump truck with a chip box (whether premade or a DIY). I came across this on Marketplace: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1313538638992227

It's an 95 F550 7.3L Powerstroke, stick shift, with a PTO driven dump with a massive chip box on it. I went and drove it last week and it's a beast for sure. My biggest concern will be the lack of storage as it's a single cab with only a small under-bed storage box (that will need to be replaced).

Do any of you run this sort of setup and what do you do for storage? I work by myself so I can probably stuff the passenger seat with equipment but looking for suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• F550.jpg
    F550.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 25
Those boxes are about the best storage location on that truck.
The oil leak is probably from the oil pan being rotted out, I’ve changed plenty.
Keep in mind that fully loaded with with chip and a 15k gvw you will probably be over weight.

Hi everyone, I'm looking to upgrade from my current setup (chipping into the back of my short bed F150) and go to a dump truck with a chip box (whether premade or a DIY). I came across this on Marketplace: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1313538638992227

It's an 95 F550 7.3L Powerstroke, stick shift, with a PTO driven dump with a massive chip box on it. I went and drove it last week and it's a beast for sure. My biggest concern will be the lack of storage as it's a single cab with only a small under-bed storage box (that will need to be replaced).

Do any of you run this sort of setup and what do you do for storage? I work by myself so I can probably stuff the passenger seat with equipment but looking for suggestions.

Thanks in advance!
7.3 diesel, little or not rot, seemingly minor oil leak (outside the engine or within?), jump on it for 7500

For storage, I store my saws and ropes on or in the chipper. BC 1000 has the feed tray that closes and I can keep 5 saws, gas, oil and a blower in back in front of the feed roller. On top of the fender I bolted on a storage box to hold the ropesand then under the cab, like you have, I have a storage box. Then of course there's behind the seat.

Those boxes are about the best storage location on that truck.
The oil leak is probably from the oil pan being rotted out, I’ve changed plenty.
Keep in mind that fully loaded with with chip and a 15k gvw you will probably be over weight.
Shouldnt it be around 19k GVWR? I have same body style F450 and it 14k GVWR if memory serves me.

says right on the door tag GVWR for 15K

Breaks it down as 5K front axle and 11K rear axle (adds to 16 but the tag says 15K)

I have a 14K 350 and I've never been over weight, can carry 10 yards of chips if fully loaded. a load of logs? Maybe overweight.

I think you'd be hard pressed to do much better for $7500.

It'll be leaps and bounds above an F150. I'd put ropes, rigging, and saddle in the passenger seat. Then I'd put saws in the storage, the bed, the chipper feed, make a mount, whatever, that's an easy problem to solve.

I think you'd be hard pressed to do much better for $7500.

It'll be leaps and bounds above an F150. I'd put ropes, rigging, and saddle in the passenger seat. Then I'd put saws in the storage, the bed, the chipper feed, make a mount, whatever, that's an easy problem to solve.

Just the dump box and hoist would cost over that if setting up a C&C truck.

I spent about 5k at a shop to put a dump hoist on one of my trucks, and that was with the hoist being a "left over" and me supplying the pump.

Interesting on the F350 being 14k.

I have a C&C F350 that is 10k GVWR. It seems to be WAY underated though. 2 cords of wood drops it down maybe 2-3"

Just the dump box and hoist would cost over that if setting up a C&C truck.

I spent about 5k at a shop to put a dump hoist on one of my trucks, and that was with the hoist being a "left over" and me supplying the pump.

Interesting on the F350 being 14k.

I have a C&C F350 that is 10k GVWR. It seems to be WAY underated though. 2 cords of wood drops it down maybe 2-3"
Is your 350 a srw? I’ve never seen a drw rated at 10k. Even on the srw 350 the 10k is rating is a derating, Nothing changes between the 10k and 11.5k gvwr other than the sticker.

