Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that was a nice one. what happened to the bark on one side? lightining?

I think so Mike. I cut two that size about 1/4 mile apart and both had nearly identical markings. Most lightening strikes like that, kill the tree shortly there after. Those marks looked about a year old 2 max. I videoed a bigger one than that today to but I miss read where I was in my cut and left a 3 x 3 post and pulled about 8 inches of fiber! I even said dammit in the vid. I am going to upload it but prolly not post it. I wan't real proud of my mistake.

Well my mistake is not packing out and getting my 30" bar. The pull was at the tip of my bar where I had failed to complete my sweep. Ahhh...no real big deal...They ain't gonna bring the grade down any for that on a butt log as nice as this was! I figure very very little measurement in the stump and at 9'4....heck when it comes up I will post it...it's a damn nice tree.

Clint- I gotta get you up here into some big timber. Its not unusual to have a 150 year old 4' red oak on a job. It just seems like your bigger timber is my average timber. 32" bar man. Any size timber. No ####in around, will get more wood on the ground as long as its got a hopped up 90ccs to pull it. Its just that short bar mentality of the hardwood logging crowd that is so hard to break. There is a flow and movement in running a long bar that I haven't seen yet.

Dude ifn you brought me up there in your timber we'd be fighting everyday on who was gonna cut! LOL! Yeh, honestly though...I didn't even know that timber was there and I wasn't packing out to get the 30" bar. The 660 is still stock bitzer. The tract I'm fixing to start on is all big timber like you're saying you have. Heck you know how it works...cut whats in front of ya and go home.

Last edited:
Yeah Clint I know what you mean. I guess if your not getting paid by volume then it doesn't really matter a whole lot. You do know how to kill a lot of timber though and if you ever did get a job bushelin you would only need a few tweeks to really kill a lot of timber. One major thing for me was deciding on what bar length to stick with. I run the 32" bar full time no matter what the size of the wood and my volumes are pretty dam close no matter what I am cutting. If its all pulp I still cut two truckloads in a day. Yeah if its all logs I can squeak out some more, but I typically shoot for two loads a day (10mbf/20+ cords/or mixed logs and pulp). There are so many things you can do running a longer bar full time that you can't do with a short bar. You've got a system down though and it works for you, I just like nudging you a little :D.

Yeah Clint I know what you mean. I guess if your not getting paid by volume then it doesn't really matter a whole lot. You do know how to kill a lot of timber though and if you ever did get a job bushelin you would only need a few tweeks to really kill a lot of timber. One major thing for me was deciding on what bar length to stick with. I run the 32" bar full time no matter what the size of the wood and my volumes are pretty dam close no matter what I am cutting. If its all pulp I still cut two truckloads in a day. Yeah if its all logs I can squeak out some more, but I typically shoot for two loads a day (10mbf/20+ cords/or mixed logs and pulp). There are so many things you can do running a longer bar full time that you can't do with a short bar. You've got a system down though and it works for you, I just like nudging you a little :D.

32" bars are just about the perfect all around bar.

Ok so where's the dam dawgs then? Haha! Just kidding man! When I asked you about them I didn't realize there was already serious demand for them. I just figured you did a lot of kickass metal work and probably could make some up. Then I noticed your ad in your sig line. Didn't mean to bug you about em! I'm sure you'll let us know when ever you get around to em. I'm in no hurry.

We're all buggin him for dogs! If I were on a tract right now I'd have to use substandard husky dogs :laugh:

No big deal right now tho

Looks like the gerbils are spinning the wheel again

emubupa4.jpg

Back