ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Fair pay for snow removal

Discussion in 'Off the Topic Forum' started by greengoblin, Feb 26, 2019.

1. greengoblin

greengoblin Addicted to ArboristSite

I don't have the equipment to move my own snow when it gets to 6" and blowing and drifting to 4 tall, 200ft drive, what's fair to dig me out?

SeMoTony and farmer steve like this.
  2. Ted Jenkins

Ted Jenkins Firewood by TJ

I do not see that it matters. Here when we have snow people some times people pay five times what it should cost. When people want out they pay whatever it takes. When I plow I charge some times $1500 for a day with my skidsteer. Two or three days later I charge maybe $700 after 5 to 8 days later $450. Of course I go to the customers that tell me cost does not matter first. That is what you would do. Get a snow blower and find some willing person to come over and clear you out for maybe $200 or $300 for a day. Thanks

3. CentaurG2

CentaurG2 Addicted to ArboristSite

It really depends on you set things up. Like lawn mowing, you can call to have it done one time or you can set up a contract to have it done all year weather it snows or not. A one-time charge, depending on the amount of snow and equipment required, could get pricy. One if the biggest problems with contract snow removal is everybody wants their driveway done at the same time, right as the last flake falls out of the sky.

Six inches of snow on a 200ft drive is nothing. A snow shovel, your neighbors kid and $100 bill should solve it in no time.

4. yooper

yooper Tree Freak

IMG_1603.JPG IMG_1602.JPG IMG_1597.JPG
    Took me and my son almost six hrs to shovel and hand scoop this mess out on Monday morning. Wish my snowblower didn't break down last week.
    Glad I have trees to protect me from the Lake Superior wind as this is what the roads looked like with no protection.

5. CentaurG2

CentaurG2 Addicted to ArboristSite

How much did you pay him?? We are actually way behind on snowfall this year and the storms have been very odd. A few inches of snow followed by heavy rain. Only used the Honda once this season and that was on a bunch of heart attack slop.

6. greengoblin

greengoblin Addicted to ArboristSite

Wow I am cheap!

SeMoTony likes this.
  7. ChoppyChoppy

ChoppyChoppy Addicted to ArboristSite

I do my neighbor's drive, it's about 15ftx85ft, a bit smaller than mine. I charge them $25. I also mow their yard in the summer, it's about .5 acre or so, charge $25 for that as well.
    Pretty much works out that it covers maintenance and fuel on the tractor and zero turn.

Started doing it a few years ago, he was renting the place out to his kids (it's a duplex). Kid's were 25-30yrs old and "too busy" to take care of that. I happened to be home and the old man (about 80) was trying to mow 2ft tall grass with a push mower in 80* heat (HOT for here). His shitbag kid was sitting on the upstairs deck boozing it up. Tell you what, that burned my ass hard.
    I brought the old man a glass of ice water and got him to sit in the shade. I brought out my zero turn and finished up the mowing, the whole time the shitbag kid was glaring at me (we didn't get along well)

I've brought my skid steer in when it drifted bad, was hard enough I drove a 7500lb truck over one section and it barely even left tire marks! Anyhow, I ended up doing several of the driveways in my neighborhood (about 15 houses). Already had the skid steer at the house, so wasn't really a big deal to "donate" a bit of fuel and time and help out people.

Most came by to say thanks and offer $$. I said don't worry about it, right hand washing the left type thing.

I ended up with some moose and caribou meat, honey, caribou jerky sticks, a big container of homemade cookies and a pie! Someone waited till I was gone and tucked an envelope in the door with $$, WAY more than I thought was fair. No idea who though.

This year hasn't been too bad for drifting snow which is nice. Has been some years I could nearly get on the roof of the house without a ladder.

SeMoTony, spyder62 and Duce like this.
  8. ironman_gq

ironman_gq Addicted to ArboristSite

They charge around $60hr here, more if anything beyond a snowblower and a shovel is involved.

9. Wood Doctor

Wood Doctor Edwin

My neighbor's teenage son forgot to dig out the snow in front of his dad's driveway last week. This afternoon I saw the boy using a big pick and a sledge, hammering away at the ice that was over a foot tall and 20 feet wide. The snow decided to freeze and of course, they drove over it dozens of times.

What do you think Dad was paying him to finally remove the rock-hard chunks?

