face cords

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

computerboy345

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
i was always told a cords was multiple pieces of wood that was 4x4x8. i was told a face cord should be one piece of wood at what size. some one told me 4x8x but waht is the last dimension? also i am thinking about selling camp fire wood near rockford illinois(near chicago). i was wondering how big of bundles i should make and about what to charge. i see them at gas stations for 5 bucks and the bundles are small compared to waht i always make them......what is a proper sizing on those and i tried selling a huge bundle for 2 bucks and no one wanted it but i am kind of at a bad location not near any campgrounds..what is the proper price and size though?

I usually try to cut firewood and camp firewood 15 to 18 inches.I'm about 2 1/2 hours east of you in the lakes area on northern Indiana.Try to make the bundles so 3 will fit into a car trunk or the back of a suv with alittle room to spare,(2'x2'x16").iI get $3.00 for that size.Last winter full cords of hardwood where running 220 to275.You ever tried selling in Chicago.Best time to sell is in DEC., thur Feb. People don't cut enough and supply starts to get low and prices go up during those months.It pays better than campfirewood.Just a though.:D Dan

what should the dimensions of a face cord? 4x4x what or what are they....and someone told me face cords should be one continous piece of wood is that true? a cord is 4x4x8 isnt it?

A cord of wood should be 128 cubic feet which works out to 4x4x8. In a pile 4 feet wide you can fit 2 two footers or 3 16 inch pieces ( or 4 one foot sticks, if you are cutting for a pot belly or antique kitchen stove) A face cord is 8' long, 4' high and as wide as the length of one stick, which is the "face" of the 4x4x8 pile. Because of this, the amount of wood in a face cord varies according to how long the sticks are. Here in RI it's illegal (last I knew) to advertise cordwood in any designation but full cords because it's hard to figure out just how much product you are getting and it's a good chance for the fly-by-nights to screw somebody :eek: Of course, the stores do have the 4 shrink-wrapped pieces for 3.99 :confused:

Around here, a full size pickup truck loaded to the top of the bed(2x4x8) is commonly called either a half-cord or face cord.

So, you went from running a lumber mill to selling firewood on the side of the road, computerboy? :dizzy: :laugh:

Yeahhhhhhhhhh, good answer. :rolleyes: So when was the last time you heard of a MILL OWNER who didn't know how big a cord of wood was? I don't like being LIED TO! :angry: :angry: Go away, little boy. Come back when you want to be honest. I have no problem answering a 12 year old boy who is interested and wants to learn, but I HATE being lied to!

Latest posts

Back