Falling into it.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wdchuck

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Was out on a tree line collecting last years bucked wood, and this car stops, guy gets out and asks if I want more firewood, SURE I say, always looking for more. He continues with how there is a clearing job coming up, 15+ acres all hardwood, not too far away.

He even offered to let me use one of his trailers, since mine is a 4x8 #800 axle.

I was himin&hawin about doing the treeline gathering today, really glad I went out there now.

I've never worked around pro's before, any sage advise so I don't wear out my welcome on this opportunity?

wdchuck said:
Was out on a tree line collecting last years bucked wood, and this car stops, guy gets out and asks if I want more firewood, SURE I say, always looking for more. He continues with how there is a clearing job coming up, 15+ acres all hardwood, not too far away.

He even offered to let me use one of his trailers, since mine is a 4x8 #800 axle.

I was himin&hawin about doing the treeline gathering today, really glad I went out there now.

I've never worked around pro's before, any sage advise so I don't wear out my welcome on this opportunity?

Not a pro but I have done similar work. Mostly clear cutting overgrown copses.

Be sure it is clearly understood just what you are to do.

Pile/burn all brush?
Flush cut stumps?
Any restrictions on hours/days?
Restrictions on access? Equipment?

I have been caught short a time or two when my and the owners understanding didn't quite jibe.

Harry K

THanks, he also is a CSM user, a type with a carriage. Seems like a friendly enough sort, definitely a focused, driven individual.

Maybe a dry run during the day, so I see what route is best, layout and such.

Might have to get grandma out here to watch the kids for a week so I can really take advantage of all the opportunities that may be available.

How many cords could a guy move by himself at both ends in a day?

Hm, sounds like a nice opportunity but Harry brings up some very good points and they factor into what you can expect to pull out in a day. If you're just going in and bucking/ loading then flyin' home and dumping I'd guesstimate a good day would be 1 1/2-2 cords to your door off the trailer (assuming you're not 100 miles away lol), though that would really be pushing it for me, depends what sort of shape you are in too :D Its about what my wood guy does in a day, cut split, loaded, and delivered (not stacked tho). If it is a fairly secure area and there is no fear of thievery I'd spend a day at a time just cutting then another just moving. If it is straightforward, maybe even yarded to a convenient central location I could see someone easily cutting 3-4 cords on a good day. I'd definitely find out what is required of you before starting though and if it is on the up-n-up hunt down a helper for a cut of the wood, wait, you said 'kids', well there ya go, you gots your own chain gang :clap:

:cheers:

Serge

if time is of the essence, but you want to get as much as you can, just do what i do.

buck up as much as you can, load your truck and trailer, take them to your house, dump on the ground, go back and repeat...

split and stack them at the house when you have more time. you handle the wood twice, but you could also get twice as much...

The kids are 2-1/2, 3-1/2, couple more years yet.

He does dump at his place so that may offer up some options also, it'd be faster to take stuff out in log form and dump it here to worked later, but that requires anther level of transport than I am familiar with.

No indication that I have to help out, just buck, load, home, dump, repeat.

Have to find the chart that has log weights, there's a thread with it around here somewhere, print it out, take it with and be able to calculate load weights.

Best thing to do is use this as a learning opportunity (along with free firewood). Just watch how he works and listen to any advice he might give you. Although you may never get into full on logging, there's always something to learn from a guy who's at it all day.

I also like the idea of bucking them up and taking them home in blocks. This would get the wood out of his way quicker and make you that much more of an asset. A lot of times real estate on a landing is at a premium. Any more room you can keep clear for him would be looked highly upon.

I returned my bosses logsplitter today that I was using in a Kansas downpour, and was jabberjawin with him in his shop when I noticed an old battered looking Stihl sittin on a pile of parts. Bear in mind my boss runs Huskys, so it made me curious. I asked him about it, and he told me to take the saw before he threw it in the mud puddle outside and ran it over. It at a glance looks like a 31 or larger parts saw, but the 20 inch bar and chain are brand new, never been used. I offered to pay him, but he said he knew I would get more use out of it than he would. 20 inch bar is a little big for my 026, but maybe thats my excuse to find a bigger saw. :cheers:

Woke up to 6 inches of snow this morning. First snow of the year here, was kinda nice to see it. Glad I tarped my wood supply. After tearin down that parts saw I aquired, its junk, still cant figure out what size it is. Clutch carb mag and case look ok, engine is toast. This old saw has the clutch mounted outside where the chain sprocket is. I havent seen another Stihl saw like that, but I havent messed with any over a 029. Anyway, anyone looking to get rid of a 031 or larger, I have a bar and chain, just need the rest of the saw! HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!

Best thing to do is use this as a learning opportunity (along with free firewood). Just watch how he works and listen to any advice he might give you. Although you may never get into full on logging, there's always something to learn from a guy who's at it all day.

I also like the idea of bucking them up and taking them home in blocks. This would get the wood out of his way quicker and make you that much more of an asset. A lot of times real estate on a landing is at a premium. Any more room you can keep clear for him would be looked highly upon.

It's amazing how efficient a pro can be. Little movement lots of chips.

Latest posts

Back