10. ChoppyChoppy

A roof over his head and food at the table.
    Least that's what my Dad paid.

I took a paycheck job at 15 (earliest you can in Maine). My Dad was fine with me not doing some of the stuff at home since I was "earning a living", vs just doing "nothing" at home.

11. unclemoustache

unclemoustache My 'stache is bigger than yours.

When my kids work on splitting firewood for the home, they don't get paid, but when they do it for wood I sell, they do.
    Unfortunately we don't get much snow here. I love to shovel snow, and we live on a corner lot. City took out one of the sidewalks in my yard to expand the road, so now I have even less sidewalk to shovel.
    Tried shoveling my neighbor's sidewalk once, and she shooed me away - didn't want to get sued in case someone slipped.

We had a huge yard growing up - enough for a small ball field on which we played all the time. But mowing it with a push mower was not easy, so mom paid us $20 each time - an enormous amount. My dad would rush home from work to do it himself so he wouldn't have to pay us!
    Of course, after we all left home he bought a riding mower. :angry:

This year they are getting a lot of snow. We kids bought him a snowblower a couple years ago, and he's really getting it's use. Just about every day for the past 2 weeks.
    And I'm stuck here with no snow. But we're supposed to get some tonight! Yay!

12. bowtechmadman

bowtechmadman Addicted to ArboristSite

I did my elderly neighbors a couple times this year...about 200' drive. They have the equipment to do it but health unfortunately is starting to fail. I refused pay but did find an envelope in our mail box with 50 bucks in it.

13. bowtechmadman

bowtechmadman Addicted to ArboristSite

Sorry...yea no shovel for me. Kubota L3600 with FEL and back blade make fairly short work of the drive. Kids get their shoveling time by keeping the path to the sauna shoveled clear.

SeMoTony likes this.
  14. yooper

yooper Tree Freak

Should've planned your trip up north in int winter. You can shovel here until your heart is content.

15. unclemoustache

unclemoustache My 'stache is bigger than yours.

Maybe there'll still be some by the time we get there. :havingarest:

16. yooper

yooper Tree Freak

There will still be ice floating in various spots of the big lake beginning of June.

17. ChoppyChoppy

I had to shovel snow on Memorial Day weekend 5 or 6 years ago. Was crazy weather. Snow on Thursday and by Saturday it was 75*!

SeMoTony likes this.
  18. jrider

jrider Addicted to ArboristSite

That’s a $100 driveway around here

19. rarefish383

rarefish383 Addicted to ArboristSite

I'm pretty much a one man show. Mowing and snow removal I try to average $50 an hour. Neighbors are free. I'm retired from 4 generations of a family owned tree service. I'm not licensed anymore, but still do a little side work for friends and neighbors. I pay my climber a min of $500 a day, so I charge about $1000 a day. If it takes a lot of roping over structures it can go up fast. Back in the winter of 85-86 we got 20 some inches over night. I took my JD with a 9' back blade across the street to a big development. The pick ups with blades were charging $50 a drive. I could do a drive in ten minutes and was charging $15-$20. One old guy had shoveled most of his drive as I pulled up. He had a big dip in the last 10 feet and it was drifted to about 4' deep. I asked if he wanted me to knock that out for him? He said no, then as I started to pull off, he said what would you charge? I said $20 for the whole drive, but, your finished now, nothing for what's left. He said OK, and when I finished he tried to hand me a $20. I said I had too much fun driving the tractor through that drift to charge for it. He gave me a story I could tell the rest of my life, that was priceless.

unclemoustache, CJ Brown and SeMoTony like this.
  20. Jhenderson

Jhenderson ArboristSite Operative

Sounds like you need some snow fence. It varies by location and annual snowfall. My contracts all say 4 inches to a foot, one price. Over 1 foot, less than 2 ft, double. Over 3 ft, negotiated. If you called me only when you couldn’t get out and I had to deal with frozen ruts and ice you’d be out of luck. I wouldn’t come.
    If you had a contract with me I’d probably start at $40 for a straight shot, 10ft wide with no obstacles, and somewhere to put the snow. That’s with one or two drifts, not the whole drive drifted in. I’m also the lowest priced guy I know and turn down work regularly. A lot of folks aren’t worth the grief that comes with the job.