NOT a steal for sure and with that junk 7.3 you dont have much going for you! ---Got a 97 here ---- 7.3 had to spend $4,000 in parts just to get it running so I can use it in warm weather,( above 55*) no start below that even by using the glow plugs which are new as is everything else in there and now they tell me the injectors need replaced at another $1,500 to $2,500!
Had 99,800 miles on it when I got it, now has 120,000. When it runs it is slow on the road which is no problem for me, but others would find this a problem. I do get around 16 mpg which aint bad but I dont crowd it, --- just let it pick its own speed, run tach at 1,750 and all is good.
Good luck on yours and that little oil leak could cost you another $8,000, so factor that into your bid!
This is just what I ran into on these 7.3 motors --- neighbor here has 3 of them sittin out back in the junk. good trucks--- just need a good gas motor put in them.

NOT a steal for sure and with that junk 7.3 you dont have much going for you! ---Got a 97 here ---- 7.3 had to spend $4,000 in parts just to get it running so I can use it in warm weather,( above 55*) no start below that even by using the glow plugs which are new as is everything else in there and now they tell me the injectors need replaced at another $1,500 to $2,500!
Had 99,800 miles on it when I got it, now has 120,000. When it runs it is slow on the road which is no problem for me, but others would find this a problem. I do get around 16 mpg which aint bad but I dont crowd it, --- just let it pick its own speed, run tach at 1,750 and all is good.
Good luck on yours and that little oil leak could cost you another $8,000, so factor that into your bid!
This is just what I ran into on these 7.3 motors --- neighbor here has 3 of them sittin out back in the junk. good trucks--- just need a good gas motor put in them.
You sound like a Chevy guy. It also sounds like you bought one that sat. That’s one of the best and reliable diesels ever built. Not a powerhouse or a speed demon but runs great and pulls well. Plenty of them still running daily with over 500k miles. Your case isn’t typical and wouldn’t discourage most people from buying one...

If you guys are talking 7.3 litre International Navstar , their very stout diesels . I put over 500,000 miles on my 1989 with only the low pressure pump and glow plugs replaced in 15 yrs of service . Started every winter without block heater usage . I used it for a wood hauler & plow truck , replaced the electronic transmission when I 1st bought it with a C-6 never looked back !

7.3 diesel, little or not rot, seemingly minor oil leak (outside the engine or within?), jump on it for 7500

For storage, I store my saws and ropes on or in the chipper. BC 1000 has the feed tray that closes and I can keep 5 saws, gas, oil and a blower in back in front of the feed roller. On top of the fender I bolted on a storage box to hold the ropesand then under the cab, like you have, I have a storage box. Then of course there's behind the seat.
Hopefully the rot is very minor those regular cabs are getting harder to find.

No real experience with the chip body but cant go wrong with a 7.3. Oil leaks are common, full o ring kits online and can be done in a few hours. These are big Oil heui engines, not common rails. If it’s stick I believe it should be the zf-5. Great transmission, not for rowing gears for speed though. We had a 99 550 7.3 zf6 and it was a tank. We had to run 22.5s to get the right speed on the highway without the truck screaming all the time. 95 is a non intercooled, forged rod engine, single shot injectors. If you do go check out the truck have someone there or take it to someone to buzz test/ contribution test. Cheap insurance for your investment. Good luck brother! Like Elevatorguy said above these are proven 500k+ engines with only regular maintenance.

Yup 7.3s are good engine but like any diesel keep up on the maintanence. That was half the reason 6.0s had so many problems, you can't miss a maintanence schedule with a 6.0. Also, the only OBS 7.3 without single shots was a 97 Cali model which had split shots and a bunch of other little differences.

the dip stick grommet on the side of the pan fail and they leak or even fall off into the pan causing huge oil loss...there is a kit to replace it that does not require removing the pan they are about a hour to install. great engine and like another suggested get a injector buzz test to check their health. a job box over the cab bolted to the front of the chip box and fold up steps on the box corners.

Latest posts

Back