Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No need to eat anything. My two have been in service for a while. I think I could get to like these bars. Them suckers is tough. You'll like them. I just wish there was a better source for them. Where did you get those?

Owl

They're 32" x .063" -- $175 each at my door.

Bought them from Dave M., "thechainsawguy" here on AS. search for his Tsumura thread, find him on the web too.

Sent using two cans and a string.

You should see how fast and far you have to run when you have no idea where it's going. Nice snipe and camera angle

Thanks, Jon.

No, I don't want to see that. Running like hell and not looking back may not save your ass if it goes sideways. The tree falls faster than you run, but slower than you think. The right procedure is to stay by the stump, enjoy yourself, and look carefully where is it about to go. Then few tranquil steps to your side (tripping up is not an option).

The stuff that comes from above, when you see it, it's already late to do anything.

Another clip from the golf course. Bore cutting. Dig how hard the frozen birch gets. Like steel.

Last edited:
I actually found a video of one I walked away from calmly. Probably because I was either 1) so tired from smacking wedges that I didn't have the energy to run, or 2) so disgusted with my inability to match cuts, necessitating an unwanted block face that I just didn't care anymore....

Belongs more in the homeowner helpers forum

I actually found a video of one I walked away from calmly. Probably because I was either 1) so tired from smacking wedges that I didn't have the energy to run, or 2) so disgusted with my inability to match cuts, necessitating an unwanted block face that I just didn't care anymore....

Belongs more in the homeowner helpers forum

Naw, you probably sucked at z plasty's and sutures at first too. . . It's like anything, practice makes perfect. :)

Small girlie-man being pulled this way and that by a big nasty saw. Seems wierd to real fallers, but with a bar significantly smaller than the tree, I feel a need to start the second cut at the far corner and come backwards. With a long bar, I dog in at the near corner and always (I mean every single ****ing time) miss the far corner short.

Naw, you probably sucked at z plasty's and sutures at first too. . . It's like anything, practice makes perfect. :)

True, and since I haven't had a need to do a Z-plasty in 10+years, I'd be rusty at that too.
I was looking back at this forum and realized lots of pictures/vids must have died with the "reboot". I'm bored between hockey games, so I figured I'd pollute this thread with silly-falling.

Don't be so hard on yourself. . . How many trees have you fell? 100? I know guys that have 40 years and 200,000 trees that miss the off side. Or they cut too much holdwood, or dutch one side and it pulls the tree.

If you learn something each time, that's what counts. On missing the off side -- if anything -- train yourself to miss high and not low. High, you can cut more out, low and you'll most likely change your gun. Especially if you try and fix it by beavering on it, instead of just starting over with the gun - and cleaning from there.

I think I always come up short with the undercut on a Humboldt is 'cause before I knew better, I chased my "long" undercut with my gunning cut, and wound up having to do about 50 feet of fence repair. It seems so easy on paper or videos......
I will say, learning stuff here, and reading stuff in books has helped a ton, and I haven't missed one since last spring. If nobody is watching or timing me, I can eventually make a usable face. I bore more than I need to 'cause ever since Tramp said any idiot can throw in a back cut I haven't been able to:laugh:

Here's a couple from a tract I'm currently working...nothing spectacular...meh

Up hilled against lean to save out a set of small pine

Nice new wedge, and even better Dutch on the first tree. I was hoping you didn't buy too many hardhead's as they would damage your "sledge"!

I would love to spend a day cutting with you, but you'd have to up u'r life insurance first:clap:

My LI is in good shape! LOL! Hey Husk....have you seen my high stump video where I botched the face and ended up with a sniped conventional??? LOL! Makes me wonder if some of these faces people use were originally mistakes! LMAO! If you haven't seen it I can post it...my excuse is that it was a head high cut and I don't get alot of practice on them. LOL!

My LI is in good shape! LOL! Hey Husk....have you seen my high stump video where I botched the face and ended up with a sniped conventional??? LOL! Makes me wonder if some of these faces people use were originally mistakes! LMAO! If you haven't seen it I can post it...my excuse is that it was a head high cut and I don't get alot of practice on them. LOL!
Post it,I'm bored:popcorn:

None of my mistakes ever seem to lead to anything good

Don't be so hard on yourself. . . How many trees have you fell? 100? I know guys that have 40 years and 200,000 trees that miss the off side. Or they cut too much holdwood, or dutch one side and it pulls the tree.

Well said. Now be quiet...you're gonna ruin our image. :laugh:

LOL! Had that unit been thinned properly they might have had some..actually I left...some...LOL! It is going to be put back in pine this Spring I heard. The back half of this place will be peeled 2moro...90% is coming out...0 regen. The piece I started this morning will cut out about 3 or 4 loads an acre...of course I am guessing though. Should be $40,000 in pine coming off of 54 acres, not solid pine...so I'm cutting the oak off of it also. :chainsaw:

Latest posts

Back