Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some fun from yesterday, 8 hrs and just the co-dom in the pic is about all I got done. Ended up using my 260 with a 20" cause the big saws where probably going to chuck me off the boards or cut into the still standing bit, which turned out to be nearly completely rotten... Think my poor ole 260 is about done... getting hard to keep it tuned.

20161025_132142[1].jpg

I bore each side, then just whop em with ye ole axe a few times, usually works.

Bore em at a slight angle, narrow end towards center of stump... duh right... I cut em pretty deep so that most of the steel on the boards is covered, a good 6-8"

I've seen folks bore in on the back side of the notch which works, but takes better aim and perfectly placed notches to allow said boring, I like just putting em where I wants em and calling it a day, its bad enough being on em, but not having em where ya need em is just a total pain in the ass.

Wanna see an ugly stump?

Ugly_Stump.jpg

OK, it's not actually as bad as it looks. It's a buckskin snag that we pushed over with the Gradall. I crippled it up enough to get it to crack because the damn thing held on much better than expected. I didn't want to commit to falling it because the top was so bad and I didn't want it coming back on me. Later in the day a top did exactly that and smashed a bunch of the glass on the machine. I'm super happy that we have equipment to take hazards so I don't have to.

It's the back of a firing range. We had about 300 acres burn there last year and another 500 this year. We finally got the green light to take out snags near roads so these are all snags that 1) the machines couldn't push over unassisted and 2) I didn't trust the tops enough to just cut myself so I crippled them enough that the machines could do the work while I was back out of the way. Here's a few more.

20161104_094403.jpg 20161104_095141.jpg 20161104_095217.jpg 20161104_095428.jpg 20161104_095708.jpg

Some fun from yesterday, 8 hrs and just the co-dom in the pic is about all I got done. Ended up using my 260 with a 20" cause the big saws where probably going to chuck me off the boards or cut into the still standing bit, which turned out to be nearly completely rotten... Think my poor ole 260 is about done... getting hard to keep it tuned.

View attachment 533510
when i have to plank something i use the same notches..except when my planks are in i hammer in wedges(nylon) so wcb won't have a field day on me.

I'm owner operator down here so the safety nannies can piss up a rope.

Some stuff is smart, but a lot of it just wastes time and effort.

Chaps for instance, chaps are good, unless you have 50 pounds of other **** you have to carry, and still be able to run, then chaps not so good.

Hard hats, I like hard hats, hard hats save lives and trees fight back.

Safefy glasses/ mesh shields, personally I think I get more **** in my eyes with that stuff on then without.

As for wedging in the boards, meh, with the steel end biting in there isn't really a reason for it, now if it was some field made versions then yes wack a wedge in to keep things tight fer sure.

Latest posts

Back