Falling Old Growth Redwood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greystoke

Tarzan
Reaction score
Need some positive reinforcement from people other than tree huggers. I know some of you on here probably won't like it, but oh well, I will get some positive feed back too:msp_tongue:

[video=youtube;HdgMcbNwZ3o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdgMcbNwZ3o[/video]
[video=youtube;jDhLp1BtiGw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDhLp1BtiGw[/video]
[video=youtube;55fAQwmvy60]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55fAQwmvy60[/video]

Last edited:
No problem Cody. Might get more if you told the guys in the F&L section.

THAT was awesome. Great footage. Everyone in the tree business has a bit of "big timber faller" in them. Just not all of us admit it. I do. Is that an 880? Where was that filmed? Thanks for the share.

I think Cody said they were "leftovers" from a previous operation. Relogging OG Redwood is/was a common practice. The oldtimers often bypassed the nasties or timber that could not be felled profitably.

I see. I wonder what kind of land they are on. Does somebody just own those privately or what? :msp_confused:

Or what?
Except for some State Forest Reserves and a dab that is administered by the USFS, Redwood logging is almost all on private land. The timber companies held vast amounts of land. Of the 6% of OG Redwood left, a substantial amount is in private hands.

1965 would have been the year, restoration after the Christmas Flood caused a great deal of activity. The daily harvest was in the neighborhood of 3,500 giants felled, bucked and dragged away. PL and LP were running their rail lines day and night, the roads were clogged with trucks, mills ran three shifts and blind man with one arm could get a job.

1965 would have been the year, restoration after the Christmas Flood caused a great deal of activity. The daily harvest was in the neighborhood of 3,500 giants felled, bucked and dragged away. PL and LP were running their rail lines day and night, the roads were clogged with trucks, mills ran three shifts and blind man with one arm could get a job.

Yup...a lot of guys got their start when that was going on. Including a skinny 18 year old kid who up until then had been a second faller, bucker, all around flunky and human pack-mule. :laugh:

There was so much work in the woods then that if you stood on the main street in Rio Dell with your saw, your tools, your nose-bag, and your boots you'd get hired by somebody before you could finish your morning coffee. But, then as now, if you didn't know your business you'd be back on the street pretty quick.

Last edited:
Thanks for answering for me Randy. Wish I could go back in time about 50 years or so and take my tools with me...

LOL...that's what I'd want to do, too. Today's saws, jacks, and better logging machinery in general sure would have made those days easier. I know this will make RandyMac grind his teeth but if I had a choice between packing an old handlebar Mac all day or one of the new breed of saws I know which one I'd choose.

I'd still like to have a 125, though...just to start it up and cut a little for fun and to hear that sound again.

Back